Hello,

I live in NYC and know that a bunch of people would likely like to visit but it is prohibitively expensive. I would be happy to house either a single hiker or pair of hikers in my 2nd bedroom in queens. I am planning a thru hike in 2017 so all I'd ask is that you give me some advice/stories and we can call it square. We have a bedroom/shower and live next a Laundromat.

I would say that the best way to get to the city is from Bear Mountain State Park. You can either catch the bus at the visitor center, or if you go ahead and cross the bridge over the Hudson River there is a train that comes a few times a day on the metro that will take you right in to Grand Central in about an hour. There are no ticket machines at the stop, you just have to be standing by the tracks when the train comes by and it will stop. I have taken it several times, and honestly no one has ever asked me to pay, so maybe you will be as lucky too.

Should you want to crash at my apartment please either reply to this thread or PM me and I'll give you my phone number and we can coordinate. Please no more than 2 people however as we don't have a huge place.