WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    I've mostly eliminated coffee altogether on the trail. In the morning I pop a 200mg caffeine pill and at lunch mix up an energy drink that contains caffeine. That keep me from going through withdrawal symptoms plus extends my gas canister, I since I only need to do one burn a day.
    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    What brand name caffeine pill?

Journal Entries

Folger's instant in the little sleeves. I use two to my cooking pot/cup (gotta love dual purpose gear lol) and that is enough to get me going in the morning. I drink it black so no frills for me!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I can't believe I read the Huffington Post.
    Yeah, same here. I was convinced instant Starbucks beat anything else (instant wise) hands down, but now that the Huff Post says Starbuck's capture 3 out of the top 15 instant coffees (#1, #3 and #11), I'm going to have to reconsider and drink some other swill....

Rob,
    Try #4 on the list. Cafe Bustelo single serve instant. 6 servings for $1.00 at Target.

Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Rob,
    Try #4 on the list. Cafe Bustelo single serve instant. 6 servings for $1.00 at Target.
    I will! thanks for the tip.

You're welcome.

Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

We use one of these steepers (from Campmor if I remember correctly) with whatever decent coffee we can find in town...nothing beats real fresh brewed coffee and at less than an ounce, it's worth the weight!

coffee.jpg
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Journal Entries
    Images

As much as I'm a coffee snob when I'm at home, on the trail I really couldn't care less. I go to Wally World and buy the cheapest (Great Value TM) single serve instant coffee packets. While I'm there I'll pick up some single serve Yoo Hoo chocolate milk packets, too. With that, you have your choice of three hot drinks on the trail: Coffee, cocoa, or mocha choke'a latte.

Barney's Brew Sticks-I get them at my local Ingles Market.They are not a stick,it's a finger sized tube with highly concentrated coffee liquid in it.Smoothest coffee I have ever tasted and would drink it every day but for the price.Less waste than "tea bag coffee",no grounds to dispose of,not as convenient as instant crystals but a much better drink overall.Just my opinion as everyone's tastes are different.

Quote Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
    Article - Taste Test: The Best Instant Coffee

To the coffee snobs: try each of those until you find one you like. Starbucks VIA (already mentioned up-thread) and Jacob's Kronung are excellent. I've had "Medaglia D’Oro" instant espresso too and you'd be hard pressed to tell it's instant.

I can't fathom bring a freaking coffee press on the trail.
    If coffee is important to you, the extra ounce or two for a press made for your jetboil isn't a very steep weight penalty. Bringing an entire coffee press system that isn't part of your stove/ cookware... well, again, hyoh - and if "good" coffee is that high on one's priority list, so be it.

A press does take up space in the pack and it's another gizmo to keep track of.
    2 no votes from me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    A press does take up space in the pack and it's another gizmo to keep track of.
    2 no votes from me.

I cant keep track of gear I wear everyday, like a hat. I would surely lose a coffee press.

Why I favor bright colored small "stuff" - maybe (!) I won't loose it/them then.

Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    If coffee is important to you, the extra ounce or two for a press made for your jetboil isn't a very steep weight penalty. Bringing an entire coffee press system that isn't part of your stove/ cookware... well, again, hyoh - and if "good" coffee is that high on one's priority list, so be it.
    My frustration with the press is that it's a pain to clean. You have to deal with the coffee grounds each time and rinse them out. Other methods are much simpler in that regard. For example, the Aeropress basically just pops them out at the bottom. I love french press coffee, it's just not worth it to me on the trail.

Even a cup of instant coffee in the woods is paradise.
    "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." - S. Sontag

i drink coffee with milk at home. After coming back from Philmont (where I brought plenty of Starbucks Via instant), I'm a mocha convert when backpacking.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Miel View Post
    Believe it or not, those cheap little $1 jars of Pampa instant are quite tasty! A little sweet even without sugar... They last about three days for a person who drinks 5 - 6 cuppas a day. So, maybe two jars if you're going into a town once a week or so. I'm fine with instant; I don't like the waste of the aforementioned Folger's singles (the packaging). But I'm obsessed with these things. I have to have my hot coffee throughout the day,
    I wonder if I could use small squares of white muslin to make coffee bags? I could tie them shut with cotton string or the mentioned staples. It would be simpler and lighter than using my cup filters. Just a thought. I may try it.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    My frustration with the press is that it's a pain to clean. You have to deal with the coffee grounds each time and rinse them out. Other methods are much simpler in that regard. For example, the Aeropress basically just pops them out at the bottom. I love french press coffee, it's just not worth it to me on the trail.
    Ditto here. I regularly use a French Press at home, but on the trail I just bounce between what ever instant I find at the store.

For years I swore I wouldn't become a coffee drinker. Even made it through 5 years active duty Army without going to the dark side......then I got deployed to Iraq working 20+ hours a day for weeks at a time.

Now, I love coffee. I'm not a snob by any means, but I do appreciate a good cup (or 5) in the morning, but on the trail anything that's light and doesn't require an extra pack-out is from ne in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmountainguy View Post
    I wonder if I could use small squares of white muslin to make coffee bags? I could tie them shut with cotton string or the mentioned staples. It would be simpler and lighter than using my cup filters. Just a thought. I may try it.
    I don't see why that wouldn't work. Bonus if you carry one piece of muslin and reuse it.

I have tried the tea bags that you seal with an iron but found they weren't big enough for the amount of coffee that I wanted in each bag.

3:1 Thai instant coffee packs.

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++