WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Arrow First Aid Kit Advice

Alright, I'm sure this has been posted a billion times, but whenever I search for "first aid kit" or "first aid" it says no results found... Funny because one of the first topics on this board is about FIRST AID CLASSES.

Anyway... I have pretty much all of my gear. I've been putting off a first aid kit because I feel the standard kits are lacking in many areas. What does everyone recommend are essentials for an AT Thru hike?

I made my own from research and looking at actual first aid kits. I also saw a few you tube vids that lock my items in.

First Aid Kit Ziplock bag Total 4.70oz 132g:

Triple antibiotic packets 3ea
    Gauze Pads 3ea
    Bandaids 4ea
    Butterfly Clossure Tabs 4ea
    Knuckels Bandaids 3ea
    Blister Treatment Pads
    Moleskin Strips and Pre Cut Pads
    Leukotape

Medication:
    Antacid
    Anti-diarrhea
    Benadryl (2)
    ibuprofen (6-14)
    Aspirin (2-8)
    Afterbite Sting relief wipes (2)
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Neosporin, safety pin and duct tape.

If you plan on getting Lyme Disease, a course of Doxycyclene might be a good idea.

Rub dirt on it.

If you plan on getting Lyme Disease, a course of Doxycyclene might be a good idea.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I take aspirin, Motrin, a single immodium, a couple pepto, Mole skin a few Band-Aids, alcohol wipes, a few 4x4 gauze pads, diphenhydramine (aka benedryl), several feet of duct tape, which is used for all sorts uses in addition to emergency first aid and a pair of nitrile gloves in case i have to help out someone i dont know. This might sound like a lot, but it only weighs a couple of ounces and i'm glad to carry it in case of emergencies.

I have a needle and thread for gear repair, but for first aid I would use duct tape and a couple of the gauze pads for wound closure/trauma dressings.

One other note is that I carry either Pepcid or Zantac due to my acid reflux, and people who usually don't get heartburn frequently bum them off of me, seems like something about backpacking just causes it. So it might be a good idea to carry a pill or two in case heartburn strikes.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by timsuxx View Post
    Alright, I'm sure this has been posted a billion times, but whenever I search for "first aid kit" or "first aid" it says no results found... Funny because one of the first topics on this board is about FIRST AID CLASSES.

Anyway... I have pretty much all of my gear. I've been putting off a first aid kit because I feel the standard kits are lacking in many areas. What does everyone recommend are essentials for an AT Thru hike?

With regard to the search feature, google is the best way to search most discussion board forums, just ad Site:whiteblaze.net to your search criteria and you will only get results from this site

Example the search: " First Aid Kit Site:Whiteblaze.net " (without the quotes) yields this result:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...whiteblaze.net
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    With regard to the search feature, google is the best way to search most discussion board forums, just ad Site:whiteblaze.net to your search criteria and you will only get results from this site

Example the search: " First Aid Kit Site:Whiteblaze.net " (without the quotes) yields this result:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...whiteblaze.net
    Sarcasm, I learned something today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3sX3aD6GSM

Seriously. Appreciate the info.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Add plastic tweezers, razor blade

I think FAKs are more about minor cuts, blisters, burns, indigestion and pain/inflammation relief.

Major trauma events will likely require outside help/evacuation. I do bring a small Quikclot pad for major cuts, compound fractures etc.

Thanks guys, these are all great!

I use leukotape in my FAK. Have my SAK classic for tweezers and scissors. A few gauze pads, triple antibiotic oimtment, a bit of bag balm, some gauze pads and bandaids. Benadryl tablets, ibuprofen, and immodium AD. I have a tiny bottle of iodine, mini bic, safety pins and a tiny tube of anti-itch cream. Its still too much stuff.

Sometimes I bring one of those chemical ice packs.

In a wilderness first aid class I learned to go with the really big gauze pads - you can always cut them down.

