WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Default Memorable Scenes along the Trail

What are some of the places on the Trail that are special to you, even though they may not be special enough in their own right to merit a separate thread?

Please describe the location and what made it especially memorable to you (the season, the view, your companion, an unusual event, etc.).

Here's an example: Little Dam Lake in southern New York.

The lake is relatively small and not especially notable, although the Trail winds around the lake for a mile or so and there is a fairly big, pine-covered island only 30 yards from land. I walked by here on a day hike the day after Christmas in 2000. It had been pretty cold for awhile and had snowed the night before, leaving 2-3 inches on the ground. I had started at NY-17 an hour earlier on a sunny 20-degree morning, climbing the ice face of Agony Grind, and had not seen anyone yet (and only 3 people all day). Little Dam Lake was frozen over, and you could see animal tracks in the light snow atop the frozen channel to the island. I really wanted to walk over to the island, but I was alone and it hadn't been that cold, so I just stood awhile and took in the view, watching the wind whisk the fluffy snow across the smooth ice of the lake.

If it's not obvious, I love brisk weather (I grew up in New England); especially on a sunny day when no one is around.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

GA-VA/ME-VA '04

Default memorable "spot"

Not sure if this is exactly what you wanted.But,way back when I was in 7th grade (13 years old ?),I had a science teacher that took me and 7 other classmates on a 4 day camping trip.We hiked from Mt Everett in Mass. to the town of Salisbury Ct,on the AT.Not many miles ,but it was our first time overnite camping.What fun!He took me on that trip two years in a row.Then when I was 28 I did the same spot with my best friend,we hiked that location ever year for a week each summer for 6 years.Life took us both in differant ways for a few years.This summer we got together and hiked at same spot.It brought back so many memories.Both of when I was a school kid ,and of our past times.I've hike alot of differant places and am planning a thru-hike for spring04,but that spot will allways be special to me.I will never forget the lessons I learned camping at Sages Ravine.I think I'll write my old science teacher and thank him.

Section Hiker 180 AT miles

one of my memorable spots would have to be on a trail near Big Meadows in SNP theres a waterfall down there and we were camping not to far away and it had been a very stressfull long day and one of the members in the group i was with a) wasnt wearing proper footgear b)didnt really want to be there cause she didnt really understand what she was getting into c) had blisters all over her feet and d) had gotten lost with another member and so hiked an aditional seven miles more than the fifteen we had already done taht day. so needless to say we were all not in the best of spirits but there was a beautiful sunset and we all just kind of sat around and talked and i really found out a lot about myself. i really saw who i was and its changed me ever sense. ill never forget that site.
    "Do what you Love, Love what you do"

Images

A bear hanging out with me (alone) at Spence Field in the Smokys for a half an hour while he ate one of my 11 trail day old socks and I drank bourbon.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chris
    A bear hanging out with me (alone) at Spence Field in the Smokys for a half an hour while he ate one of my 11 trail day old socks and I drank bourbon.
    This is the best story I've heard in years! Loved it!
    aesop
    "Good night, Mary Ellen."

American Idiot
    Images

Well reading one of Rainman's posts got me thinking about this Graymoor Monastery mentioned. If you're nobo from Highway 9 near the Bear Mountain Bridge and several miles later you hit that paved road near where I think the monastery is, as I recall thereafter is a dirt road going down and then the trail goes along and maybe another half mile or mile there's a side path to the right leading to a shrine on top of this little ridge. At this shrine there is a statue and some stone work on the ground and some real flowers. I assumed it had something to do with the monastery. It was a nice place and I liked the flowers, so since that area was going through one heckuva dry spell (summer of 99), I hiked in again with a couple of gallons of water to water the flowers. I just happened upon this spot the first time I found it.

Sorry I can't be more descriptive of the location, it's been a few years. I don't think the shrine is visible from the trail because it sits up on this little ridge, but I'm thinking it's less than 100m from the trail, so not a big detour and maybe there's only one side trail. Does anyone happen to know if there's a name for this shrine?

