WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Coffee on the trail...

I LOVE COFFEE.

I love my percolator, but it's too heavy. I'm leaning towards the Snow Peak coffee press (b/c it is light and makes 3 cups at a time - all for ME ME ME).

Anyone have a favorite coffee set-up they can recommend for consideration?

Happy New Year,
    FFN

Images

folgers instant

Images

Cowboy coffee. Just bring water almost to a boil. (I usually get it to boil, then wait a couple of minutes. Amounts to the same thing. Boiling coffee makes it bitter.) Add coffee, stir, and let sit five-ish minutes. Add a dash of cold water to make the grounds sit. I also use a small little strainer as I pour it to get the last of the grounds out. Wonderful coffee!

Another cowboy coffee. I use 1/4 c coffee, 1/4 c any type sugar (brown sugar give a pleasant molasses flavor). Set up your stove and pot with about 20 oz water the night before and let it soak. Fire up the stove first thing in the morning and bring just to boil, turn off stove and let steep 5 minutes. Grounds will sink to bottom, pour off coffee carefully into cup. By the time coffee is ready, tent is down and packed.

Images

That's a different way I'm going to have to try! Sounds like a good idea. I like honey in my coffee. Have since the 70's.

Starbuck's instant coffee is good. I think its called Via. A friend brought some on our last trip and I tight it was much better that other instant coffee. I haven't ever tried the backpack french press systems but I bet if you are willing to carry the weight it would be a better morning brew.
    Schnikel

Starbucks VIA. Lightest option for instant (most dense / takes less to produce desired consistency). Closest option to the real stuff taste. Most expensive option. But hey... its coffee.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Maxwell house makes a super concentrated liquid instant...1.62 oz. bottle makes 10 cups of coffee. I have used it in freshly filtered ice cold water from a stream in the summer, and in a cup of hot water on chilly mornings...my favorite flavor is the caramel...yum!!!

I used to be a major coffee snob and always brought my Jet Boil French Press. In recent years, I have found that the instant coffee has come a long way .... Now, I often just bring the instant packets..

I've used the MSR Mugmate for years and have been very pleased. It's very lightweight and makes a strong cup of coffee similar to a French press.

Cafe Bustello Instant espresso

If you're going to do cowboy coffee it works best if you use a coarse grind, which settles out MUCH better than a really fine grind.

Images

Coarse grind: yes, a very valid point. Makes all the difference.

GSI Commuter Java Press ... my one luxury item. Doubles as a nice "glass" to drink out of, I use it for hot and cold drinks when I'm tired of drinking out of a bottle. Keeps the coffee hot longer than any other option I've used on the trail.

I also love a hot cup-a-joe 1st thing in the am and often midday. Cold brewing is something I've been doing for a while now with satisfactory results. A lot of reputable brands are putting out "sleeves"/packets of acceptable instant coffee. I've tried all while camping and am satisfied with the instant coffees now that they're significantly improved over past types while keeping my pack load light.
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle-2013 View Post
    GSI Commuter Java Press ... my one luxury item. Doubles as a nice "glass" to drink out of, I use it for hot and cold drinks when I'm tired of drinking out of a bottle. Keeps the coffee hot longer than any other option I've used on the trail.

Only one one luxury item ????? ;0)

i guess I like the soft easy life. I have more!

thom

I do bring a cell phone and recharge battery.... I guess they could count as luxury too ... But that is about it ; )

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Images

Tried many methods, Tasters Choice packets, cowboy coffee, Melita cone with filter, french press. Have, for the past several years, settled on Nescafe Classico instant. The reasons:

Tasters Choice Packets assume a particular cup size, usually came out too weak or too strong.

Cowboy coffee - never could perfect getting the grounds to sink, always ended up chewing the last few swigs.

Melita Cone - GREAT coffee, but had to pack out the used filters and clean the cone.

French Press - Great coffee, but messy clean-up.

Classico - decent coffee, zero mess, infinitely adjustable for cup size and strength desired, compact to carry.

No right or wrong, just better/worse characteristics - you get to choose which is most important to you.

cowboy coffee - google it

Anyone put a pinch of salt in their coffee...pretty good. Learned that trick from an old boss and long time deli man.

Three kinds of coffee. Bitter and Strong and just right.
    Bitter coffee is made by too little coffee and too much water. (boiling puts too much water through the grind and leaches out the bitter oils)
    Strong coffee is too much coffee and not enough water.
    Finding the right amount of coffee, the right amount of water, and the right amount of cooking time is an art.
    I like Instant Folgers when out and about. Weak to strong is only a scoop a way.
    Rolls
    Last edited by Rolls Kanardly; 01-07-2016 at 01:33.
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++