WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: smart phone

Default smart phone

I've been with Tmobile for almost 9 yrs. They want me to upgrade to a smart phone. I would like to. I called verison and it seemed like a lot more money for phone and data. but better coverage ?? So I would like your experience and opinions.
    Thanks!!

You won't regret stepping up to a smart phone. They're the Swiss Army Knives of the electronics universe. Verizon is universally acclaimed as having the best coverage, but just make sure it's best for you. I have AT&T because I happen to live in a Verizon dead zone.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Journal Entries

Verizon is $$$.
    Buy an unlocked phone and use it on total wireless or straighttalk or other cheaper alternative.

Verizon is without a doubt the most expensive, but has by far the most coverage. In GA and NC, Verizon gets more coverage in the mountains than anyone else from my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Verizon is $$$.
    Buy an unlocked phone and use it on total wireless or straighttalk or other cheaper alternative.

I don't quite understand. please explain further.

Images

I have an iPhone with Verizon. When I hiked Springer to Neels Gap last spring, I was the only one in my 'group' of 8 that had a signal. I don't recall what provider they had, but they did say it wasn't Verizon.

I just bought an iPhone 6s with 128GB of memory + Lifeproof waterproof case. I intend on using the phone as my camera, too.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I've been with Tmobile for almost 9 yrs. They want me to upgrade to a smart phone. I would like to. I called verison and it seemed like a lot more money for phone and data. but better coverage ?? So I would like your experience and opinions.
    Thanks!!
    For the southern states, Verizon usually has the best coverage. Mountain tops, valleys, and hollows.

If money is your issue, also look into Hybrid Wifi/Cell carriers and their coverage.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

I just bought a small, but perfectly functional smart Tracfone at Walmart for all of $9.98. The phone automatically gives triple air time, so a $19.99 air time card will give me 180 minutes of talk time, 180 text messages and 170 meg of data for 90 days which is $6.67 a month. Since I don't use a phone much, this is a good deal for me. It also works with any carrier so if you can get a signal, you can make a call or get data.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Full disclosure: I work for Sprint. IMO, least expensive carrier for an iPhone. Verizon has more towers, no doubt. But I get decent signal in several places thru GA. FWIW, I had LTE on every ridge from Tray to Sassafras Gap this past weekend but only 1 ridge from there to Dick's but hardly anyone gets service at Dick's.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Verizon is $$$.
    If you buy a phone from a carrier like Verizon or AT&T etc, then the phone will only work with that carrier so you are locked into their service (usually with some kind of long term contract but not always) and switching to another carrier can be a problem. An unlocked phone can be used with more than one carrier making it easier to switch carriers. There are low cost carriers like Straight Talk, Tracfone, Total Wireless and others that use the networks of Verizon or AT&T but are cheaper. That is the short explanation.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Originally Posted by MuddyWatersVerizon is $$$.

An unlocked phone is one that isn't tied to a specific carrier, so you can use it with anybody. Buying an unlocked phone allows you to use the cheapest/best service for you, without having to buy the phones available from a certain carrier if you don't like their selection. You can buy unlocked phones on Amazon, Ebay, Target, New Egg, etc.

The companies Muddy Waters referenced, as well as several others, give much cheaper service than the big 4 (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint) because instead of maintaining their own networks, they lease service from the big 4. So you can get cheaper service, but it is not always the best quality. For most people it's fine, though.

I bought a Motorolla X Pure ($400 unlocked) and now use a Verizon prepaid plan. Go to the Verizon store and tell them you want the prepaid plan and sign up for automatic payment. Going on automatic monthly billing will double the amount of data you get. For $45 a month I get unlimited calling, unlimited texting and 2gb data. There was a bit of a learning curve when I switched to Android from iPhone but I got used to it quickly. I'm satisfied so far and it is much cheaper than my iPhone ever was.

