WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Is Tray Mountain Road (FS 79) passable year round by normal vehicles?

I was hoping to drive to Tray Gap to start my next day hike. My car is NOT 4 wheel drive or high ground clearance. I've driven it (slowly) on other FS roads, like 42.

I honestly have never seen it's connection with route 75 despite several drive by's. I just checked map quest to confirm it does actually exist Is it clearly marked? If not, are there any landmarks to watch out for? Thanks.

I've driven it in a low clearance car, but it has some bad spots, and I'd avoid it in real wet weather. It is better than the alternatives. Indian Grave Gap road is very rough, and crosses the Hiawassee river, which can get too high for low clearance. Corbin Creek road closes most winters. Chimney Mountain road has "4 wheel drive only" signs.

Only landmarks are some mailboxes on the inside of a curve.

Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    I've driven it in a low clearance car, but it has some bad spots, and I'd avoid it in real wet weather. It is better than the alternatives. Indian Grave Gap road is very rough, and crosses the Hiawassee river, which can get too high for low clearance. Corbin Creek road closes most winters. Chimney Mountain road has "4 wheel drive only" signs.

Only landmarks are some mailboxes on the inside of a curve.
    Thanks. On the Appalachian Impressions video (which must be over 10 years old now), it always struck me how that scoutmaster talked about going up to Tray Gap every year with his troop to do trail magic, with a big trailer in tow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can picture the entrance but don't know how to describe it. It's on the outside of a left bend and there are a bunch of mailboxes. I did have someone with a truck bring me up there. It would have been rough in our Buick. However, when we got in there, there was a minivan. Our present Subaru Forester would do it with no problem. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorfinn View Post
    I can picture the entrance but don't know how to describe it. It's on the outside of a left bend and there are a bunch of mailboxes. I did have someone with a truck bring me up there. It would have been rough in our Buick. However, when we got in there, there was a minivan. Our present Subaru Forester would do it with no problem. Good luck.
    Thank you. You're the second to point out mailboxes as a landmark so I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My shuttle driver refused to take me to Tray Gap because he said the road destroyed his car.

Carl

++ New Posts ++