WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Water question.

Like Stepinwolfe I'm very proactive on hydrating. I rarely pass a water source without topping off. Either my containers or me. I carry 2 liters of water most of the time but I have 2 more 1 liter collapsible containers in the pack if needed.
    Of my water containers three are collapsible and one a titanium bottle. Although I usually filter the bottle gives me the ability to boil just in case. If I'm out in real cold temps I don't use a filter due to freezing issues.

I was considering doing as Tacomakid or PAFranklin suggested. Any reason collapsible bottle vs camel back bladder as empty backup?

Images

There are two questions here:

1. What water capacity do you need?
    2. How much water do you need?

As far as water capacity goes, that determines the maximum you can carry at any time during the whole trip. For me, usually two liters is my max, but if there is drought or I know a long segment between water sources is coming up on the hike, I may opt to increase my capacity for that trip.

The second question can result in a different answer for each and every water source you leave (or how much you start with). For example, if I start out my section with 5 miles to my expected camping spot, I may be carrying two litter bottles, but only have one of them filled. If I am passing a stream near the bottom of a 2000' climb, I'd probably fill up both liters (and camel up also).

I switched from a 3L blather to a 2L bladder because the 2L will fit horizontal in my pack, the 3L didn't.
    I seem to drink more water than most people, so YMMV. I made a water mistake once and had to hike 5 miles dry. I did not die.
    Pro bicycle racers even use fluids IV to try to keep up. I've heard that 1L is about what a person can assimulate in an hour. So if it's hot out drink up in the evening to catch up. If you camel up you are still carrying it. It's just not in your pack, so what! Plus all the things other folks have said. Carry more at first until you learn more about what you can by with.
    Stepping out your front door is dangerous, Staying home is probably more dangerous though.
    Just a few thoughts!

All due respect to our resident super hikers, poor hydration can have nasty long-term effects you'd rather not experience. Don't skimp on water.

Images

Everyone has different water requirements. While it's okay to solicit opinions, your body and your hiking style will determine what you need to to keep yourself healthy out there. It is definitely a good idea to learn what your tolerances might be (do you drink a lot of water when you hike? How does your body do when hiking in humidity? Will you interrupt your hiking to go get water?), so that you can plan for how much water you might need to carry.

In addition, for anyone out there who might be starting new medications, or who might have been diagnosed with any new medical conditions over the winter, please talk to your doctor about any new hydration requirements for you. Some medications re

Images

...require you to drink additional water. Same for some medical conditions. In these instances, packing less water (to save on weight) might not be in your best interest.

The section we are planning is Neel Gap to Unicoi Gap in early April. I use a sawyer water filter and carry 2 collapsible bladders for dirty water(reason being is in October I had my only bladder bust at the seams while filtering water, luckily i was basically done getting water for the trip out).

When we went in October, I carried 2-1 liter smart water bottles due to them fitting in the side pockets of my pack better than any other bottles. Down fall to them is even when empty, they take up the same amount of space. This is the reason I am going with the collapsible water bottles this time. I have 3 1 liter, but I'm just unsure as to how many to take with water.

After reading a lot of the comments/replies, I'm leaning towards starting with 1.5 liters in 2 1 liter collapsible bottles with a 3 rolled up empty in my pack. May not need it for this trip but I would rather have an extra.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++