WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default In need of sleeping bag advice

Hey all -- I've been trying to upgrade my sleeping bag from a pretty heavy 20 degree bag I have now to a lighter weight one. Im going to be starting either late february or early march so I am expecting it to get pretty cold but I sleep warm. I think a 20 degree bag will meet my needs for the cold, and also be useable for a while before I possibly switch to a summer bag. Any suggestions on Brand/Model/Material are welcome. Ideally I'd like to spend between 100-300. Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Yiddo View Post
    Hey all -- I've been trying to upgrade my sleeping bag from a pretty heavy 20 degree bag I have now to a lighter weight one. Im going to be starting either late february or early march so I am expecting it to get pretty cold but I sleep warm. I think a 20 degree bag will meet my needs for the cold, and also be useable for a while before I possibly switch to a summer bag. Any suggestions on Brand/Model/Material are welcome. Ideally I'd like to spend between 100-300. Thanks in advance
    Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineering, and Montbell are all known as top of the line (as well as others such as Marmot, Valandre, etc). If I were in your shoes, I would not skimp on the sleeping bag. I own a Western Mountaineering Alpinelite and have used it down to the low- mid teens and been warm. That said, my brother thru hiked this year starting March 6th with a NF Cat's Meow that is at least 8 years old and i'd guess a few of those years it was stored compressed so it has probably lost some loft.

I haven't been in the GA mountains so keep that in ind. I have seen others suggest a 10 degree bag.

Do not skimp on the sleeping bag. WM is a great brand, but are over $500 but will last a lifetime. Get the best quality bag you can afford. If you MUST stay under $300, try the REI Igneo bag. Decent, 19*, and $299. I have one and it is a fairly nice bag for the price. However, I will be replacing it next winter with a higher quality quilt.

There have been several quality names mentioned. I have personal experience with Marmot (started in late March with a Pinnacle 15* bag). My experience with Marmot is that their temp ratings are conservative. I have had my 15* bag down to about 0 (with a quality pad of course) and been comfortable. One other option to consider is the CampSaver down bags. They may save you some $ over Marmot, FF, WM, etc.and they are always well recommended by others in these threads (this topic does come up a bit). I have to say that I have never used one however so take this advice fwiw.

Take a look at Enlightened Equipment's quilts. They are very high quality, offer down from 800 to 950 fill both treated and natural, and are much more versatile than a sleeping bag. They're also much less expensive than WM, FF or Montbell.

I'm going to +1 on Enlightened Equipment. They are cheaper but amazing quality and give you so many options, including 3 different widths, 3 different lengths, a dozen colors (and you can choose different interior and exterior colors), warmth rating, down fill power (and regular or dri-down), 3 different styles (full quilt, footbox quilt or Convert with zipper). Their customer service is impeccable also.

Journal Entries

+1 for the REI Igneo. 19deg bag at just over 2lbs for the long. Ocasionally on sale for close to $250.

-

OP - you give your budget and naturally almost everyone wants to tell you to spend more, almost certainly you want down, and while the top brands are nice there is a lot of middle ground that does the job - it is simple to search for requirements at online retailers - here is campmor:

https://www.campmor.com/SearchDispla...55&storeId=226

Add a good sleeping pad/mattress into the budget. R-5 minimum.
    My sleeping system of choice is a Western Mountaineering Alpinlite with an Xtherm Large under me and an Exped Air Pillow (the red one) under my head. Best night's sleep ever.
    A word about Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends: Both companies make different sized bahs (internal dimensions) for the same temperature rating. My Alpinlites is WM's wide body version rated at 20 degrees. The Ultralite is the slim & trim version. Pay attention to the internal dimensions when looking at bags on the WM web pages. Feathered Friends has the same information for their models online.
    I finally got a chance to test my Alpinlite to 26 degrees recently in a windproof tent on my Xtherm. I had on a layer of wool long unerwear and light wool sock. I didn't zip the bag more than half way and the hood & neck collar were loose all night. Really nice bag. If you ever get to see one in person you will want one. The zipper is totally snag proof. In the dark with your eyes closed. Which is usually when you need to operate a sleeping bag zipper.
    Have fun shopping.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Not to start a Chevy vs. Ford feud, but a comparable EE 20 deg 850 fill quilt is over $250 less expensive than a WM Alpinlites. Very difficult for me to see the value equation for purchasing WM.

BTW Chevy's rule!

Another +1 for the REI Igneo. It's a bit narrow (saves weight) for some people. If you are okay with the width, the price/performance/weight is amazing.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Another +1 for the REI Igneo. It's a bit narrow (saves weight) for some people. If you are okay with the width, the price/performance/weight is amazing.

