WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Camping at or close to Kimberling Creek? Southwest VA North of Bland

Any spots here? Is this a gravel road or highway? Kimberling Creek camping makes next trip Miles per day work out pretty well but the road on the north end of the bridge is a red flag for me
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

I think a better option is to camp along Dismal Creek Falls a little to the north. There are some good tent sites there and it's not as close to the road.

Or you could do like me and camp at Trent's and be awakened at 4:00 am by the roosters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Any spots here? Is this a gravel road or highway? Kimberling Creek camping makes next trip Miles per day work out pretty well but the road on the north end of the bridge is a red flag for me
    That is a popular and well used camping area. It's a reasonably large river. A half mile up the (paved) road is Trents Grocery, good for short resupply and a meal, but I think I got a touch of food poisoning the last time I eat there. They also have tenting and a shower behind the store for a small fee. In addition, a short steep climb up the AT on the other side of the road brings you to Dismal Falls, another popular swimming and camping area for locals on the weekends.

The 4 or 5 times I've hiked that section I stay at Jenny Knob shelter, walk over to Trent's for lunch and resupply snacks, then head to Wapiti after a short detour over to the falls. That's a pretty easy, but full day. Then you have one more night on the trail at either Woods Hole or Docs Knob before getting to Pearisburg.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

The camping area at Kimberling Creek was littered with trash the time I hiked that section . You could hike up to the ridge and camp at that shelter off the AT. It's a steep ascent to the top but better than camping so close to a road.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Just an update, camped here over easter weekend-picked up a whole bunch of trash, but it was not a bad spot to camp as it was divided from the road by the creek. Went to trents, was supprised at how rude she was but maybe just a bad day who knows. Should have pushed on to dismal but it was already a 20 mile day
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

++ New Posts ++