WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Images

Starbucks instant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

tasters choice - makes the same finger type sleeves as Starbucks Via and is one helluvalot cheaper than starbucks, and I like it better.

Short trips and car camping, i love my percolator. Backpacking, VIA makes my day. I mixed it with my morning cereal.

Lots of good info and some different/new things to try - was surprised about to hear such good things about Starbucks VIA. I like bold coffee, but have found SBucks to be a bit bitter.

I will try the above suggestions on some day hike/climbing trips as testing ground before a backpack trip to ensure I find one I like.

In total agreement aout the course grind: I picked up a Burr grinder just for that purpose.

Look forward to trying these various coffee experiments - Yum.

I use the single serving instant packs and mix it with a pack of hot chocolate (mocha morning). This gives me the coffee flavor and caffeine to start the day, and some extra calories from the hot chocolate. This is my morning go to when I hike.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

G7 instant Vietnamese coffee - already sweetened and whitened. A real pick-me-up first thing in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Cafe Bustello Instant espresso

If you're going to do cowboy coffee it works best if you use a coarse grind, which settles out MUCH better than a really fine grind.
    You can do it with fine ground coffee too. Then it's called Turkish coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    I use the single serving instant packs and mix it with a pack of hot chocolate (mocha morning). This gives me the coffee flavor and caffeine to start the day, and some extra calories from the hot chocolate. This is my morning go to when I hike.
    I've been packing Starbuck's Via, but I like this idea. I may try it next time. I could use some more carbs at breakfast (to go with my cheese and sausage).

Coffee bags give me a better taste, than instant coffee.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    tasters choice - makes the same finger type sleeves as Starbucks Via and is one helluvalot cheaper than starbucks, and I like it better.
    I'm pretty addicted to VIA and it bothers me because of the price! Thanks for this suggestion HeartFire. Just loaded my Amazon cart with some of this Taster's Choice.
    hikers gonna hike

Quote Originally Posted by Ercoupe View Post
    Coffee bags give me a better taste, than instant coffee.
    I agree. However....

This subject will be debated a million more times. I see it like every other issue of what to take. 4 question test.

1) Do you need it? If no leave it home. That is lightest option. Don't even consider question 2 through 4.
    2) Is there a lighter option?
    3) Is the lighter option affordable?
    4) Is the lighter option functional?

For me the answers are as follows:

1) Yes... I need it more than my tent.
    2) VIA is the lightest option.
    3) VIA is likely the most expensive option, but still more affordable than a cuben fiber tent.
    4) Via is closest to the real thing (according to my taste buds).

Every opinion will be subject to those 4 questions.

1) If you don't consider it a priority, you won't take it.
    2) If weight is not a big deal, you might carry a press.
    3) If cost is the greatest consideration, you will go for a cheap instant.
    4) If taste is the primary factor, you will have the real stuff in some form.

Everyone dances around those 4 tests, rather they realize it or not.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I love Starbucks but am tired of paying the high price. I also like to drink organic, so I shopped around and found two instant organic coffees that actually taste quite good. Mount Hagen and Cafe Altura. Put some in a baggie and no extra garbage....:-)

Great decision making process......

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I agree. However....

This subject will be debated a million more times. I see it like every other issue of what to take. 4 question test.

1) Yes... I need it more than my tent. AGREED
    2) VIA is the lightest option. I WILL CARRY MORE WEIGHT FOR REAL TASTE
    3) VIA is likely the most expensive option, but still more affordable than a cuben fiber tent. NOT MORE EXPENSIVE THAN SNOWPEAK PRESS
    4) Via is closest to the real thing (according to my taste buds) GOING TO PICK SOME UP - WILL WEIGH IN ON THIS AFTER TASTE TEST

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFishNut View Post
    Great decision making process......
    3) VIA is likely the most expensive option, but still more affordable than a cuben fiber tent. NOT MORE EXPENSIVE THAN SNOWPEAK PRESS
    More expensive than a 5 month supply of VIA? That is one expensive press.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

eh, real backpackers chew their coffee anyway. Bring beans.

Images

It's always fun to debate coffee tastes! I'll never, ever, ever understand how people can actually enjoy weak coffees, but I also prefer to wear blue/black/grey tones of hiking clothing and others prefer reds/yellows/greens!

Yeah, Starbucks vias are pretty expensive, but Costco carries them at about 60 cents a packet, sometimes a tad cheaper. I drink two each morning, times 120 mornings on the trail (after subtracting town stop mornings) that's less than $150 for an entire AT thru, about a third of the cost of a Cuben tent, whew!

I did find a Folgers instant, called "black silk" that was less expensive and still pretty tasty. I think they were about 40 cents each. I mixed those in with the Vias for a good part of my AT hike.

Way back decades ago I tried the coffee press thing off and on for backpacking, then went instant for some time, then Vias came out and I was in Nirvana; great taste, closest to real coffee in an instant I had ever tasted. But this all being said, I think next long hike I'll try the cowboy coffee thing, thanks for mentioning this yet again Hikes in Rain and SW... the only thing that might be a downer on this is the weight of the coffee, I'm thinking a tad more than Via's.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    eh, real backpackers chew their coffee anyway. Bring beans.
    You joke, but this is true for myself on winter trips; I bring chocolate covered coffee beans, delicious!

Coffee beans coffee beans the magical fruit
    The more you drink the more you toot
    The more you toot the faster you'll hike
    crop dustin' hikers as you're wavin' g'bye

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    It's always fun to debate coffee tastes! I'll never, ever, ever understand how people can actually enjoy weak coffees, but I also prefer to wear blue/black/grey tones of hiking clothing and others prefer reds/yellows/greens!

Yeah, Starbucks vias are pretty expensive, but Costco carries them at about 60 cents a packet, sometimes a tad cheaper. I drink two each morning, times 120 mornings on the trail (after subtracting town stop mornings) that's less than $150 for an entire AT thru, about a third of the cost of a Cuben tent, whew!

I did find a Folgers instant, called "black silk" that was less expensive and still pretty tasty. I think they were about 40 cents each. I mixed those in with the Vias for a good part of my AT hike.

Way back decades ago I tried the coffee press thing off and on for backpacking, then went instant for some time, then Vias came out and I was in Nirvana; great taste, closest to real coffee in an instant I had ever tasted. But this all being said, I think next long hike I'll try the cowboy coffee thing, thanks for mentioning this yet again Hikes in Rain and SW... the only thing that might be a downer on this is the weight of the coffee, I'm thinking a tad more than Via's.
    The Folger's black silk is pretty good. Not quite as good as Via, but the price is much better.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFishNut View Post
    I LOVE COFFEE.

I love my percolator, but it's too heavy. I'm leaning towards the Snow Peak coffee press (b/c it is light and makes 3 cups at a time - all for ME ME ME).

Anyone have a favorite coffee set-up they can recommend for consideration?

Happy New Year,
    FFN
    Just get an aluminum model they are lighter by a lot.
    Love my perkie pot also dig it from a moka pot and another fan of cowboy coffee. Way to brew all depends on my mood
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++