WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default May Pinkham Notch?

I lack about 30 miles from Pinkham Notch-Wild Cat Ridge to the Maine border. I have some time between my spring and summer teaching semesters. Can anyone tell me if the trail is icy still in Mid-late May? I've checked temperatures and they look like 60/40 day/night.

Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    I lack about 30 miles from Pinkham Notch-Wild Cat Ridge to the Maine border. I have some time between my spring and summer teaching semesters. Can anyone tell me if the trail is icy still in Mid-late May? I've checked temperatures and they look like 60/40 day/night.
    Spring skiing can go until later May.

Ugh, Thanks, Puddlefish. I was afraid of that. I am going back out in late June after teaching my summer session. Sounds as if it will be best to wait.

I may have spoken too soon. http://www.outdoors.org/about/newsro...m#springwarmup

So, while Tuckermans may still be nasty, it looks like there are some easier hikes in the area that might serve.

Higher elevations can have snow on them well into May. Last year, Old Speck still had three feet of snow the second weekend. I wish I had brought snowshoes. By Memorial weekend it had all melted. Mahoosuc Notch still can have patches of ice and snow into July. You will also have to deal with the Winter blowdowns. Last year was particularly bad.

Hard tell'en, not know'en. The south-facing ridge climb from Pinkham would likely be ice and snow free by late April. Patches of snow in the woods and patches on the ski sloops is typical. It will be muddy in places and probably quite slippery on the steep rock climbs. Last year May was quite dry and fire risk was pretty high with all the dry leaves and dead fall on the ground, of which we have copious amounts of. This year? We'll just have to wait and see.

This is my copyrighted "doom and gloom" disclaimer.
    That's kind of a tough 30 miles and a tough time of year to try and do them.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 01-13-2016 at 22:34.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Really hard to tell until much closer to that date. Every year is different. I have friends all over NH and most have finally gotten their 2nd snow of the season after the first snow all melted during the last rain. But that's not saying Pinkham doesn't have 2' right now. I really don't know. You could try to see if their are updates at Pinkham. Maybe they have a website they post them to or you could call and find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Thanks folks. I know this is a tough section. Last summer after Mt. Washington I was laid up with bad Achilles tendonitis in Gorham. I saw people come an go from the hostel and heard them describe the climb. I expect I'll make some calls to Pinkham in May. Not wanting to risk finishing my section hike (and hopefully, the AT) this summer.

++ New Posts ++