WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Picking the Perfect Tent

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm trying to pick the perfect tent. I am going to be traveling alone. I am a little reluctant to buy a one person tent (will these be room for my pack and myself? Plus I would like to invest in one that can fit more than just myself for camping in the future). Aside from size, what is a good weight to keep an eye out for? Also, I know I want ones that have no-see-um netting, rain tarps, 3-season tent, etc. What else should I keep in mind when purchasing a tent? I have tons of Cabelas giftcards, so I was checking out their site. These were the two I came across that peaked my interest:

1-person tent:
    2lb 10oz
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/campi...Tz_stype%3DGNU

2-person tent:
    3lb 5oz
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/campi...Tz_stype%3DGNU
    (this one didnt say anything about no-see-um netting, or how many season tent it it)

There's no perfect tent, but there are lots of good ones. I'm assuming this is for a thru hike? I would avoid the one person tent you linked; note it isn't freestanding and the reviews are not good. The 2p Marmot you picked is the best tent I see at Cabelas if that's where you want to buy. I think you could get more value elsewhere. I wouldn't trade my Big Agnes seedhouse sl2(3lbs even) for anything, and you can find on sale right now for $260. There are lots of options under 3.5lbs.

Journal Entries

Dont compromise on your hiking tent. You will most likely spend the money again if you do. Weight is more important than you are thinking right now.

OK, I keep my pack in tent with me a lot, because it keeps mice out of it. I can hang it up from tent pole and its out of way basically. A time or two it actually brought mice into tent though, they were already in the pack by the time I finished erecting the tent. Always fun to chase mice around your tent trying to shoo them out.

Most just keep pack and boots under vestibule.

You can sell those giftcards online on the giftcard swap sites and get cash to use elsewhere. It might range from 65 to 90 cents on the dollar. I do that with many gift cards I get.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-05-2016 at 23:37.

I would use the cards for a good insulated down coat, and go with a cottage industry shelter.

Images

Take a moment to check out these "cottage" manufacturers --

Lightheart Gear -- http://www.lightheartgear.com/

Tarptent -- http://www.tarptent.com/

Six Moon Designs -- https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/

All three offer lightweight well made tents, in a range of sizes and prices. For example you might find Lightheart Gear's Duo fits the bill as a tent with enough space to have yourself and all your gear in the tent. SMD's Skyscape tents are also a good option, with the Skyscape Scout giving you more room, in a lighter weight tent than the Eureka Solitaire, and for only a about $40 more. While with the Trekker you can get to 24 ounces.

There are other useful things that you can use the gift cards for at Cabela's.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Picked this tent up and am happy with it. It is less than 3 lbs and when you guy it out really tight it increases the roominess. Cost competitive as well.
    http://www.rei.com/product/862421/re...er-dome-1-tent

I'd use the cards at Cabelas to purchase hiking apparel, rain gear, camp kitchen stuff (they have a pretty good selection). My .02 cents is, if Cabelas doesn't have the tent you really want, don't settle for less on something as important as shelter.

Images

If you are stuck buying your tent from Cabela's, the Force isn't a bad tent (many of us here hiked with heavier not that long ago). And it won't be the determining factor in whether your hike is successful or not. But if you can't get what you really want at Cabela's, why not see if a friend or co-worker who needs something from them will buy them from you, maybe offer them a slight discount. Or go to the store and offer the cards to someone making a purchase for .90 on the dollar. Offer to stay with them through the checkout process. You can sell gift cards to places on the web, but they typically only offer about $75 for a $100 gift card.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

There is no perfect tent. Your best hope is to find the best combination of trade offs to meet your needs. The first and hardest part is understanding your needs. There was a thread a few months back where someone went to great detail listing the key factors involved in the trade offs. Finding that post would put you on the right path.

Like he said, there is no perfect tent. You can get a free standing, tent with fly for under 2 lbs and under $200 if you shop. I ended up with BA Flycreek UL1, which is a very popular tent on the trail for a good reason. Keep an eye on ebay.

BA Flycreek UL1 or UL2 seemed to be the most popular on the trail the past season. It's a good, lightweight 3 season tent. I have the UL 2, so I can put my pack inside with me, rather than leaving it to the mercies of the mice.

For the winter, I have a Northface Mountain 25 - pretty bombproof even in a blizzard.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    There is no perfect tent. Your best hope is to find the best combination of trade offs to meet your needs. The first and hardest part is understanding your needs. ....
    Yeah, like with all gear, think about...
    1) functionality
    2) lightweight
    3) inexpensive
    you get to choose only two. I hiked the AT half way with the BA Fly Creek 2 (items 1 and 3), then went with a zpacks Hexamid Solo+ for the 2nd half, items 1 and 2). A cuben tarp tent like the Hexamid is ridiculously light (1 pound total) and works great, but can you afford it? If you don't want to spend that much, that BA fly creek, or the REI quarter dome are great choices, an extra pound-plus, but you save a couple hundred bucks.

Images

Look down toward bottom of the first page. Another Kevin nailed it.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...er-Need-advice!!

The perfect tent is a hammock!

Try Big Anges Fly Creek 2 Platinum. 1lb. 15 oz. Expensive but so light. I'm an older female so every ounce counts for me. The money was well spent.

I have a Tarptent Rainbow 2 man that I really like. My friend Tater Chip hiked the whole AT in 2010 and said he never got wet in it. You can look at the entire Tarptent online, and Henry Shires is a man you can trust. Jakebrake
    Jakebrake

Images

LightHeart Gear - great tents, made in America (Made in Asheville NC). Especially if you are over 6 foot tall - the SoLong 6 tent is the best!

Thanks everyone! Yeah Kevins post on the previous thread definitely helped me out. I purchased the Force 2P today, but luckily REI has a great return policy. It was $100 cheaper and the guy basically told me I'd be an idiot not to buy it now because it's a great tent (especially since I will need a tent period - so if it's not the one for me at least I'll have the "credit" towards a different one)

Quote Originally Posted by timsuxx View Post
    Thanks everyone! Yeah Kevins post on the previous thread definitely helped me out. I purchased the Force 2P today, but luckily REI has a great return policy. It was $100 cheaper and the guy basically told me I'd be an idiot not to buy it now because it's a great tent (especially since I will need a tent period - so if it's not the one for me at least I'll have the "credit" towards a different one)
    Bear with me as I'm a little lost on what you are writing. Are you saying you bought a Marmot Force because the salesperson said you would be an idiot not to? It's your tent, and your hike, but there's a reason the Force is not a popularly endorsed tent. It's heavy! You could buy a Tarptent Rainbow 1P and have a spacious tent for 22 ounces lighter than your tent. There were several cottage gear tents that are proven thru hiking tents that were listed in this thread. Not trying to be an a-hole, but the majority of advice plus that linked post from Kevin is kinda opposite of what you decided with. Good luck!

Have you returned it yet? Give REI a break. Hit the Undo key before the tent has been used.
    Said from experience with impulse purchases I've regretted.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

If you are going to make impulse purchases, you will waste a lot of $$$ that way.
    Stay away from REI. They have nothing you need.

Any item you need can be mailordered from somewhere else for less. Often much less.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++