WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Canadian thru hiker

I will be flying in from Canada for a thru Hike and I want to know if I need a tourist visa or something like that for a 5-6 months trip ?

Any canadians out there who might know ?

Anyone entering the United States from a foreign country who intends to stay for longer than 90 days needs a visa. There is the Visa Waiver Program, but that only allows travel up to 90 days.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ible-countries

If the country is not apart of the VWP, then they need a visa for ANY travel to the US.

Bemental is wrong in regard to Canada.

Canadians can be in the USA for a period of up to 6 months (in a calendar year) with no formal visa needed. Make sure to have your passport stamped upon arrival in the States, so that there is no confusion later on when you get back to Canada. Whatever you do ... do NOT go over 6 months!!! This opens up a whole can of worms you definitely don't want to get into.

Quote Originally Posted by BCPete View Post
    Bemental is wrong in regard to Canada.

Canadians can be in the USA for a period of up to 6 months (in a calendar year) with no formal visa needed. Make sure to have your passport stamped upon arrival in the States, so that there is no confusion later on when you get back to Canada. Whatever you do ... do NOT go over 6 months!!! This opens up a whole can of worms you definitely don't want to get into.
    I stand corrected! Probably why Canada doesn't need to be a part of the VWP then.

Try this information from Ottawa's government website:
    http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/in...canadians.html
    Last edited by bemental; 01-06-2016 at 21:42.

What do you mean get your passport stamped? (Canadian curiosity)

With a 6 month northbound hike, it wouldn't be hard to make a brief trip to Canada if it looks like you will go over the time limit. Making short trips out of a country to restart the visa clock seems to be a routine part of international travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    With a 6 month northbound hike, it wouldn't be hard to make a brief trip to Canada if it looks like you will go over the time limit.
    Of course, with the calendar year limit, leaving for Canada and returning in a few days wouldn't help.

++ New Posts ++