GA-ME 3/5/02 -8/14/02
    Images

Default Galehead Hut, NH

Galehead Hut, NH is one of my most memorable AT spots, because it was there in the year 2001 that we met a thru-hiker who was passing through on his way to Maine, while we were hiking over the weekend. It was after talking to him that I realized that my thru-hike was less than a year away, and I couldn't wait to get back and stadn in that spot, and tell someone else about MY thru-hike. Full-circle I guess!
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door...if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."-The Hobbit

I would have to say that Mahoosuc Notch in Maine is one of my most memorable places on the Trail. Being known as the toughest mile on the AT, had me concerned. But hiking out of Gorham with me was a new hiking mate, named Keil. I was glad to have someone go through the Notch with me. It is a beautiful gorge, less the sunlight, with boulder after boulder the size of cars and houses. We could rock hop some of them ( long legs help) but most had to be pulled up, slid down, or squeezed through. Down in the crecices was ice that had been there for awhile. It was quiet a workout, though not as hard as people predict. It was fun and beautiful.
    Singletrack

Cheoh Bald. As you leave Wesser stop at Sassafras shelter, get water and go on the extra mile to the bald and camp. (weather permitting of course) One of the best sunsets on the AT is there. Also great views back south and west. I've camped there at least 10 times. One of my favorite places.

Default ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf
    Cheoh Bald. As you leave Wesser stop at Sassafras shelter, get water and go on the extra mile to the bald and camp. (weather permitting of course) One of the best sunsets on the AT is there. Also great views back south and west. I've camped there at least 10 times. One of my favorite places.
    Watched the Leonid meteor shower from Cheoah Bald a couple of years ago. Absolutely amazing. I had set my alarm for 0100 and planned on watching the show for about and hour and then going back to sleep. Well, I stayed up till 0500 watching that show, musta seen about a 1000 meteors in a clear sky. I believe the Persoid (sp) shower is due sometime in August. might try to make it back up there........

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Most memorable place on the AT

Without a doubt, it is Mt. Lafayette in NH.

It was the first mountain I ever climbed, was my first time on the AT and was one of those rare weekends growing up where Dad was not working overtime.
    (Money and time was tight in our family. For Dad to take a weekend off was something rare and special). I was 12 yrs old.

The first time climbing that mountain had an effect on me. Gave me a love of the outdoors that remaind dormant in my teenage years, but came back with a vengance on my first backpacking trip at the age of 22. Took ten years for the love to be re-kindled...

If you want to read the whole story (if you are bored and have nothing better to do ) and want to see a blurry pic of me from that day, go to:

http://www.magnanti.com/miscwritings/troop_71.htm

Images

Thought I'd try to restart this thread...

Memorable Scenes along the Trail
    What are some of the places on the Trail that are special to you, even though they may not be special enough in their own right to merit a separate thread?

Please describe the location and what made it especially memorable to you (the season, the view, your companion, an unusual event, etc.).

See the first post for a short example.

Images

Nick Grindstaf's fireplace. It was a somber reminder that we are all just passing through.

Images

What is Grindstaf's fireplace, where is it located, and what's the story behind it?

Grindstaf had thru-hiked the A.T. in the 1960s and quietly took in a few hikers every now and then at his home near the trail in Pennsylvania. His home was made of timber from the area and it had a huge, wide stone fireplace that could warm a body and cheer the soul on a cold evening.

In 1987 a local hiker died on the A.T. in New Hampshire, and since the family believed in cremation and thought highly of Grindstaf, they let him do the honors. He cremated the body and the family decided to let him keep the ashes, in the spirit of their son's love of hiking. Grindstaf placed the ashes in an earthen jar carved from a rock on the Pennsylvania A.T. and placed it on the fireplace.

We passed by Grindstaf's place going SOBO a few years ago and he invited us in on a cold evening. After a generous dinner and some bourbon I commented on the container sitting on the fireplace, and he told us the story. It was a sober reminder that we're all just passing through.

Images

Huh ?

I think U-Bolt must be thinking of a different person - a bit south of Damascus is the grave of a hermit - see link for picture of grave stone : Nick Grindstaff's Grave Stone

Images

I think U-Bolt is from Glenview, Illinois!

A memorable spot is the Bald Pate section of Maine. The ex-foliated rock and difficult grade of trail there makes you think of another time and place. That is the lure of the AT. It goes through varied sections of land and solitude.
    Hike more and learn to reduce gasoline consumption

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++