WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Does raw organic UMF 20 + Manuka honey or raw organic honey taken from the hives 400 ft from my door on an organic farm in Hawaii meet your requirements? The farms on either side of me and across the street are also 100% organic. Big push back from small farms /growers in HI concerning GMO's and rampant industrial AG chemical use. It's the same farm we grow organic 100% KONA Coffee. No cheapened Kona coffee blends for me. Truth in advertising. Watch what you pay for. The bees on the farm are largely making their honey from the coffee and macadamia nut trees on the farm.

Some go so far to only
    Off topic, but the vegetables and fruits grown in middle East , in area with little water, using sheep manure primarly as fertilizer, put most in my local American supermarket to shame. Their size , quality, and vibrant colors are noticeable by comparison. Of course they also use a lot of plastic to preserve moisture in ground, and drip lines for irrigation. By comparison, what us grocery's carry is pure $hit. Something's wrong in big Agra....

IMG_20180204_162053766.jpg
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-27-2018 at 18:38.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Ahh, the capitalists have spoken. He he

BTW, civet coffee like some other coffee is more about the preperation method.

Think about civet coffee in the same way as valuing a rare 30 yr scotch or $200 bottle of wine or $50 steak dinner or that gas guzzler luxury vehicle or Mcmansion Americans can be fond.
    Not being a vegan, I suppose I am hypocritical for this thought, but the large scale production of civet coffee seems pretty cruel. Then again, maybe it's no worse than keeping and milking cows. Maybe we need free range civets...

http://world.time.com/2013/10/02/the...-cynical-scam/

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    ...Something's wrong in big Agra....

IMG_20180204_162053766.jpg
    I agree but that's a tangential topic IMO really for a different forum.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Not being a vegan, I suppose I am hypocritical for this thought, but the large scale production of civet coffee seems pretty cruel. Then again, maybe it's no worse than keeping and milking cows. Maybe we need free range civets...

http://world.time.com/2013/10/02/the...-cynical-scam/
    Actually, its already been thought of. Some civet coffee is produced from free ranging wild civets.

BTW, when I highly espoused lofty 100% Kona coffee I was being hypocritical because the civet coffee I once sampled was not 100% civet coffee. I'm proud of the quality of the Kona coffee I've been involved in producing. I'm sure the same can be said of some that produce civet coffee.

Anyone tried using K Cups on the trail. Seems you could just add hot water and get the same result as a kurig. Not a good solution for a through hike, but may be good on 1- 5 nighter.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kayakpro View Post
    Anyone tried using K Cups on the trail. Seems you could just add hot water and get the same result as a kurig. Not a good solution for a through hike, but may be good on 1- 5 nighter.
    In addition to being expensive I don't know how you could mix them with water and make a mess unless you like cowboy coffee.
    Blackheart

not on the trail...but I can answer this one.

Last summer while in my RV, we were camping at Julian Price Campground along the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was a dry site so no electric. Well my RV coffee maker is a Keurig. I have a generator onboard, but there were tenters nearby and I'm an early riser.... and I try to be polite....so what is this early rising coffee drinker to do?

I tried exactly what you suggested. I heated some water on the stove, cut the foil top away and cut the bottom of the cup off.
    What happened is it worked....BUT.... the filter cup is just far too small, so you have to dribble the water in...and once you get some water through and the paper filter gets plugged a bit it runs even slower.
    So what I started to do is, dump the grounds into the pot of hot water to steep a bit, then used a paper towel over the cup as a filter. It worked very much better....and the coffee grounds steeping in the water made a much tastier brew then just pouring it through...so a win win.
    Later, I bought a cheap french press at Ikea to keep for future use when I'm in a similar situation....

So to answer your question.... you'd be much better off just bringing along some grounds (better and cheaper)...and something to filter them through.

Journal Entries

Keurig is horrible coffee to start with. Oldest, stalest stuff you can get. The grind is fine to work with the 1 min brew time, and cold 190 f water. The cups also only have about 10g, enough for a 6 oz cup. Not 8, not 10, not 12, or whatever other ridiculous quantities the machine allow.

Easiest and lightest for trail is packs of instant. It suits me, and I'm a bit of a 3rd wave coffee enthusiast, who roasts coffee. Your not going to make "good" coffee on trail, so why make things overly difficult. It's why I don't bother most of time.

Or, you could try this. My well meaning but clueless wife gave me one of these for Christmas:

https://www.briping.com

I'll sell it cheap...... What a frickin ridiculous idea.....yes, it's a small blowtorch ... It's ultralight compared to an anvil.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-04-2018 at 11:09.