...and another +1 on this bag; I spent a ton of time researching bags and dollar vs oz worth; got it on sale for $229! Hard to beat at sub 2lb with waterproof down and exterior panels. Been in it in the low teens in the sierras and have been very happy for the money/weight/compressed size.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    Not to start a Chevy vs. Ford feud, but a comparable EE 20 deg 850 fill quilt is over $250 less expensive than a WM Alpinlites. Very difficult for me to see the value equation for purchasing WM.

BTW Chevy's rule!
    If you get the EE quilt, you have to get a more expensive sleeping pad though right?

If you get the EE quilt, you have to get a more expensive sleeping pad though right?
    Perhaps, I use BA pads rated at 15 deg. A sleeping bag's insulation will collapse when you lay on it reducing it's loft so the insulation value is greatly diminished. Most of the underside insulation is from the pad not the sleeping bag

The cost savings over WM or FF will buy a pretty nice pad and lots of sushi boats.

I went to a quilt because they fit a wider range of temperatures and I toss and turn.

You need the same kind of sleeping pad whether you buy a quilt or sleeping bag. As Hosh mentioned, you compress the insulation in a sleeping bag under you so that it is basically useless and not providing any insulation. Synthetic provides slightly more insulation at this point because, by nature, it is less compressible from the get go. Nice pads don't have to be expensive either.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    You need the same kind of sleeping pad whether you buy a quilt or sleeping bag. As Hosh mentioned, you compress the insulation in a sleeping bag under you so that it is basically useless and not providing any insulation. Synthetic provides slightly more insulation at this point because, by nature, it is less compressible from the get go. Nice pads don't have to be expensive either.
    Any pad recommendations then? I'm not a fan of one's you have to blow up

I carried an Exped 7 on my thruhike. It is a bit heavy but it is warm, has an integrated pump, and is super comfortable. Sleep is a no compromise item for me. I also have an Exped 9 (built in pump) for winter trips. Carried a lighter Nemo pad (I think it was the Cosmo?) with an integrated pump on my backpacking trip to Scotland last year. That is a good option as well. (My Exped 7 finally ruptured after a thru hike and many shorter section hikes and just plain old car camping. It served me well)). At my age, I like the integrated pumps vs. blowing them up so I will carry a few oz. extra. Most important criteria is - it has to be comfortable and provide required insulation based on expected conditions.These options work for me.

I see a lot of the Thermarest Z-Lites or similar. They are CCF pads so provide insulation but not much cushioning. I have a Klymit pad, but it's an air pad I have to blow up. I'm a side sleeper so to be comfortable and have a good night of sleep I need a thicker air pad. You have to know what works for you and how you sleep.

Recommendation #1: Watch this YouTube video. And then never sweat having to inflate an inflatable again.
    Recommendation #2: Use an inflatable pad because they are lighter and smaller and more comfortable than self-inflating pads.
    Recommendation #3: For truly cold conditions, pair up CCF pad with your inflatable. That way you don't need to buy a special winter inflatable to get the insulation you need, just pair your summer inflatable with your CCF. And, with the CCF you are never deathly cold just because you spring a leak in your inflatable. And with the CCF you have a convenient place to sit in the snow and/or rain.
    Recommendation #4: If you are trying to be particularly budget conscious, REI has some surprisingly light, functional, and inexpensive inflatable pads this year (the Stratus, the Flash, or the Cirrus).
    Recommendation #5: If you can sleep comfortably on just a CCF pad, go for it and save yourself some money. If you can sleep flat on your back comfortably all night, then a CCF pad (maybe 2 CCF pads in the winter - one full length and one torso length) is really quite adequate.

P.S. I personally like the Termarest Z-lite pads a lot, just because of how easy they are to work with, as CCF pads go.
    P.P.S. As noted above, using a quilt does not change the amount of insulation you need underneath, but it is more comfortable to sleep with cloths on when you are directly on your pad, if you do not normally sleep with at least long-johns and long-sleeves.

Have fun!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post

to the OP, this is an important point in picking a bag and often overlooked...some brands/makes are snugger than others. i tried out several in various outfitters and stores, even ordered a few on line to check out, before deciding on the marmot. It was roomier inside and I tend to toss and turn quite a bit. Some brands are very restrictive or tight feeling to me. make sure you check an on line retailer's return policy if doing this although most of the reputable ones are generous. IIRC, no local outfitters carried Montbell so the only way for me to check one out was via internet order.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++