WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    If you work or have an avocation where almost any decision, no matter how small, can potentially lead to severe and even fatal consequences, I think by nature you have to be very risk-adverse to be successful. Where the discussion seems to break down sometimes is that those who are not experienced in fields (either professionally or as an avocation) that absolutely REQUIRE such discipline see this mindset as being adverse to any and all risk. Yet nothing can be further from the truth. The best example is perhaps space exploration, where the overall risk is perhaps as high as any human endeavor, with virtually all those involved having risk adverse mindsets, yet at the same time participating in something with an incredibly high level of inherent risk.
    I tend to agree with this. Like aviation and sailing, the air, sea, and wilderness are not necessarily dangerous in and of themselves, they are simply intolerant and unforgiving of mistakes and carelessness. Both sins together most certainly will be your undoing in any of these pursuits, which being as woefully unprepared as he was should not come as a surprise his story ended as it did.

The "Into the Wild" bus was removed . . .

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-alaska-bus/into-the-wild-bus-removed-from-alaska-trail-for-safety-concerns-idUSKBN23Q09S
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Pretty awesome seeing that bus flying!
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Pretty awesome seeing that bus flying!

there were a few times after some grateful dead shows that i saw busses flying..........

Images

quote:

By Associated PressPublished YesterdayANCHORAGE, Alaska —

An abandoned bus in the Alaska wilderness where a young man documented his demise over 114 days in 1992 has been removed by officials, frustrated that the bus has become a lure for dangerous, sometimes deadly pilgrimages into treacherous backcountry.

An Alaska National Guard Chinook helicopter flew the bus out of the woods just north of Denali National Park and Preserve on Thursday.Christopher McCandless hiked to the bus located about 250 miles (402 kilometers) north of Anchorage nearly three decades ago, and the 24-year-old Virginian died from starvation when he couldn't hike back out because of the swollen Teklanika River.

He kept a journal of his plight, discovered when his body was found. McCandless' story was first documented in Jon Krakauer's 1996 book "Into the Wild," followed by Sean Penn's movie of the same name in 2007.Over the years, the bus became a magnet for those wishing to retrace McCandless' steps to the bus to pay homage. But the Teklanika River that prevented McCandless from hiking out also has caused problems for people who came later on pilgrimages.

Two women, one from Switzerland in 2010 and one from Belarus in 2019, drowned on such pilgrimages.State officials said there have been 15 other search-and-rescue operations since 2009, including one involving five Italian tourists last winter, one with severe frostbite."We encourage people to enjoy Alaska's wild areas safely, and we understand the hold this bus has had on the popular imagination,"

Department of Natural Resources Commissioner Corri A. Feige said in a statement. "However, this is an abandoned and deteriorating vehicle that was requiring dangerous and costly rescue efforts, but more importantly, was costing some visitors their lives."In Alaska, the Department of Natural Resources is responsible for protecting and preserving state land."I was stunned when Commissioner Feige informed me," Carine McCandless, Christopher's sister, said in an email to The Associated Press. "Though I am saddened by the news, the decision was made with good intentions, and was certainly theirs to make. That bus didn't belong to Chris and it doesn't belong to his family."

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    there were a few times after some grateful dead shows that i saw busses flying..........
    Yeah I was having flash backs watching the bus flying, reminds of some old pink floyd shows...........

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++