WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Section Hiker

Default Is Clingman's Dome Road Closed?

Hi, all! I believe it is, but just checking because I have a free long weekend this weekend and would like to pick up Clingman's Dome to NFG before I continue my nobo section hiking this spring. I just need to get up to Clingman's from the NFG parking lot. I realize an out-and-back is an option but would like to have some time for dinner in town as well. Thanks!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

It closes quite often in the winter. If you do Twitter, you can get up to date info.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm

I apologize, I meant Hwy 441.

It was closed as of November 30 - usually reopens in late March depending on weather.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

It is closed to vehicle traffic right now but not to foot traffic. You could hike out to CD and then make excellent time on the road back to NFG.

Section Hiker

True, MockingJay, thank you!

"

-

potentialy a nice bike trip when the gate is closed

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Clingman's Dome Road is one of the roads in the park that are only open seasonally. (441 is a road they work at keeping open all year long).
    The official schedule is that Clingman's Dome Road is only open from April 1 to November 30... weather permitting.
    In recent years they have tried to open the road early (say mid March) if they think there will not be any more weather related road closures for the year.

That pretty much means the road will be closed (to vehicle traffic) over the MLK holiday.

But even if the road were open... would you really want to go hiking up there this weekend?
    The Mountain Forecast at Clingman's Dome elevation calls for below freezing temperatures and strong winds.
    The high temperature is expected to be 25º on Saturday morning (with a wind chill of 9º).
    The temperature will only go down from there until it reaches 9º on Monday afternoon (with a wind chill of -15º).
    http://www.mountain-forecast.com/pea...forecasts/2025
    (lower elevations... such as the elevation of New Found Gap... are only a few degrees warmer).

Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Clingman's Dome Road is one of the roads in the park that are only open seasonally. (441 is a road they work at keeping open all year long).
    The official schedule is that Clingman's Dome Road is only open from April 1 to November 30... weather permitting.
    In recent years they have tried to open the road early (say mid March) if they think there will not be any more weather related road closures for the year.

That pretty much means the road will be closed (to vehicle traffic) over the MLK holiday.

But even if the road were open... would you really want to go hiking up there this weekend?
    The Mountain Forecast at Clingman's Dome elevation calls for below freezing temperatures and strong winds.
    The high temperature is expected to be 25º on Saturday morning (with a wind chill of 9º).
    The temperature will only go down from there until it reaches 9º on Monday afternoon (with a wind chill of -15º).
    http://www.mountain-forecast.com/pea...forecasts/2025
    (lower elevations... such as the elevation of New Found Gap... are only a few degrees warmer).
    Checking the forecast was secondary to first finding out if there was even access. Thanks, though!

"

++ New Posts ++