WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Potato Soup

Default Potato Soup

Dehydrated scalloped potato mix from the grocery store makes a good base for potato soup. Add jerky or bacon bits, spinach leaves, corn, peas whatever. You can make a hearty chowder that really hits the spot afterv a day of hiking in cool weather.

The problem with this plan are the ingredients you have to ingest from the potato mix---

Ingredients Idaho Potatoes (Dried), Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Salt, Corn Starch, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Whey, Modified Corn Starch, Corn Syrup (Dried), Disodium Phosphate, Cheddar Cheese (Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes) (Dried), Maltodextrin, Nonfat Milk, Monosodium Glutamate, Mono and Diglycerides, Dextrose, Celery (Dried), Paprika, Sodium Caseinate, Natural Flavor, Onion (Dried), Blue Cheese (Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes) (Dried), Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein (Soy and Wheat), Yellow Lakes 5 and 6 and Other Color Added, Disodium Guanylate, Disodium Inosinate. Freshness Protected By Sodium Bisulfite.

True enough. Doesn't bother me

If all that extra stuff was bad for ya, I'd be dead by now...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I like Idahoan Steak House Potato Soup. The soup only requires 5 minutes of simmering and thickens up pretty good.

When you see the word "hydrogenated", you should avoid like the plague.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    When you see the word "hydrogenated", you should avoid like the plague.
    Yea, you want to stay away from that hydrogenated oxygen

BTW, the potato soup I mentioned does not have any "hydrogenated" anything in it... it's loaded with a whole bunch of other chemicals I might not be able to pronounce or spell... but hydrogenated isn't one of them.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    The problem with this plan are the ingredients you have to ingest from the potato mix---

Ingredients Idaho Potatoes (Dried), Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Salt, Corn Starch, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Whey, Modified Corn Starch, Corn Syrup (Dried), Disodium Phosphate, Cheddar Cheese (Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes) (Dried), Maltodextrin, Nonfat Milk, Monosodium Glutamate, Mono and Diglycerides, Dextrose, Celery (Dried), Paprika, Sodium Caseinate, Natural Flavor, Onion (Dried), Blue Cheese (Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes) (Dried), Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein (Soy and Wheat), Yellow Lakes 5 and 6 and Other Color Added, Disodium Guanylate, Disodium Inosinate. Freshness Protected By Sodium Bisulfite.
    All that stuff tastes so good :-)
    AGIF.gif

OK folks hike your own hike. We're all in charge of our own behavior. Next time I have a good backpacking recipe idea I like I'll keep it to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    OK folks hike your own hike. We're all in charge of our own behavior. Next time I have a good backpacking recipe idea I like I'll keep it to myself.
    Don't let the food (or in this particular case - soup) Nazis bother you.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Not bothering me. Just amazed at how our culture has transformed into being told what to do by everyone and everyone thinking they know more than everyone else. Its unbelievable. My idea for soup was a helpful tip to anyone who wanted it. My comment would be if you don't like the suggestion don't do it. The labels are there for everyone to read and if you can believe it I READ THEM and made my own decison. If you read a food label and are concerned about what's in the package then its your option not to eat it.

Journal Entries

I had impacted wisdom tooth + 1 other failed root canal tooth that broke extracted last fall, so couldnt chew for a while. Potatoe soup became one of my fav things to eat. Lots of brands of mixes. All pretty instant. Lends itself well to hiking.

How long do you have to cook the potatoes before they re-hydrate and get tender? How much water do you use?
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

"Freshness Protected By Sodium Bisulfite."

The irony...

And to the point, nobody here is a "Food Nazi". Yes, we have a choice. We can let corporate America feed us whatever poisons they put in our food, or we cannot. that is our choice.

The thing that amazes me is we have an entire culture which associates chemical names with bad nutrition. And no end of people willing to expound their beliefs(and wives tales) as wisdom.."we all know MSG is very bad for you"
    Tell someone I have some L-ascorbic acid for your drink and people will freak out...same with most "chemicals" on food labels. Fact is most of the stuff listed in the soup above is either directly extracted from foods(and not modifed by the extraction process) and then added to this food or something modified from food extracts...like MSG which has such a bad reputation yet study after study fail to be able to scientifically reproduce the supposed side effects of MSG consumption.
    It should be obvious that moderation is key with not being harmed by what you eat, take salt- you take too much it can kill you and in "reasonable" excess can cause health issues like hypertension...too little and its the same result with different issues.

I see the same thing with all sorts of things involved in camping...take permethrin for example. People read the Sawyer directions and immediately assume its evil, bad, dangerous toxic stuff- it kills bugs in minutes so it must be. But the full truth is its no different than the hundreds of products we use on our bodies for a myriad of reasons, get scabies or lice and your doctor may well proscribe a permethrin ointment (at 10x the concentration of Sawyers clothing treatment) to be applied directly on you skin for up to 12 hrs at a time. Such treatments are approved for 2 month old babies and pregnant women. So of course you dont want to eat it, douse your self in it when treating your clothes will do the job, but at the end of the day its nothing to treat like liquid death either.

Less exposure is always better and that goes for food additives too but get real, none of this stuff is going to kill you or guarantee cancer, disease or bad health

Thx for the idea Litetrek. Indeed, to each their own Foodie choices. I'm not consuming that stuff personally. I do know some of the ingredients are bad. Yes, different folks do know different degrees of knowledge than others on varying topics. I'm sure there are 7.6 billion people that know more or differently than me on an infinite number of topics. BUT, the idea is solid. Run with the idea and tweak as personally desired. I don't know why this is so hard nearly every time someone shares a recipe idea?

Personally, I use Frontier Soups Potato Leek Soup, the sliced rather than cubed potato version. I've seen two versions. Instead of making a soup I make it less watery by adjusting down the water added to it doing scalloped potatoes with leeks au gratin - trail style. This brand is widely available even in WallyWorlds. Add some other potatoes(potatoes are everywhere! even dehydrated sliced ones), cheese(if that's your thing), jerky, bacon bits, etc. I add powdered coconut milk and maybe some cheese and fresh scallion. Goes good with foil packets of tuna in EVOO too. It doesn't have as much sliced potatoes though as the boxed brands of Idahoan or Betty Crocker(crappy stuff from Betty Crocker anyway, IMO). If you look at those brands most of what you get is a glompy sauce designed in a food science laboratory of whatever not sliced potatoes either.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Homemade-...-of-8/17353123

Ingredients: Potato Cubes And Slices, Onions, Leeks, Celery, Scallions, Herbs.

If making a soup I get two soup meals out of one package.

Good response. Bruce Ames, who, I think, won a Nobel prize and came up with the Ames assay used to say that the toxic substances produced by plants to fight off pests and plant diseases are way more scary than the stuff we put on food plants.

Whatever you do be careful you dont crush the sliced potatoes or you'll be back to eating cheesy coarse mashed potatoes.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++