WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Post IF you were to choose Which would you buy

Its going to be raining for who knows how long on the AT; and I'm going to put on my rain jacket. Is it the
    Rab Atmos at 11 oz
    Marmot Essence at 6 oz
    Sierra Designs - Elite Cagoule at 6 oz

In the theory- all Breathable fabricate will soak through eventually -I choose the Sierra
    But as a section hiker choosing my weeks to hike can I get by with the Marmot.

These are all in the same price range. Currently I use the 5 dollar poncho, if it rips i toss it out at home.

Those with more wet weather hiking experience..... begin.

YOU FORGOT "NONE OF THE ABOVE"

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Dri Ducks $15-20 on Amazon for a rain suit and much more durable than a $5 poncho (although still not that durable)

Have you considered the Packa?

Take an umbrella.

I usually hike with my Marmot Essence($$$) if I think it may rain, if I know it will be raining then I grab my heavier (14oz!) Eddie Bauer Harbor Rain Shell($$), If I get caught in a down pour I will pull my Glad force flex garbage bag (0.25) and put it over either one... funny!

Images

I have a Columbia jacket my wife got me a couple years ago so when I've been out in the rain I just throw the rain/wind shell on does the trick most of the time, but I'm pretty poor so nothing beats a big lawn and garden trash bag or the heavy duty hazmat bags I get from work, can't beat free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the AT was like a golf course.............."it never rains on a golf course"
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Back on the trail View Post
    Its going to be raining for who knows how long on the AT; and I'm going to put on my rain jacket. Is it the
    Rab Atmos at 11 oz
    Marmot Essence at 6 oz
    Sierra Designs - Elite Cagoule at 6 oz

In the theory- all Breathable fabricate will soak through eventually -I choose the Sierra
    But as a section hiker choosing my weeks to hike can I get by with the Marmot.

These are all in the same price range. Currently I use the 5 dollar poncho, if it rips i toss it out at home.

Those with more wet weather hiking experience..... begin.
    Been using the Marmot for the last year. Works well for me. But I hope you realize that when hiking actively on trail, the main purpose of rain gear is to keep your inner warm sweaty layer(s) from losing heat to the outer cold wet stuff. A good jacket will let you drive out moisture with body heat to dry your base layer once you are in camp. The Marmot will do this.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

(Coffee)--I have a pair of Dri ducks ( Hot Box) OMG they are heavy - when I hiked NJ I use the $5 poncho which I have thrown away cause it torn when it got snagged - (lkmi) which is the reason I wouldn't get the Packa cause going off trail its never going to last. While I admit to using The 33 gallon Glad rain poncho before, I'm looking for an upgrade. (Qiwiz) Glad to hear you like your Essence. I was going to get a precip since it stows into it own pockets but there are a lot of bad reviews on it. Keep your thoughts coming. (moosling) backpack and tent bought used. sleeping pad got from dad. Stove - soda can made off you tube.

Images

wow my english isn't that bad - guess I should have re-read that before I hit POST.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Carrying a rain jacket that isn't waterproof is silly and is asking for hypothermia in the shoulder seasons.

I don't know where you got the idea that FroggToggs are heavy. I use an O2 Rainshield jacket that weighs 6 oz. (same material as FroggToggs and DriDucks) and is breathable and waterproof. The material is fragile, but that shouldn't be an issue on the AT since the trail is mostly well-groomed. Best $30 you can spend on hiking clothes.

++ New Posts ++