WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Used Marmot Precip Question

I just bought a used Marmot Precip jacket. On the inside there is a white layer that is beginning to come off of it. I am hoping to used it for a thru attempt. Should I be worried or is it purely cosmetic and not functional?

Not really sure, but would like to hear what that is about. Mine is more than a year old and is not doing that.

Images

I have one that is about 5 years old with moderate use that shows no sign of that. It's at my other home. I can't look at it to see exactly what you're talking about until Tuesday. But I believe the white lining is the breathable membrane in the so called waterproof breathable fabric layering "assembly". I say so called W/B because it isn't the most waterproof nor breathable jacket. It will wet out from the outside after a while, and even with the pit zips open you tend to get wet from sweat in it. Its a decent all purpose shell given its light weight in that it is windproof and will repel some rain.

There are some reports on the web of Precips fabric delaminating. Marmot has replaced some under warranty apparently, but not all. Their warranty doesn't cover wear and tear or loss of water resistance of DWR fabrics.

http://marmot.com/content/customer-service/warranty
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 01-02-2016 at 22:36.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Don't worry, the Marmot Precip isn't functional when brand new, IMHO.

I think the Precip is a "2.5" layer fabric, with the coating on the inside being the "half" layer on the back of the membrane. The purpose is usually to help wick moisture (and make it feel like you're not wearing a garbage bag). I'd guess it will still work as designed, but it may not vent depending on how much has peeled off.

That should read "...vent *as well* depending..."

Sure wish this site had an edit feature.

GA --ME; and then some... Okie Dokie's Avatar

Anything "peeling" is not a good...Anything....

It means the manufacturer's original interior "coating" is loosening...meaning that it won't function as designed any more....

I own a Marmot Precip jacket...looks to be brand new, inside and out, no peeling...after a couple of bad experiences I use it only in an urban setting--running around town from truck to store for groceries, etc...it leaks whenever I use it in rain that lasts for more than about 10 minutes, around the neck and shoulders...looks perfect inside, the shell beads water...a nice crisp jacket....go figure...thought about seam sealing the interior or exterior threads at the seams, then thought, why bother...it's a light duty jacket...it looks nicer than a rubber raincoat, but won't keep me as dry...think Marmot got in a hurry on the design for this jacket, or mine has some manufacturer's defect...

I've heard that most de-laminations in 'rain-wear" occur because of:
    --Inappropriate care--washing or drying incorrectly, especially drying on very high heat...
    --Body oils--breaking down the lamination, especially around the neck, then "bleeding" down into the shoulders...
    We shout out "I exist!", and it stirs not the slightest sense of obligation from the universe...

Your could try nikiwax coating, if it does leak. Try it in the shower.

Once that coating starts to delaminate, the next step is the Wp/B being ruined by the same body oils and dirt that caused the delamination in the first place. You say you bought it used, I would chalk it up to a learning experience and search for a better alternative.

It might be worth inquiring about warranty replacement anyways though.

Quote Originally Posted by Okie Dokie View Post
    Anything "peeling" is not a good...Anything....

It means the manufacturer's original interior "coating" is loosening...meaning that it won't function as designed any more....

I own a Marmot Precip jacket...looks to be brand new, inside and out, no peeling...after a couple of bad experiences I use it only in an urban setting--running around town from truck to store for groceries, etc...it leaks whenever I use it in rain that lasts for more than about 10 minutes, around the neck and shoulders...looks perfect inside, the shell beads water...a nice crisp jacket....go figure...thought about seam sealing the interior or exterior threads at the seams, then thought, why bother...it's a light duty jacket...it looks nicer than a rubber raincoat, but won't keep me as dry...think Marmot got in a hurry on the design for this jacket, or mine has some manufacturer's defect...

I've heard that most de-laminations in 'rain-wear" occur because of:
    --Inappropriate care--washing or drying incorrectly, especially drying on very high heat...
    --Body oils--breaking down the lamination, especially around the neck, then "bleeding" down into the shoulders...
    Sounds more like you are sweating and wetting it out. I haven't seen any rain jacket that I could stay dry in.

Is there any other rain jacket you'd recommend. I didn't really like the OR Helium II, and I'm concerned about the Marmot.

Three layer raingear is usually a better bet, but they are heavier. Something made with goretex or neoshell works pretty good, but the problem is not that they wet through, normally, its that they don't vent enough so moisture builds up on the inside. A poncho works better when you need ventilation, but it you are in a damp fog, you are still going to feel damp when you stop moving. Rain gear is better if you think its supposed to keep you warm, not dry.

GA --ME; and then some... Okie Dokie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Sounds more like you are sweating and wetting it out. I haven't seen any rain jacket that I could stay dry in.
    In both of the bad experiences I referred to sweating wasn't an issue....one was watching a football game from the stands in a light drizzle...about 40 degree weather...the other was on a fishing trip....blustery 50 degree weather sitting in a boat..."tight-lining" rather than casting continuously...

I'm well aware that "breathable" rain-wear can wet you from within when its raining...sweating wasn't a factor in either case...
    We shout out "I exist!", and it stirs not the slightest sense of obligation from the universe...

Buy a new raincoat and turn that thing into some rain mitts or gaiters, prettyeasy firsttimesewingproject...or, buy some rain mitts and gaiters and seam seal the bad parts inside the coat and a couple of shots of some silicon sealant on the effected outside area...raincoats don't breath all that well anyway, so don't sweat it (no pun), but use the silicon spray sparingly so's not to completely turn the thing into a walking sauna suit.

Images

Staying "dry" while hiking up a steep mountain during rain is just not going to happen,even with very expensive rain jackets.A successful thru hike comes to those who can stand being wet,cold and hungry for extended periods.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

Marmot Precip is great at the price point. But when the white inside starts to deteriorate, you'll get wet. You can coat the outside with most anything - silicone spray, etc. - to extend the life of the garment. Works fine for a very long time. I had my raincoat for years, and the 1st time I washed it I had problems.
    I've learned....
    That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

I think I'm just going to use the jacket as is. If I'm on the trail and need something else I will deal with it at that point.

contact marmot. they had problems with the precip delaminating.
    sent mine back and they sent me a brand new one

Quote Originally Posted by jigsaw View Post
    contact marmot. they had problems with the precip delaminating.
    sent mine back and they sent me a brand new one
    I bought it used so I don't want to send in an item that I bought used for an issue since I'm not the original owner

Quote Originally Posted by Googan View Post
    I bought it used so I don't want to send in an item that I bought used for an issue since I'm not the original owner
    They don't know that. Regardless, it shouldn't be delaminating.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++