WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Default Coffee on the trail...

Nobody here a fan of chicory? I'd never had it before I met my wife, her family's from LA. Community coffee and chicory is pretty good.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

The one that is involved in the production of civet coffee is often called a civet cat, but civet is a term applied to a lot of different critters.

According to Wikipedia, the Asian palm civet is in the Viverridae family. "Viverrids are the most primitive of all the families of feliformCarnivora and clearly less specialized than the Felidae(cats)."

-FA

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I don't know who came up with the idea of creating a beverage by steeping refined animal feces in hot water and then selling it to food snobs for $100 a cup, but I like to think that they did so as part of an elaborate prank.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I don't know who came up with the idea of creating a beverage by steeping refined animal feces in hot water and then selling it to food snobs for $100 a cup, but I like to think that they did so as part of an elaborate prank.
    It's actually very very common for seeds to pass through digestive tracts completely unharmed. That is Nature's Way of dispersing the seeds from plants and trees. Animals eat the fruit, and new trees grow where the seeds are pooped out.

The processing of coffee cherry seeds can be done several ways. One of which that is natural involves just allowing the pulp to decompose on the Cherry for a while and this can enhance certain flavors.

However the flavor of a cat's poop, is not exactly one that is probably appealing to me.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-26-2018 at 18:03.

Fair enough, but how often do humans consume those seeds directly?

If the only coffee beans left were a pile that had been pooped out, I'm game. With all the other options available, not so much.

And with the new rules on service animals, I'll never get my Civet on a flight to Atlanta

Maybe it is the same people who wash the feces out of filthy pig intestines and then stuff the intestines with the worst of left over meat, micro ground bone and gristle, and fat scraps selling it to non discriminating food like product lovers.

How about tripe, chitlens, pig's feet, and shortbreads?

Lots of disgusting stuff we all consume without ever realizing it...food snobs or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Maybe it is the same people who wash the feces out of filthy pig intestines and then stuff the intestines with the worst of left over meat, micro ground bone and gristle, and fat scraps selling it to non discriminating food like product lovers.

Lots of disgusting stuff we all consume without ever realizing it...food snobs or not.
    Glad you didn’t include haggis in that list, sir!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Those are all rational and cheap uses of left over scrap food, which is entirely different than painstakingly pulling coffee out of the tropics in the least efficient process possible.

And when was the last time you pair $100 a serving for any the of meats listed?

With civet coffee you're not eating or intended to eat civet poop. It's intended one eats the partially digested coffee cherries civets nosh. The partially digested cherries and poop are not just put into the Kuerig.

Plenty of partially digested, waste product, refined waste product, or in a state of rotting(decay) foods and drinks are consumed. We don't noemally perceive it that way though. Maybe, at least part of the reason is because we are so disconnected from knowing the source of our food, what's in it, and how it arrives on our plates.

Well, washing the poop out of pigs intestines to make sausage isn't rational to everyone. It also seems rather painstakingly extreme. Perhaps, though it doesnt seem so to the farmer or butcher looking to squeeze every dollar of profit from the animal.

No doubt though civet coffee is a gourmet coffee.

Some might say the same about some of the very high priced hiking gear with little significant increase in performance.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

With civet coffee you're not eating or intended to eat civet poop. It's intended one eats the partially digested coffee cherries civets nosh. The partially digested cherries and poop are not just put into the Kuerig.

Plenty of partially digested, waste product, refined waste product, or in a state of rotting(decay) foods and drinks are consumed. We don't noemally perceive it that way though. Maybe, at least part of the reason is because we are so disconnected from knowing the source of our food, what's in it, and how it arrives on our plates.
    We're clearly having different conversations.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 02-27-2018 at 00:32.

The one time I tried civet coffee it was under $20(US). It was a novelty similar in my mind to eating grasshoppers or drinking a hoity toity micro brew. Plus, I'm involved in Kona and Ka'u coffee production and, sometimes distribution. Civet coffee varies in cost depending on how much actual cherry came from the civet. That's why my experience only cost me under $20.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

The one time I tried civet coffee it was under $20(US). It was a novelty similar in my mind to eating grasshoppers or drinking a hoity toity micro brew. Plus, I'm involved in Kona and Ka'u coffee production and, sometimes distribution. Civet coffee varies in cost depending on how much actual cherry came from the civet. That's why my experience only cost me under $20.
    That may soften my view a bit, the few times I've seen it offered, the price was in the $100 range, which is what my incredulity stems from. $20 a cup I could agree falls more into the catagory of novel, rather than nuts.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 02-27-2018 at 00:48.

Maybe, at one time out of necessity. Today it can be argued it's done primarily out of a profit incentive.

Either way people are using what's locally available and creating markets for such products.

I feel you though. Talk about sticker shock.

+1

There’s a huge difference between extravagance and efficiency. For me, the best soup includes many leftovers and remains — and is all the better for helping to use as many parts of foods as possible. I also greatly admire the resourcefulness of folks around the world in the foods they eat. I’ve come to at least acknowledge the taste of natto, essentially rotten soybeans. I’ve not tried — nor do I know anyone who has — our local indigenous Huron / Wendat delicacy of rotten corn. But I do admire them for the more than 100 varieties of corn they consumed in so many varied ways.

I like good coffee. I buy good coffee to drink at home. I’ve even tried a cup of civet coffee. (It was remarkable and distinctive.) However, I can’t justify those prices … That’s extravagance.

Quote Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
    I don't really drink coffee, I am more of a tea drinker. As such, I don't have a coffee palette. So when wealthy relatives gave me a cup of civet coffee, I couldn't taste any real difference from $10/bag coffee.

Sometimes it is more expensive to have a refined palette and for that frugal reason, I shall refrain.

Also, isn't a civet a weasel rather than a feline?

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Taste and cost of civet coffee depends on many factors. Not the least being how much actual partially digested cherry the brew contains.

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++