WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Altra Trail Runners - Need Your Input

I need a wide toe box and have been looking specifically at Altra Trail Runners. Does anyone have firsthand experience with either the Superior 2.0 or the Lone Peak 2.5. How did they hold up? Support? Cushioning? Would you buy them again?

Thanks,
    Rightfoot

Images

My brother has been using Altra instinct upon my suggestion for the last 4 months. He has used many trail runners before ( including Asics and Lasportiva wildcat) . He says he will never use anything other than Altra again.

The Lone peak 2.5 has some mixed reviews but generally an improved version of 2.0( more robust) and lasts definitely more than 2.0 but not the best option for hot weather conditions ( like desert section of PCT).

Journal Entries

Love my lone peaks. Wouldn't ever go to another shoe brand. Toe freedom. Mine have held up as good as anything else I used to wear...mainly New Balance. Try to find some on sale. I was apprehensive about sizing and opted to go a half size larger than I usually wear...and I got lucky and it worked out. However now I notice REI carries them so you can try some on before purchasing. Oh, I also use their alternate lacing method...it's on their site...really gives your foot a lot of room while securing the heel. I have a pair of superiors waiting after the lone peaks die...got'em on sale.
    Last edited by ChrisJackson; 01-04-2016 at 20:47.
    hikers gonna hike

Images

Forgot to say that I bought two pairs of Altra instinct for my upcoming PCT thru hike because I have a wide toe and they were half price in Altra website.

I have considered Lone Peaks and tried them on at the shoe store. I was wondering if anyone has had problems switching to a zero drop shoe if they have not used one before?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I have considered Lone Peaks and tried them on at the shoe store. I was wondering if anyone has had problems switching to a zero drop shoe if they have not used one before?
    Good question. I noticed a little extra calf soreness...maybe. Not too bad really. I also eased into the transition a bit by wearing zero drop shoes at the office...loafers from Tune footwear.
    hikers gonna hike

I didn't notice any difference at all other than an increase in comfort and lightness.

Love my Lone Peaks! I get them one size larger and wear Injinji toe socks. It's my dream combo. Had a Morton's neuroma in my left foot, with surgery and this shoe/sock combo really works for me. These dry quickly, are lightweight and seem as durable as my old New balance minimus. I can't see going back to narrow shoes ever again. My feet seem to stay warmer as well with the large toe box and my individually wrapped toes!

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    https://www.altrarunning.com/run-better#Transition

Depending on you, what you wear everyday, and how big of drop you are switching from you will have some issues.
    Now is the best time really-start wearing them casually at home/work/etc. and by hiking season you'll probably have made any physical transition needed.

Altra's have more cush (in superior, lone peak, and up) than a typical minimalist shoe- so footsoreness from walking nearly barefoot isn't an issue.
    The zero drop (no heel) can take some getting used to- though the main complaint is some calf soreness. Foot soreness (as you use different muscles) is common too.
    Unless you're actively running I wouldn't be overly concerned though.

The only other caution is if you use a stability shoe, if you don't know the answer go to TWO good shoe stores and get fitted. Altra makes stability shoes.
    If you wear orthotics or special insoles... get professional help too.

Lone Peak is my favorite for the AT type terrain. I have had multiple pairs. They are more durable now, but the old ones got 300-500 miles easy.
    Torin is the "road" version but works great for rails to trails type stuff where you are pounding all day.
    Olympus- is an overcush version of the Torin... newest one looks better than the torin now (tread) so this is either or- torin or olympus.
    I've had one pair of each- I use them on pavement and longer rails to trails hikes... haven't worn them out but no idea on miles.

Superior is a lighter Lone Peak- my only complaint- I used it for sand dune hiking this year and the insole/liner isn't laminated to the midsole so sand got in there and won't come out... it mainly ruined the shoes. Other than that they are like a trail version of my other favorites- Merrell Bare Access. I will potentially get another pair but don't need one.
    For minimalist folks- this may be your best Altra.

Instinct- gym shoe- had a pair of the originals on clearance.

One (squared)- returned it- the toe fits funny due to the last (it dives down at the toe and pinches)... not sure if they fixed it. Paradigm looks like the same last and same problem.

I have not tried any of their stability shoes.

++ New Posts ++