I’m a coffee snob and would rather drink pond scum than instant coffee. Any brew method adds too much weight, so I just take a caffeine pill in the morning and a caffeinated energy drink at lunch to ward off the dreaded caffeine headache. When I get home, I make a pot of pour over coffee and my regret of the trips’ ending is much diminished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

to say "Keurig is horrible coffee" is a bit of an over statement and a huge generalization. I'll say that I have found more varieties that I don't like than the ones I do but I have found a few that make pretty good coffee. Gevallia Dark Royal is pretty good in my estimation....and Pete's Major Dickson's Blend is my current favorite. Granted it aint fresh ground...but there are plenty of fresh ground cups I've tried that are far worse than these two choices (IMHO)....so I could say that fresh ground is horrible coffee.

The K-Cups I cut open in my earlier story were Gevallia Dark Royal roast, and brewed that way (steeped in a pot of water) I'd count it among the best coffee I've had. I'm convinced that steeping is far better than pour over, of course it depends on lots of variables.....but then that's me IMHO....I'm no trained barista, but I've paid for plenty of barista made over priced cups in my day to be just a little bit qualified....

Journal Entries
    Images

Looks like some kind of crack pipe... ��

I'll sell it cheap...... What a frickin ridiculous idea.....yes, it's a small blowtorch ... It's ultralight compared to an anvil.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Keurig is horrible coffee to start with. Oldest, stalest stuff you can get. The grind is fine to work with the 1 min brew time, and cold 190 f water. The cups also only have about 10g, enough for a 6 oz cup. Not 8, not 10, not 12, or whatever other ridiculous quantities the machine allow.
    I have a Keurig machine at the office, but I have a bunch of Solofill filters and brew from fresh-ground. As long as I grind fine enough, the result is pretty fair. You're right about the prepackaged stuff!

Easiest and lightest for trail is packs of instant. It suits me, and I'm a bit of a 3rd wave coffee enthusiast, who roasts coffee. Your not going to make "good" coffee on trail, so why make things overly difficult. It's why I don't bother most of time.
    Can't abide instant. Are you OK with drip brew from an old-fashioned pour-over? The GSI ultralight drip cone weighs about 12 grams. I find that it's a tradeoff between a coarse grid that won't brew properly in the limited contact time and a fine grind that will get through the filter, but with an added paper filter it's good. A #2 filter cone fits well, even though it's supposedly made for a #4. Or you can even fold a flat or basket fiter to fit. 12 grams plus the weight of ground coffee and filters is worth it to me to have drinkable coffee.

'Le café américain a un avantage, un défaut, et une mystère. L'avantage: il ne contient pas de chicorée. Le défaut: il ne contient même pas de café non plus. La mystère: pourquoi est-il noir?'
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Or, you could try this. My well meaning but clueless wife gave me one of these for Christmas:

Did you try it?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Did you try it?
    No.

I imagine it will make 2-3 oz coffee via immersion all right.

But at 1.5 lb.....theres easier ways

A scale and french press would be lighter.......

I’m sure it’s been mentioned somewhere else in the thread, but the MSR mug mate works well. Weighs about 1oz. Just bring a ziplock of your favorite coffee. Good option for weekend trips.

No.

I imagine it will make 2-3 oz coffee via immersion all right.

But at 1.5 lb.....theres easier ways

A scale and french press would be lighter.......
    Yeah...and less chance of getting busted for possession of drug paraphernalia.

All this goes away if ya just drink tea

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    So what kind of tea?

Assam, Darjeeling, Lapsang Souchong, Yorkshire Gold. All loose.

#ducks&runs

Journal Entries
    Images

Ooo, I like Lapsang Souchong, my wife hates it though. Assam is always nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    So what kind of tea?

Assam, Darjeeling, Lapsang Souchong, Yorkshire Gold. All loose.

#ducks&runs
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ah, don't get the tea snobs started!
    ...and you thought the coffee snobs were bad.

Seriously though, for some reason in recent years tea makes me nauseous.
    I've thought about caffeine pills, but that just seems to strip away all forms of excuse for my addiction and cuts right to the chase of being a druggie.... I enjoy coffee and would rather enjoy a mediocre cup than to take a pill. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    ah, don't get the tea snobs started!
    ...and you thought the coffee snobs were bad.

Seriously though, for some reason in recent years tea makes me nauseous.
    I've thought about caffeine pills, but that just seems to strip away all forms of excuse for my addiction and cuts right to the chase of being a druggie.... I enjoy coffee and would rather enjoy a mediocre cup than to take a pill. But that's just me.
    I’ve tried to like tea, I just can’t do it!

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
++ New Posts ++