WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Strange Jardine Quote...

I figured I'd post this here mostly out of fear of regular weight packers yelling at me to go back to my own forum.

I was leafing through my copy of 'Beyond Backpacking' last night, just skimming until I fell asleep and I came across this strange section. Its where he is discussing bears and the risks they pose relative to the rest of our existence. Here it is:

"On average, Glacier N.P. sees about two mauling incidents[by bears] a year. This is appalling, as are the many more deaths and serious injuries in that Park caused by falling off the trails and down cliffs, by auto accidents, heart attacks and so forth. City life is even more dangerous; thousands of people die annually from shootings, violent crimes, and lifestyle-related illnesses."

I don't want to jump to any conclusions here but what could he mean by this? I have my own assumptions but I'd like to hear what others have to say about it.

I think he is saying premature death is appalling.

I think he's saying he's chickens**t of bears.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Exclamation

I ain't a scared of no bears,,even the grizz we have up hern in AK,,

now Moose..I am kinda scared of Moose on the dog trail..those suckers can be mean ..they will stomp the poopy out of U>

as far as lifestyle illnesses ..I suspect he is talking about obese couch taters that are epidemic in Amerika.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

tideblazer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    I think he's saying he's chickens**t of bears.
    He does bring a double-barrelled sawed-off shotgun on arctic kayak trips.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

I suspect he's talking about the "Cheetos/ television/ don't walk, drive" lifestyle. I don't think it's an anti-homosexual thing, if that's what your hunch is.
    -Mark

Lifestyle related illness = diabetes, heart disease...etc??

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I take it to mean all the diseases that are associated with things like obesity, lack of exercise and poor eating habits as well as those that are associated with things like drug addiction, promiscuity, alcoholism, etc. I don't think he is singling out gay men.

Images

He's pointing out that-bear attacks in the woods are overstated and receive more press than they deserve, especially when compared to all the other ways people buy the farm.

He's right--I think a bear attack death is like 1 in 15 million, while dying of heart disease is 1 in 5, dying in a car accident 1 in 83. Something that was in some publication recently (BRO) i think?..
    See ya when I get there.

Geezer

Not sure I understand these death rate discussions about active, inactive, sedentary, etc. I always think of the death rate as one each.

What I do understand is that the likelihood of being mauled by a grizzly will drop dramatically if one lives a sedentary lifetyle in a major city, especially compared to, say, a backpacker spending a couple weeks in Glacier.
    Frosty

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

i have to agree ... he's pointing out that bear attacks, while they do happen, aren't anything to get worked up about. i think "lifestyle-illness" can refer to a lot of things ... lung cancer (from those cigamarettes), AIDS or other STDs (from unprotected sex -- homo or hetero or whatever), diabetes (from poor diet/exercise regimens), driving accidents (from abusing alcohol or taking unreasonable risks), drug overdoses (from abusing drugs). seems he's got a good point.

Nothing new...most diseases, including many if not most cancers, are lifestyle related. Too much tobacco, alcohol, fat (ingested and worn around the hips ), illicit drugs, etc., etc. Paired with lifestyle related habits of poor nutrition (little fresh vegetables, fruit, grain...), lack of exercise, and risky behavior (no seat belts, no safe sex, excessive/unprotected UV...) and you end up with a much lower lifespan then what could be. Most diseases are preventable as are most early deaths. At the least, a healthy lifestyle leads to more enjoyable last years no matter the age.

I'll step off my soapbox now and go plan my next sleepover with the grizzlies

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

no safe sex
    I don't know. I went through some spells of not being able to get any safe sex and the only risk was excessive frustration.

(Yeah, yeah...I know what you meant)

I personal have never been a fan of Ray Jardine but the way I see it he is point out as Tin Man said premature death is appalling. I agree that that lost of life is hurt fully but I think he’s off base on deaths that happen through nature.

The few hikers that are hurt or injured by bear attack, falling off the trails or down cliffs, it is sad but it is also part of nature. Nature is beautiful but it does have its own risk. If someone calls natural accidents “appalling” stay home.

Wolf

Well, since he eats almost exclusively raw food I would say he is talking about how Americans eat nothing but cooked food with all the nutrition leached out of it....

I think he is talking about 100 people getting killed, and the only one getting the press is the guy who got killed by the gun!
    I'm sorry, did I say AK-47? meant "bear"
    The Republican Super Size Me mentality kills more than the bear....
    ....what's so strange?

Default that was funny frosty

life style related illnesses means life styles that leave one ill.aids is a illness and if you get it from a blood transfusion after a car crash your illness would be catagorized as, your illness from aids you got when you got a blood transfution after a car crash.and if your gay and got aids from your lover ,your illness would be called ,the illness you got from your lover. and some one might say no,you got it from having sex with someone.and someone mite say no, you got your illness from having the bad,wrong,against god way of having sex. we could go on like this..looking at each persons way of describing an illness when in fact it all boils down to positive people and negitive people.this thread is bad. predijuice only die when we say so. lets say so and not post on this thread........starting............................ ...............now!

Default and only the poster cares

the quote is not wrong, the poster is pointing out
    "hey eveybody look,...this guy is gay bashing" witch is silly cause hes not and the poster is instigating weirdness.................

Default Shucks....

.....just when I was having fun!

Default Assumptions....

.....about "assumptions" Gotta love it, LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++