WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Nescafe.
    Measure out, ahead of time, 1 tsp coffee, + 1/2 tsp creamer, + 1/2 tsp sugar x N trail cups into zip lock bag.
    Don't forget to add the bag into your kitchen.
    Wake up, roll over, dress somewhat, start stove to boil water.
    Knead coffee zip lock to be sure mixed. Add 1 tsp to Sierra cup, (still got mine!) enjoy the morning.
    Sometimes it's even good coffee.☺
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Images

Going waaaay back for the linked thread, I still use Skidsteer's Coffee Maker for the Trail. One of the best pieces of kit I've ever had.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthre...ghlight=coffee
    Last edited by Farr Away; 01-22-2016 at 14:20. Reason: problem with the link

Journal Entries
    Images

Meet the tiniest little percolator. It's an old Comet 2 Cup that I found on eBay. 180g of coffee goodness! Interesting thing is that the 35g core fits perfectly inside the Olicamp XTS:
    image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Where did you find that little coffee pot? Some people are knife junkies yeah I'm one of them to also stoves cook sets but especially love coffee toys lol
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Journal Entries
    Images

eBay search for Comet Percolator.
    I seem to be a stove/fire junkie....just can't settle on one thing, and carry multiples on short trips just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by bikebum1975 View Post
    Where did you find that little coffee pot? Some people are knife junkies yeah I'm one of them to also stoves cook sets but especially love coffee toys lol
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Yeah same here. To many toys to little money/space. I just happen to have a thing for vintage stoves and coffee gadgets. Got an old Coleman perkie about the size of yours
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Love my micro expresso maker, but even at several ounces, it is too heavy except for day hikes.
    Use a conical filter and rubber band it to the rim of your cup, add grounds, pour boiling water, wait a few minutes. Alternatively, I have a plastic filter holder designed to sit over a cup at home. It is very light, like maybe two ounces but is it not small. In fact bigger than my cup.
    The rubber band is not ideal, but it weights next to nothing. Carry an extra band or two. They break.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    eh, real backpackers chew their coffee anyway. Bring beans.
    I have experimented with chocolate covered coffee beans. 6 or 7 give a serious caffeine rush and they taste good. If you are hard core, you can carry espresso roasted whole beans and just eat them. (Yes, I have done it. My coffee addicted female companion was appalled. I am no longer with her.) A box of them resides in my truck for a quick caffeine rush when I am without sleep and need to make miles.
    There is a "breakfast trail mix" out there that has chocolate covered beans in it. Presumably so you can pack and go without brewing or boiling. Pretty hard core itself.

Images

Grind your favorite beans. Fill empty one time use tea bags (you can buy them empty, drawstring or heat seal, and in different sizes). Basically a DIY version of those single packet Folgers and Maxwell House "coffee singles". Ground coffee goes stale quickly. Don't grind and fill too far in advance. Store in a ziplock. Immerse in hot water when required. If you like real cream, you can buy the mini-moo 1/2 and 1/2 cups that don't require refrigeration.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Grind your favorite beans. Fill empty one time use tea bags (you can buy them empty, drawstring or heat seal, and in different sizes). Basically a DIY version of those single packet Folgers and Maxwell House "coffee singles". Ground coffee goes stale quickly. Don't grind and fill too far in advance. Store in a ziplock. Immerse in hot water when required. If you like real cream, you can buy the mini-moo 1/2 and 1/2 cups that don't require refrigeration.
    Hmmmmm -- This sounds good. I can coarse grind my favorite beans (I would guess the tea mesh is for leaves - so a coarse grind will help keep the grounds from sifting through). I've never seen empty tea bags for sale, I'm guessing Amazon? There are some upscale tea shops around here, but they probably charge a lot more. - Thanks for this idea.

I did a 2 night trip and brought those Sbucks Via's and drank 3-5 per morning and didn't love them, but were OK. Being in the snow and surrounded by great scenery makes everything taste better.

Instant with 2 sugar packets, maybe a little creamer packet if I remember to pack. Easier the better I say.

I recently tried Nescafé azera espresso, picked it up at the Walmart. It mixes very nicely, has a nice creamy mouthfeel and isn't overly bitter. I highly recommend. I'm looking forward to drinking it on its own, but I love mixing with chocolate whey protein.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never seen Nescafe Azera Espresso in our local Walmart. Is it regional? What part of US are you in?

Default Coffee on the trail...

Quote Originally Posted by bikebum1975 View Post
    I've had one of these pots since the mid 1950's, so they've been around a while. Inherited from my dad.

I know that doesn't help you but, just saying.
    Last edited by Deacon; 02-02-2016 at 07:41.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    I've never seen Nescafe Azera Espresso in our local Walmart. Is it regional? What part of US are you in?
    I'm in Santa Fe, nm. And to be fair walmart has an annoying tendency to randomly stop carrying things I am hooked on. This is one of the old school ( non super center) Walmarts with a mostly Hispanic clientele. I also work in the pharmacy there, so have the benefit of seeing the stacks often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I'll look in our local Walmart for this.

I mix my 'instant', sugar and 'creamer', all in a zip-lock. Then I mix it up, put three spoonful in a cup and add water. That is the same I drink at home, so I'm good......

Images

I just make cowboy coffee. boil water add grounds wait and drink. Instant coffee is just nasty....It had to be said.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

http://youtube/C2J_5WxELyo

This is how I make my coffee on the trail....
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++