WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Down booties

Default Down booties

I'm going back and forth about down booties. It's hard for me to buy $15-20 socks let alone booties at 4X . I do sleep cold, and cold feet are especially an issue for me. The fact that I returned a pair of $15 down socks makes the $60 more difficult. So what do you do below freezing? I have more than adaquite quilts and head covering.

Journal Entries

I love my down booties. But they're a little bulky, so I only carry them when it's gonna be really cold. The booties don't warm my feet up, but they're pretty good at keeping them warm once they get that way.

Thick wool socks work well to keep my feet warm. If I want more, a hot water bottle does the trick.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    ... I have more than adaquite quilts and head covering...
    No, you don't have more than adequate quilts. You have a less than adequate quilt that leaves your feet cold.

I had an auxillary footbox made for my 20* HammockGear Burrow. It is basically the bottom 18 inches of a another Burrow. I only use it when temps sink into the single digits. I tuck it inside the footbox of my quilt and get double insulation for my toes. Price-wise you'll be in the same ball park as the booties but, it is an option.

Just one way to compensate for you inadequate quilt.

Good Luck

I bought a pair of down booties and a pair of down slippers from REI during their pre-Thankgiving sale (and got a decent deal on them). The slippers have been great around the house which has a typical floor temp in the mid 50's. The booties are a bit warmer and good for hanging around camp in. And if they keep your feet warm in the sack too, there's your dual use.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

You don't need them but if your worried then take them. In a week or two you will most likely send them home without regret.

I am a fan of down booties for cold nights in a light bag.

I own and like the Goosefeet Gear down booties.

I too have some Goosefeet booties.
    Bought them to supplement a 30 degree bag in cooler weather.
    I opted for the 50% overfill as suggested by the owner of GFG.
    They are warm, actually too warm for me.

My wife stole them.
    Lately she has been wearing them almost every evening.
    She looks funny as hell wearing them.
    I wear a 13 and she is only 5'-4". They are lime green and she looks like the Grinch.

For me a thick pair of wool or fleece socks are as good of an option.

I am going to try these http://www.polarfeet.com/collections/fleece-socks

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    No, you don't have more than adequate quilts. You have a less than adequate quilt that leaves your feet cold.

I had an auxillary footbox made for my 20* HammockGear Burrow. It is basically the bottom 18 inches of a another Burrow. I only use it when temps sink into the single digits. I tuck it inside the footbox of my quilt and get double insulation for my toes. Price-wise you'll be in the same ball park as the booties but, it is an option.

Just one way to compensate for you inadequate quilt.

Good Luck
    I was thinking of doing the same thing with a synthetic vest to put my feet in. Then I'ld have a vest to wear when wanted.

Or you can wear the vest to keep your core warm and a warm core will keep your feet warm. When your core cools off, it constricts blood flow to your extremities to keep you alive. When your core warms up, it pushes blood flow to the extremities to cool off. You know the saying. If your feet are cold, put a hat on.

I don't do well with any kind of socks on my feet while sleeping. I need to keep my feet sharing the same space, or they take even longer to warm up. I end up putting both feet into a spare hat, shirt or whatever bit of clothing is about.

I use the north face NSE tent booties, not real light but nice and warm; can be used around camp for dual use but I choose to keep em clean and only use them while sleeping in my bag or sitting around in my tent. Found them used on ebay for $25 in near new condition.

Images

Warm booties or cold, frozen feet. The choice is yours.
    Also, midnight calling is a lot more comfortable in booties than socks.

We went winter camping (on purpose) Friend slept in a hammock, for Christmas that year he asked for down booties!

I have the REI down booties and they are on sale right now for $22. Something I never gamble with are my hands and feet. Once in a snowstorm and bitter cold/wind I got in my bag and put hand warmers in the booties and in 20 minutes I couldn't keep the on my feet were so hot.

+1 on the down booties from REI
    see the path cut by the moon for you to walk on

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Or you can wear the vest to keep your core warm and a warm core will keep your feet warm. When your core cools off, it constricts blood flow to your extremities to keep you alive. When your core warms up, it pushes blood flow to the extremities to cool off. You know the saying. If your feet are cold, put a hat on.
    I understand this idea - it makes sense. But, it does not hold true for me. I am a cold sleeper and I have had many times where my core was warm but my fee and hands were freezing. I own the WM down booties and wear them anytime the temps are below freezing. I typically use a WM 30 bag too. I have been very pleased with the booties. My friends make fun of me because most of them are warm sleepers. But, I don't care. I sleep warm!
    JC

Any idea what the Rei booties weigh?? Their catalog doesn't say.

Enlightened Equipment Apex booties and Hoodlum will add temperature rating to sleep system. Both are synthetic so they handle oils better and are easier to wash.

There isn't much of a weight or volume penalty

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I'm going back and forth about down booties. It's hard for me to buy $15-20 socks let alone booties at 4X . I do sleep cold, and cold feet are especially an issue for me. The fact that I returned a pair of $15 down socks makes the $60 more difficult. So what do you do below freezing? I have more than adaquite quilts and head covering.
    Low 70s to near freezing: Synthetic bag/no rating. Merino socks.
    Freezing to mid 20s: 20 degree bag, half zipped, hood and collar open: Merino long underwear and socks. Not sure that either was needed.
    Near Zero, + or -, not sure. Cold: Zero bag. Hood and collar closed tight. Wool layer. Fleece layer. Hat, gloves, down vest, 2 pairs of socks. I slept fine. I'll cover my nose next time.
    Reinforcing the point that everyone is different. Put 3 people in 3 identical bags and identical temperature. 1 will freeze. 1 will be fine. 1 will be hot.
    Everyone needs to find the gear combinations that work for them in the Real World.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++