WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by neo
    i am gonna add this to my gear listto keep insulin cool.,going to just do short over night hikes
    over the next few weeks,then do a 60 mile hike at land between the lakes
    by early sept 2006 gonna hit the AT,cant wait neo

http://www.friouk.biz/us/results.php
    This time of year you'll be wanting to keep your insulin warm. Like close to your body heat. If it freezes you'll be in trouble. I've never done anything to keep my insulin cool while hiking, I don't even refrigerate it at home. It does not go bad, that is like a myth. If you are storing extra insulin long term keep it in the fridge, but your current vial will be fine at room temp. Pretty much the only time heat has ever damaged my insulin is when I leave it in the car for a long time on a hot summer day. You can tell by looking at it. The texture of the insulin changes, if it's the cloudy white insulin you're using the white particles get "clumpy".

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by neo
    ... going to just do short over night hikes over the next few weeks,then do a 60 mile hike at land between the lakes by early sept 2006 gonna hit the AT ....
    Cool, Neo! You can do it. Be glad to go on one of these hikes with you some day.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

another idea is to use insulin pens. they are a lot easier to use, and you dont carry lots of syringes just the neefle part. they make them for humalog, novolog, nph and probably others. if u go novolog, use flexpens, they are incredible. as a plus, you dont need to keep them refirgirated. and about exercise, for me, i just need to take baseline insulin, and the exercise takes care of snacking through the day, then some insulin at night. i would talk to a doctor however, as they know you and what u need better than anyone else. and if you are looking for a meter, the freestyle flash is awesome. its small, and use very little blood. and it lights up

Section and wanna be thru hiker bbanker's Avatar

Default Feet,feet, feet

In addition to diet, insulin and glucose testing, take care of your feet!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bbanker
    In addition to diet, insulin and glucose testing, take care of your feet!
    yeah i definately need my feet lol neo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by betic4lyf
    another idea is to use insulin pens. they are a lot easier to use, and you dont carry lots of syringes just the neefle part. they make them for humalog, novolog, nph and probably others. if u go novolog, use flexpens, they are incredible. as a plus, you dont need to keep them refirgirated. and about exercise, for me, i just need to take baseline insulin, and the exercise takes care of snacking through the day, then some insulin at night. i would talk to a doctor however, as they know you and what u need better than anyone else. and if you are looking for a meter, the freestyle flash is awesome. its small, and use very little blood. and it lights up
    thats what i use,an insulin pen,really cool neo

Neo, all I can say, is take some time to get used to it-a good friend of mine backpacks constantly-and he is Type 1. He goes solo even for weeks at a time, crossing glacial fed rivers sometimes 10 or more times a day! Hi name is GoBlueHiker on some other forums-and he proves that you can be diabetic with a life Another example is 4 Wheel Bob, out here in the West-he is a wheelchair/diabetes and hikes more than 99% of people-he has incredible upper strength!
    Give yourself time to whine and moan..trust me! Life does get better after usually.

PS: Please watch your feet! My mom is Type 2 and has lost part of her feet-and is on dialyis for the past 4 or so years-she is reason why exercise is your friend!!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++