WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default How do you carry cooking oil?

Hi;
    I have been carrying a small amount of cooking oil on my multi-day treks. I used a 2 oz plastic bottle with a screw cap, and put that into a zip-lock baggie. I didn't use up all the oil I took, and when I got home I found that the oil had leaked from the bottle into the baggie, then through the securely zipped baggie and into my bear canister. I need a small (2oz or smaller) bottle with an O-ring to keep the oil inside, but have had no luck in finding one that small.

I could use a similar bottle for the small amount of bug spray I carry (not in the bear canister with my food). I had the same thing happen there, but lucky for me the stuff didn't leak out into my new backpack, but instead leaked into a smaller and older day pack after I had finished my trek.
    In the future, I will probably just buy a smaller bottle of DEET, so that solves that problem, but I cannot buy a small enough bottle of cooking oil, and what is available is mostly sold in glass bottles of 7oz or more.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Arden

REI sells these thick, white/clear, plastic bottles with thick threaded caps. I use them for fuel and some dry powers too. They have various sizes. FWIW, I've not had a fuel leak.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jpolk84 View Post
    REI sells these thick, white/clear, plastic bottles with thick threaded caps. I use them for fuel and some dry powers too. They have various sizes. FWIW, I've not had a fuel leak.
    Are these the bottles you're talking about?
    http://www.rei.com/search.html?q=nal...nalgene&page=1
    0.5oz and 2.0 oz. Only concern I would have is whether or not the cap on the drop spout is leakproof when the bottle gets turned upside down. I suppose that if you haven't had any fuel leak out, cooking oil wouldn't be a problem.
    Last edited by Arden; 01-11-2016 at 21:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Arden View Post
    Are these Nalgene bottles? I found some on Amazon, but I will check REI, since there is one within 5Km of me.
    I use small Nalgenes for oil. No problems.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I use small Nalgenes for oil. No problems.
    Same here. I have 2 and 4 ounce sizes with a flip top. Both passed a 1 week inverted test. No leaks. About $2 at the container store. Made in USA. eBay and Amazon not involved.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

0.5oz and 2.0 oz. Only concern I would have is whether or not the cap on the drop spout is leakproof when the bottle gets turned upside down. I suppose that if you haven't had any fuel leak out, cooking oil wouldn't be a problem.
    No. Not these. Get the flip spout top. No leaks. Test for yourself at home. Know for sure before you hike.

Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

find a friend that works at Carrabbas or olive garden and get them "borrow" to go packs

This bottle and top.

http://www.containerstore.com/s/nalg...6405&q=Nalgene

Wayne

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristeninmb View Post
    find a friend that works at Carrabbas or olive garden and get them "borrow" to go packs
    Anytime "borrow" is in quotes, it means "steal".

Just sayin'

I use the 8 ounce Motts apple juice plastic bottles. This is the same plastic as Gatorade bottles. I never had one of these leak. I've carried milk, juice, wine, oil, alcohol, even kerosene for fire starter. I've used both the 8 oz. and the 20 oz Gatorade bottles during hiking, canoeing, caving, and camping over the last 20 years or so. They are a little more bulky, but may be lighter than some smaller Nalgene. And if no longer needed, just dispose of them properly.
    Dan

Similar but no squirter.

The problem you are exeriencing is the change in air pressure, from hiking up and down hills and mountains, forcing the oil out of your bottle. The o ring should work, if you can find one that fits.

Journal Entries

Another Nalgene fan for this..."Nalgene HDPE Wide Mouth Round Container 8 oz"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

The 8 oz is about right for me for oil. Using the 1oz version just to measure out fuel.
    hikers gonna hike

Another happy user of Nalgenes for cooking oil. I have an assortment ranging from 2 ounces to 16 ounces and I decide which one to take based on trip length. Due to the excellent calories/ounce properties of olive oil I try to use around 2 ounces per day on a typical hike, usually mixed into my dinner. Never had a leak using the Nalgenes and I get them at REI.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kristeninmb View Post
    That would be my best option, but unfortunately I do not have a friend who works there. I don't go out much either, so not much of a chance of picking them up myself...
    I'll take a run up to the Container store and pick up some of the Nalgene bottles.
    Last edited by Arden; 01-12-2016 at 11:44.

The Container Store is great for stuff like this. You can buy the bottles and tops separate. I bought 2 & 4 ounce bottles and both tops (solid & flip) for each size. Look for them in the travel section. Thanks TSA!

Wayne

Journal Entries

I just pack a stick of margarine. No leaking to worry about. No O-rings. No special containers.

In a 1 inch square piece of lawn mower air filter sponge inside a tiny dental rubber band zip lock Baggie, nip the corner when ready to use and squeeze out like a bakers bag. One time use.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    I just pack a stick of margarine. No leaking to worry about. No O-rings. No special containers.

1+ (I like butter better than margarine), in a small empty peanut butter jar.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Switch to coconut oil; it's a solid at below 75 degrees. When you need some, put the bottle in your pocket for a few minutes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++