WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default AMC is proposing a new hut for New Hapshampshire's White Mountains

The new hut would be in Crawford Notch State park, not far from Zealand hut and have the advantage of being an easy destination for families, especially those with young children.

But I have reasons not to be happy about this. The white's are already to crowded and this would add to that. Do we really need another 130$ per night destination? NPR did a story on this, this morning and said staying at the hut (dinner and breakfast included) would cost a family of four 500 dollars. NH Fish and Game is on the list of those unhappy with the proposal due to potential ecological impacts.

What are your thoughts? Time to spout off!!!

DavidNH

Images

One of my favorite huts, my wife and I stayed at four of them along the NH AT, was the Zealand hut.... perhaps this will take some pressure off crowding at that hut? But I agree, more facilities = more and more people. Oh well. As much as we enjoyed the AT in NH, we wouldn't have even considered hiking through there in the height of summer. We were in Zealand a few days after labor day, 10 total guests the night we stayed at Zealand. 5 total at Lonesome lake. LOTC was packed though, as was Mitzpah.

It is eye-opening how much $$$ folks are spending these days for family vacations. A tribute to our thriving economy? Seems so.

More of an example of income stratification of a very wealthy few.

Images

so i guess every 2 or 3 months another person will discover this "news" and start a brand new thread so we can have the same discussion one more time? i think this is the 3rd or 4th such thread.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    More of an example of income stratification of a very wealthy few.
    Well, perhaps, but it sure seems there are a LOT of these "wealthy few" these days. And unemployment has dropped to below 5%. I digress... our resident Thread Policeman is becoming unsettled....

can't see it from my house. build it

$130/night?!?! And I thought Switzerland was expensive!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I have no horse in this race, but I would normally lend my support to the educated judgements of conservation experts and the locals.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    can't see it from my house. build it
    Can't see it from the AT, either.

Rather than debate the fee structure at this and other huts, I would simply suggest that more frugle and or poor hikers celebrate the high charges.

Why?

Because they help subsidize the actual cost of caretaker sites (like Ethan Pond) by about 50%.

Bet you never thought about it that way.

It might also be worth reflecting on the broad range of AMC contributions to not only maintainimg the trails in the Whites, but protecting thousands of acres adjacent to the HMW in Maine (some rich people wrote a few very large checks), establishing a framework for free chapter activities, and introducing many underserved communities by way of thier youth opportunity program.

And that is only scratching the surface.

This is new facility will be good thing. It is on state land, and will be easy to avoid if you stick to the White Blazes.

Images

I don't see the building of another hut as attracting any more people, aka crowds, than already exist. The Whites are crowded in the summer, and nothing is going to change that. Even if the proposed lodging capacity of 50 people is added everyday, 50 more people in Crawford Notch on any given day in the summer isn't much of a bump on the population radar. As to prices, nothing is cheap anywhere anymore. And having money simply has it's rewards - there's nothing new under the sun here. No one is going to force anyone to use this hut - there is plenty of camping available in the area. It would likely take some of the load off of the Zealand Falls and Mizpah Spring huts during peak season by splitting the 14 mile gap between those two. NH State parks is pretty much on board with AMC on this project. NHF&G environmental impact concerns warrant consideration. But so does the concept of opening up this area to those who due to physical limitations and disabilities cannot access most of the trails and other AMC huts. Another hut will obviously have an impact both during and after construction. But long-term, I don't see it as the huge impact problem many are making it out to be.

http://www.outdoors.org/about/newsro...t-proposal.cfm

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...LOM/story.html

But I agree with colorado_rob regarding timing - the best time to hike the Whites is after Labor Day and before Columbus Day/mid October anyway. Summer weekends are the worst. But I don't see another hut necessarily changing this aspect.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

what is a Hapshampshire

it is Hampshire poorly typed by an absent sleepy mind.

Who in the world would pay 130 dollars to stay in a hut?

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    Not sure about $130 but it was common to pay $60-80 per person in Switzerland last September which included dinner and a light breakfast. Those were dormitory style lodging but for the most part higher end than what you would expect at a typical hostel on the AT. Still I thought it was pretty steep even at $60+. $130 seems ridiculous - probably targeting the rich Boston weekenders rather than long distance hikers.

folks that can afford it and there's no lack of them in the region

-

pretty much everyone but work for stay (AMC members get some discount)

lake of the crowds hut for example $131
    http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/rate...?method=search

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    lake of the crowds hut for example $131
    http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/rate...?method=search
    labor day sunday

Images

Well, we considered our hike through the Whites to be something truly special, and it was. My wife and I stayed in four huts, that's 8 total person-nights, during our 100-mile AT section. We paid more like $100-105, using the AMC discount (15% maybe?). That $800+ was more than well worth it for the convenience, excellent and filling food (we carried 3 days of trail food for our 7-night tromp through the whites), and for the cool folks we met from all over, including lots of NH locals. We actually plan a repeat. To each his own!

People that imply that people who occasionally spend money are snobs, are themselves, snobs. Our "normal" life is very modest and frugal, hence why we can occasionally splurge.

Images

I would point out that clearly they are not charging too much since in the summer the huts are almost always full. Let the market decide the price, the rest of us can make other arrangements.

I see the real problem as the unfair advantage a 'nonprofit' (AMC) has over the local mom and pops in the regions that are just trying to get by. The little hotels and cabins in the region cannot compete against the AMC huts. I know in many ways they are providing a different service, but they are still competing for the same vacation dollars. It is not a level playing field.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++