WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Here is one of the two bottles with flip-top.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok. Fill the bottles with cooking oil. Invert them in a coffee cup with enough volume to hold all the oil with room to spare. Let sit for a week.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Ok. Fill the bottles with cooking oil. Invert them in a coffee cup with enough volume to hold all the oil with room to spare. Let sit for a week.
    I have been packing a full bottle around in my work bag and have had no EVO leaks at all. Also, I found that the flip-top lids on the Wally World bottles also fit on the 4 oz. bottle in the package.

Any pharmacy will have 2oz bottles, 4oz bottles, 6oz bottles, and 8oz bottles, for dispensing liquid medicines such as cough syrup. The child proof part of the lid can be removed if you don't want to have to push down and turn, but I find the child proof feature makes it is much less likely to open by accident. These would normally be given to you free if you asked your corner drug store and only wanted a couple, or at worst for for a nominal fee. I have used them many years. I started using them when I had a sail boat with a small galley and didn't want anything on the boat that would break, and then later started using them for backpacking. They are very light weight plastic, almost unbreakable, and free. What else would you want from a container to store oil?

I use small the plastic shot or sample sized bottles from the liquor store. I buy them in one ounce & two ounce sizes & rinse them once with no residual aftertaste. Is that the type that leaked on you? I've never had a problem with leakage & I mail them from my home at 7,000 feet to sea level & back.

I'm using 10 ml bottles like https://www.amazon.in/JIUWU-Liquid-S...s=10+ml+bottle https://allinpackaging.co.uk/containers/bottle/ .. usually they are using in labs but works for me..i take two or three bottles..they are small and you can easily put them in any backpack pocket

Trader Joe's sells a box of individual servings of coconut oil in small packets.

Personally, I'm not very trusting of the flip tops and those squirters with little snap on caps. Careful as I might be, i've had a few over the years get accidentally popped open.

Lots of good options presented.... for one more option....I re purposed a blink eye drop bottle...it's a squirter but with a screw on lid.....not for oil but for doc bronners soap. Probably not big enough though for cooking oil. i wonder though if a contact lens saline solution bottle might be a good alternative for a larger version.

US Plastics sells all sorts of containers that can be useful. I bought dozens in a few different sizes several years ago. Perfect for pre mixing aqua Mira, carrying oil, Dr Bonners, etc. The bottles are dirt cheap but shipping is a few dollars so you might as well load up.

Journal Entries
    Images

I use a 1 oz nalgene plastic bottle from REI, with a screw on top. I put it in a small plastic bag just in case, but have had no leaks on 2 five day trips with lots of elevation changes.
    Just love being outside, not sure why. 765 AT miles done (2014-2018), many more to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Diver View Post
    Any pharmacy will have 2oz bottles, 4oz bottles, 6oz bottles, and 8oz bottles, for dispensing liquid medicines such as cough syrup. The child proof part of the lid can be removed if you don't want to have to push down and turn, but I find the child proof feature makes it is much less likely to open by accident. These would normally be given to you free if you asked your corner drug store and only wanted a couple, or at worst for for a nominal fee. I have used them many years. I started using them when I had a sail boat with a small galley and didn't want anything on the boat that would break, and then later started using them for backpacking. They are very light weight plastic, almost unbreakable, and free. What else would you want from a container to store oil?
    No---they are not 'free'!! If your pharmacy chooses not to charge you for them, then it is 'no cost to you--but not 'free' The pharmacy is paying 0.45 to 1.85 for each bottle (depending on size). At least offer to cover their costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ADK Walker View Post
    Trader Joe's sells a box of individual servings of coconut oil in small packets.
    14 individual .51 oz packets for $3.99 IN TJ's STORES. Very convenient for backpacking. Compact...more so than bottles. Never experienced leakage. The cost difference compared to a the same product contents in bulk isn't extreme either. I've stocked up when on sale for $2.99 in the same 14 packet box. And, its organic without the extreme mark up. Lasts unused when stored airtight as the packets are for more than a yr. It beats the prices I've seen for individual .5 oz 100% organic olive oil packets. BTW, unless it says 100% olive oil it probably isn't ie; supposed "olive oil" from Publix, sub shops like Subway, etc.

Yes yes yes, real butter, that's what I have been thinking. What about a small zip lock bag, will it leak?

Quote Originally Posted by vickietyer View Post
    Yes yes yes, real butter, that's what I have been thinking. What about a small zip lock bag, will it leak?
    I carry butter in a small peanut butter jar with a screw top lid. Never had a leak. Ramen and instant grits are better with butter. I am not fond of olive oil.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

A bottle with a flip-top is a good idea. If the cap is not tight enough just use Scotch tape.

Scotch tape?

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Scotch tape?
    probably used like a "thread tape" type deal (a plumbing application), wrap the tape around the threads before screwing the cap on so that the cap fits tighter.

Using it like teflon tape makes some sense I suppose, but it still seems odd to carry scotch tape around for that purpose.

One wouldn't necessarily carry scotch tape, but might put the tape on at home/town when one fills up the bottle and screw the lid on.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++