My minimum kit - 3x4 moleskin, 6 bandaids, 4 steristrips, 2 antiseptic wipes, sanitizing wipe, tweezers, 6 benadryl, 6 pep tabs, 16 Ibuprofen, duct tape wrapped on an expired 'credit card', small blade (for cutting moleskin), chapstick, 3 write in the rain pages

This covers the most likely things I will need for a short time. I can use the duct tape to wrap a sprained ankle or use for extra blister protection or as a bandaid. If I need more than 6 pep, I should probably get off the trail, same with Benadryl as 6 last 3 days. I also carry nail clippers in my personal hygiene kit but could easily be considered preventative first aid.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I really like the FAK put together by USNERDOC on youtube. He is/was a US Navy ER Doc so he has access to some stuff I don't. I actually put together several of the Personal FAK as well as the larger ones and the blister kits but changed things based on my own experience and their use (backpacking, car, EDC)
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I'm compiling my first aid kit by going through the different problems I'll need it to address. These are listed roughly in the order of the frequency I'll expect to encounter them.
    1. Blisters
    -Moleskin when one is emerging
    -Benzine when one has burst, to cover it over and help it heal
    2. Minor cuts
    -Antibacterial (iodine works best)
    -Waterproof band-aids
    3. Chafing (thanks to all who posted on this site about it)
    -Body Glide
    (the antibacterial above can help here as well, + water and soap)
    4. Ticks:
    -Tick Key (more effective than tweezers)
    -Tweezers (just in case)
    5. If I roll/broke something and need to make it to town without worsening the problem:
    -Stuff for wrapping (could be duct tape or something more specialized)
    -safety pin
    6. Hypothermic conditions
    -Emergency insulation blanket
    -Emergency fire starter
    7. Major bleeding--unlikely but better prepared than not
    -Gauze (can use some duct tape to keep it on)

I'm not an expert at all, but this is just my line of thinking.

Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    My minimum kit - 3x4 moleskin, 6 bandaids, 4 steristrips, 2 antiseptic wipes, sanitizing wipe, tweezers, 6 benadryl, 6 pep tabs, 16 Ibuprofen, duct tape wrapped on an expired 'credit card', small blade (for cutting moleskin), chapstick, 3 write in the rain pages

This covers the most likely things I will need for a short time. I can use the duct tape to wrap a sprained ankle or use for extra blister protection or as a bandaid. If I need more than 6 pep, I should probably get off the trail, same with Benadryl as 6 last 3 days. I also carry nail clippers in my personal hygiene kit but could easily be considered preventative first aid.
    Mine is something like this and fits in a snack size Ziplock freezer bag. Kind-of like someone above said, remember this is first-aid stuff, not emergency response stuff. Of course if you are hiking somewhere days from help, take a more robust kit, right?

I suggest a Wilderness First Aid class/certification. This will help you know what you might need, how to use it, how to improvise and when the heck to get help/get off trail.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

There's a bit of overlap between my first aid, repair and personal hygiene kits. I count the preventative items as well as the "oops I screwed up" items.

Soap (this is important enough to have two small bottles, one with the trowel, one with the cook gear.
    Sanitizer (non alcohol, so overuse doesn't cause micro abrasions in the skin)
    Leukotape strips on that slippery backing material.
    A few bandages of various sizes, including a knuckle bandage.
    alcohol swabs
    A bit of Sportslick, and a bit of Neosporin in a contact lens case. Sportslick is semi medicinal bodyglide.
    Sunscreen
    Immodium Instants
    Ibuprofin
    Ceterizine for allergies, I take it daily (Doesn't cause Alzheimers)
    Aspirin
    Sewing needle
    Brass safety pins (I don't routinely get blisters that require popping, but you never know.)
    Duct tape
    Leatherman CS (has scissors for trimming Leukotape)

Besides the usual stuff listed above, a few small extras I carry are: 1. a couple of cough drops, if not for me, then for someone else who's keeping me up. 2. Burn cream. As often as I've seen cuts and scrapes, I've seen people burn themselves on hot stoves and cooking gear. 3. Tylenol PM, for those first few nights when sleep comes hard because of the aches and pains. 4. ear plugs. An extra set weighs nothing and can be priceless if you misplace yours. 5. A laminated card with your name, blood type, allergies, prescription meds (even glasses if you wear them), emergency contact info, insurance info, and even your trail name.

Some comments:

Leukotape stays in place for days in hot wet conditions much better than moleskin IMO. I precut and adhere to kotex pad wrappers

An emergency blanket is appropriate for day hiking but is redundant when backpacking with ground cloth or tent fly or tarp with sleeping gear.

Best thing in a FAK is your knowledge gained through classes and/or books

Kits should expand or contract depending on who and how many are backpacking for how long.

Rocket's idea on a laminated card with info is a good adder

++ New Posts ++