During my GA-TN hike last May, I wound up hiking with two other guys. One had Verizon, the other AT&T and I had T-mobile. The guy with Verizon could hardly ever connect except in town. The AT&T guy could usually connect, but not at 4G speed. My unlocked AT&T waterproof phone that I was using on T-Mobile (because it wasn't offered by T-Mobile) would connect and then tell me that it was for "Emergencies use only", even when I had 4 bars. When I got home I researched it and the problem was my AT&T phone. If I had been using a real T-mobile phone, they have a feature that lets you downshift to 2G mode and use it on AT&T when Tmobile isn't available. That's why I was getting 4 bars -- it was seeing the AT&T 2G service that I couldn't access from Tmobile without downshifting.

But the main thing I learned was that AT&T is better than Verizon in GA and TN.

By the way -- the smart phone is fabulous. Besides the ability to keep your entire CD music catalog and all the books you need for the trip, you can also carry a GPS, maps, pedometer, and surf the web when you're in-town. To keep the cost down, buy the 2G plan and just turn off the data when you don't need it.

I bought a Motorolla X Pure ($400 unlocked) and now use a Verizon prepaid plan. Go to the Verizon store and tell them you want the prepaid plan and sign up for automatic payment. Going on automatic monthly billing will double the amount of data you get. For $45 a month I get unlimited calling, unlimited texting and 2gb data. There was a bit of a learning curve when I switched to Android from iPhone but I got used to it quickly. I'm satisfied so far and it is much cheaper than my iPhone ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Bergeron View Post
    But the main thing I learned was that AT&T is better than Verizon in GA and TN.
    Strange that you experienced it that way. In GA and NC, every time I have been around someone with an AT&T phone, they had no service or only worked very close to a town (or in town), while us Verizon users had service in so many more places. I would be willing to bet that the Verizon user you met had an issue with the phone such as a case interfering with the signal reception. Verizon is by far the better service in the GA/NC mountains.

I have done the southern portion of the AT to the NOC. I had good verizon coverage there in most places that are high up. Honestly, I found it helpful when trying to set up lodging or get a ride at times. It was also nice to be able to check in with my wife. I would go with the coverage.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Journal Entries

just to expand a little

All these other small networks are MVNOs, mobil virtual network operators.

Larger networks sell blocks of their excess capacity, to these MVNOs, who then sell it cheaper than the Large network can, because the network cannot undercut its bulk customers without pissing them off. Its a way to maximize their network utilization.

For example, on verizon 4Glte network, Verizon costs $60 per month for 1 GB data. (you can get a free or discounted phone with 2 yr contract though)

On straight talk you can get 5 GB at 4GLTE and unlimited data after that at 2 G speeds, for $45 /month. You dont get much support with issues from the MVNOs compared to the large network. If you have an unlocked compatible phone you like, and arent bound to a contract, its cheaper.

On total wireless on verizon network, only 3G, its $35 /mo for 2.5 GB data. and 10 for 1.5GB increments if you need more, that never expires.

When talking about coverage, part of the issue is just how much you need 'coverage' on the trail --- and *why*. Wi-Fi is often available in town.

For me, coverage on the trail was used to:

(1) upload blog/journal entries. Can wait until town for this, however

(2) get current weather forecast. Rarely needed, just "nice to know"

(3) Maybe a couple or at most 'few' times on a thru-hike to call ahead to a hostel or motel or similar

(4) if there is any potential for trail blockage or re-route. Typically a lot less of an issue on the AT than other long distance trails

Most anything else (calling my wife, for example) could wait until a nero or zero day.

Bottom line is that for me, at least, I rarely "needed" coverage on trail and could always live without it (of course!). I had AT&T coverage when I thru-hiked the AT, T-Mobile when I re-hiked the first month of it with a friend. Neither work well in "the south" (AT&T works pretty well farther north, or it did in 2010). Verizon was great on the CDT, but ... still, I rarely used it on trail. I have T-Mobile now, far worse than Verizon or AT&T most places I hike, but I don't find it to be a big deal most of the time.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

I have searched and searched about this subject.
    Check out Verizon's no contract deal

I always have service on the trail
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

All trails has an app I thought was great when I did my cross country road trip. It "knew" where I was, and suggested local trails for me to hike, complete with directions.
    I've had problems with Verizon customer service, so I stay with AT&T.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++