WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

"Because that is what nature chose so don't dare alter it. "

but wait.... aren't we human animals?
    and isn't it a natural desire we have to go out and hike in these environments?
    and in doing the things we do, isn't that natural? It is our natural instinct...a natural thing.
    So really...how is us pooping in the woods, or scratching up the bark on a tree, any different than the dear or bears doing the same thing?

I was thinking about invasive species the other day. Battling torpedo grass in my yard. So man imported this stuff from China or someplace, and it was an experiment gone wrong. But really who's to say that it wasn't meant to be? A natural evolution of sorts?
    Same for lion fish on the Florida reefs.
    and same for lots of other things.

I don't know....just seems a bit presumptuous of us to think that somehow the things we do are on some higher plane and not "natural".

My thinking is that it might be somehow better to consider how to be a good steward in all that we do. To minimize or eliminate our impact, so that the next person, bear, or deer, to come along can enjoy the place just like we did....

Bloody poor yanks have a lot to blame on your ancestors. You realise that if they hadn't of dumped all that tea in Boston Harbour, you'd be a civilized tea drinker like the rest of the world that has an english colonial background. Even we convicts drink it.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    Bloody poor yanks have a lot to blame on your ancestors. You realise that if they hadn't of dumped all that tea in Boston Harbour, you'd be a civilized tea drinker like the rest of the world that has an english colonial background. Even we convicts drink it.
    Funny you should boast about that. According to BBC News y'all were dedicated coffee drinkers until the coffee rust blight was accidentally introduced into the colonial regions that produced coffee plants wiping out the crop almost entirely. The Empire's fondness for tea is in large part because that's what they had that was left to grow.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFishNut View Post
    I LOVE COFFEE
    Me too!

Are you backpacking to hike? Or to camp? If I backpack to camp, I bring one of those plastic drip cones and make pour over. If i'm backpacking to hike, I'm a gram weenie, and I'm not carrying anything extra. So I go instant. I like Starbuck Veranda in the via packets. Cafe Bustelo also does the via style packages, and I like their instant expresso a lot. I buy a small jar, and dump it into a freezer baggie. If I'm on a long-distant hike, I put a jar in my bounce box.

I usually mix up a water bottle's worth of Carnation Nido instant milk the night before. Some goes in my coffee, some goes in my oatmeal, granola, whatever, and the rest gets mixed with a packet of Carnation Essentials, with more instant coffee, to consume whilst hiking.

cafe-bustelo-dark-roast-instant-espresso-coffee-3-5-oz-1-ct.jpeg
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Is it okay to cat hole the spent grounds?

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    This yank drinks both tea is preferred night drink for relaxing coffee is to keeo me going tea just doesn't have that same punch
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Quote Originally Posted by bikebum1975 View Post
    This yank drinks both tea is preferred night drink for relaxing coffee is to keeo me going tea just doesn't have that same punch
    this ^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    apparently only if you eat them first.....

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    apparently only if you eat them first.....
    now that’s! Funny

Though how will one know the difference in a GI bleed?

better than drinking them.

Some of you don’t seem to get it. It’s not about burying them so they aren’t seen. It’s about animals coming and digging the grounds near campsites. LNT isn’t just about not leaving litter, it’s also about reducing animal impact on campers, especially nuisance or possible dangerous ones like bears.

If you can’t be bothered to pack out your grounds in an effort to keep bears out of campsites, then maybe you should consider switching to instant.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    Some of you don’t seem to get it. It’s not about burying them so they aren’t seen. It’s about animals coming and digging the grounds near campsites. LNT isn’t just about not leaving litter, it’s also about reducing animal impact on campers, especially nuisance or possible dangerous ones like bears.

If you can’t be bothered to pack out your grounds in an effort to keep bears out of campsites, then maybe you should consider switching to instant.
    Yeah, you're right. I've changed my mind on it being ok to burying grounds, but again, for the record, I've never done it as I am indeed an instant coffee drinker on the trail, especially since those micro ground coffees came out, like Charbucks, er, Starbucks via's.

Answer: only if you drink it first.

Reminded me immediately of something called cat poop coffee. It's actually a civet, not a cat. But it goes thru the civet first. Very pricey stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ505 View Post
    . . . Reminded me immediately of something called cat poop coffee. . .
    As you suggest. Detailed here.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post

which is the reason for the old school technique of “dispersion through broadcasting”

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    which is the reason for the old school technique of “dispersion through broadcasting”
    Or the even older school “Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LDog View Post
    Or the even older school “Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.”

I'm fairly certain the "older school" was "chop fresh pine boughs to use as a sleeping mat." and "Make sure to use your campfire burn out the food residue in your tin cans before you bury them at your campsite."

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I'm fairly certain the "older school" was "chop fresh pine boughs to use as a sleeping mat." and "Make sure to use your campfire burn out the food residue in your tin cans before you bury them at your campsite."
    I’ll have to take yer word for it. I’m only 62 ....

L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LDog View Post
    I’ll have to take yer word for it. I’m only 62 ....

No need to take my word for it, I have the source material handy

The Golden Book of Camping and Camp Crafts. Copyright 1959. One of my favorite childhood possessions

IMG_2028.JPGIMG_2029.JPGIMG_2030.JPG.

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++