WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Seam sealing a tent in cool weather

I just bought a Tarptent Notch along with some silicone sealant. The instructions don't mention temperature. I would guess it's best to apply the sealant in warm weather. This week it will be in the 60's Fahrenheit during the day and down in the 40's Fahrenheit overnight. Is that too cold to apply the silicone and have it cure overnight?

My Silnet silicone seam sealer recommends above 60F for 3-6 hours. I'd try to avoid the overnight portion. I set my notch up in my living room with weighted bags to seam seal it.

I routinely patch holes on my silnylon Hilleberg tent while on actual trips in cold winter temps. But if I was going to completely seal a new tent including floor and fly I'd wait and do it in warmer temps with full sunlight.

I have seam sealed tents outside at around 60f daytime temperature so probably around 40f or so at night.
    If you use the diluted version supplied by TT or if you mix your silicone with mineral spirit it should work at around those temps.
    Mind you I have done several shelters inside too but some can't stand the smell or don't have the space even moving furniture around.
    Because the Notch has straight seams and no sleeves, you could just do some seams at a time with the fabric laying flat on the floor.

Thanks, everyone. All good advice.

In those temps seam sealing should be dry enough in a few hrs. I really like McNetts products. I've seam sealed gear like tents, inflatable pads, etc by thinning McNetts Seam Sealer first and then using Cotol 240 Accelerator which cuts the dry time down to about 2 hrs.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/mcnett.htm

Cotol 240 works with Seam Grip a polyurethene polymer, we are discussing silicone in this thread.

++ New Posts ++