Default Starting thru-hike NOBO 2017

Knowing my income thru 2017 pretty much determined that next year will have to be my year for a thru-hike of the PCT. This will be my first LD hike and I would have preferred to get a shorter LD thru-hike under my belt prior (the CT would have been ideal) but finances and time off and housing necessitate doing it either next year, or many years down the road...and I can't wait until 2020 or so! I'm not a fast hiker so will be starting early-mid April (thinking April 10th) and taking my time, at least initially.

I have my gear dialed in and am happy with my set-up (used it for many ultra-light horse packing trips and it works well), and plan on a hyprid re-supply strategy, as I'm sure most people do.

Excited and a little nervous (love camping but don't like camping alone in the mountains without my dogs) but I know from reading a lot that I will likely find plenty of people to camp and hike with. I enjoy a mixture of hiking with other people and alone, but prefer to camp others.

My only real debate at this time is whether to pack extra sleeping gear (a light-weight pair of leggings and t-shirt) or rely on my fleece base layer that might get wet if it gets cold and rainy and may also be too warm under my 10* sleeping bag/quilt (I am a really cold sleeper, and cold-blooded generally). I usually use the legging/t-shirt combo when horse packing and it's about perfect, but would be extra for me to carry.
    The weight of my pack is big deal for me because I am not a big person (female, 5'5" and 125#), and I broke my back in a horse-riding accident 10 years ago so really need to avoid carrying anything unnecessary while still being moderately comfortable. I had to get a slightly heavier insulated Klymit pad (19oz) in order to accommodate my back injury and my side-sleeper-ness as well as my tendency for sleeping cold.

Other than getting in some hiking and backpacking trips in the local mountains of Wyoming (lucky to have great training areas in my backyard) there isn't much more to do. I will start planning and purchasing my resupply next winter.

I look forward to seeing people on the trail.

Dune

You should definitely have something dry to sleep in at night for sure. I took an extra shirt on the A.T and it was a merino base kayer. This year I an going to thru the PCT and will be doing the same plus a bottom base layer. I hear the desert is the coldest part of the trail in general.

Thanks. And it looks like my hike will be postponed until 2018 instead...CT and a trip home to the UK next year

++ New Posts ++