WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: bear bag bell

Default bear bag bell

I was on the bicycle forum and someone mentioned using one of those clip-on fishing pole bells on their bear bag. The idea is if a bear messes with your food bag maybe the bell might wake you up and maybe you can scare the bear away. They don't weigh much. And you can clip it to you pack in bear active areas during the day. Does this make any sense for hiking??

Journal Entries

Default bear deterant

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I was on the bicycle forum and someone mentioned using one of those clip-on fishing pole bells on their bear bag. The idea is if a bear messes with your food bag maybe the bell might wake you up and maybe you can scare the bear away. They don't weigh much. And you can clip it to you pack in bear active areas during the day. Does this make any sense for hiking??
    I like the idea, however, an additional measure would be to use empty bear cans strung together or beer cans with a few rocks in them to throw at them. makes an awful racket when they hit the ground!!

if you hang it properly no bear will get the bag. no bells needed

Quote Originally Posted by kibs View Post
    I like the idea, however, an additional measure would be to use empty bear cans strung together or beer cans with a few rocks in them to throw at them. makes an awful racket when they hit the ground!!
    You carry the beer in, and I'll string up the empties.

Sounds like a dinner bell

This sounds like a clever yet terrible idea. How do you plan on scaring the bear away? By yelling and waking up your fellow campers? By waving your scrawny hiker arms at it? What will you do if the bear ignores you? Just let the bear do it's thing, if you hung your bag properly the bell will never ring. If it rings, it just means that you screwed up, and there's no point in compounding that mistake by confronting a bear over a few dollars of gear and the potential inconvenience of a days hunger.

A bell might be more use on the JMT or PCT where there are no trees for hanging; although we put cook pots on the bear barrels to make a noise if tampered with or buried the barrel in rocks. Whilst it might be a futile gesture I do choose a few throwing rocks the night before as you can never find one when you want one.

If the bag is hung properly the bears won't get it, if not, and they do get at it, they won't mind the bell. Otherwise bag bells would be a great idea if the intent is to annoy others near you when the wind picks up.

If you can get it down, so can the bear.

Journal Entries

They don't weigh much. And you can clip it to you pack in bear active areas during the day. Does this make any sense for hiking??
    If the bears dont kill you, other hikers will.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Unless you're in grizzly country, you don't need a 'bear bell" on your pack during the day.

In general, I think too many people are afraid of black bear encounters. Obviously if treated with respect (just like any other wild animal), they wont bother you. I had a new momma grouse(?) right on the AT and the only way around here was to wait for her to move, then continue down the trail. Once she got up and I realized there were a BUNCH of babies under her, she began her attack on me, hissing and all flared out. I was more afraid of that thing then any bears we encountered! Haha

Hanging a bell is not a bad idea. I wear small bells on my pack that are small enough to make very little noise relative to those around me. I'm confident, however, that bears hear them. To my knowledge, no one has complained. I have seen one bear while hiking, running away from me.

Every time there's a discussion about bears there's the inevitable "bear won't....if you do this." or the "bears don't..." We can only predict bear behavior to a point. Overwhelming statistical probability isn't a predictor of behavior. It is probability of behavior.
    Last edited by Uncle Joe; 01-09-2016 at 23:20.

If it was that great of an idea, many would be doing it. You seem to keep looking for ways to add "just an ounce or two" to your kit. You're going to wind up with a 50lb pack and not be any better equipped than another hiker who leave all the useless stuff at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    If it was that great of an idea, many would be doing it. You seem to keep looking for ways to add "just an ounce or two" to your kit. You're going to wind up with a 50lb pack and not be any better equipped than another hiker who leave all the useless stuff at home.
    Yea you are right, It's just hard for me to not to do that.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Sounds like a dinner bell
    WOW I am with RS - so you hear the bell you jump up run out of your tent... what the hell are you going to do about it?

Nuff said.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    If the bears dont kill you, other hikers will.
    Great Post.... I attempt when not with others to be as quiet as possible. I have had Coyote's, Deer & small mammals pop out on the trail for my odd efforts...I get frustrated when a noisy person is in front even 15 minutes ahead. I am there to see as many animals in the wild as possible, it's my nature and my nirvana.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    WOW I am with RS - so you hear the bell you jump up run out of your tent... what the hell are you going to do about it?

Nuff said.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Hey, maybe the bell will scare the bear away!

Bears aren't the only thing that wants your food. If something else is eating at it, I can see where a bell may help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++