WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

From a safety standpoint, very little concern. From a logistics and convenience and yeah, even social standpoint, quite a bit. It's 2016. You are a product of "these modern times". You're pretty smart. Weigh the advantages and disadvantages of 6 ounces extra. Hint: in the old days we often carried that much weight in coins in order to be able to use pay phones and/or buy sodas at machines. You might want to consider bringing a phone and sending it home in Damascus if you haven't found it useful enough and no longer desire it by then.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 01-21-2016 at 19:19.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    I'm not all that familiar with the relatively new procedures to get a permit for thru-hiking GSMNP, but I do recall a lot of people mentioning using their phones while on the trail to get a reservation and make payments.

Maybe someone else can address the procedures for setting up a thru-hike of GSMNP without a personal phone...
    You need a printed permit for GSMNP, so a phone doesn't help you there.

Sure you can get by without a phone, but a phone or better yet a smart phone, does make life easier in a number of ways and there is little reason not to have one in this day and age due to either weight or expense.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Yeah, I go back and forth on this. On our Long Trail thru, the phone part turned out to be really useful several times in trying to get a reservation in the next town -- everybody else is calling for a room, so just showing up first come first served doesn't work very well anymore. And the internet part meant that when I was in town I could use email to stay in contact with certain folks back home.

While we hiked, the phone was turned off or on airplane mode and buried in my pack. The battery would easily last a couple of weeks that way.

My lovely wife, on the other hand, used her phone constantly -- but never for phone calls or texts. It was her camera, her journal, and her trail guide. While it was on airplane mode the whole time, she would get to town after 4-5 days and really need to charge the thing. She was able to keep a very nice journal using the Day One app, far more than I could keep with a pencil and paper. If you add up the weight of a camera, journal, and guidebook, the phone suddenly looks a lot lighter.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Default Thru W/Out Phone?

I used to be in the anti cell phone camp then I realized just because it's there doesn't mean I have to use it so it stays buried in my pack in a ziplock. I was happy to have it this summer as I needed the alarm clock to get me up early to make some extra miles to finish my hike in the time I had off work.

What a strange thread. Of course you can hike without a phone. I knew phones had grown more popular over the years, but never expected to see this question. Never.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CoconutTree View Post
    What a strange thread. Of course you can hike without a phone. I knew phones had grown more popular over the years, but never expected to see this question. Never.
    True, but they are very convenient and multi-purpose devices as many point out. Phone, text, email, browser, camera, and even whole guidebooks all in one small light package.

I found this post from another thread that shows one such use:
    Quote Originally Posted by CoconutTree View Post
    You are taking the whole thru hikers companion?

Depending on how attached you are to carrying paper maps, you could just take a picture of them with your phone.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I imagine that, when the time comes, I'll pack a minimalist phone. I'm not happy with the idea, though.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

If you need a phone there used to be one at the cafe on top of Mt Washington. In 1974 I called home from there and the reply was "what kind of a mountain has a phone on the summit?"
    Not much of one, I guess...

You'll be perfectly fine without it. It will help in achieving mindfulness. Carry a map and compass, a guidebook, and bring a camera.

Very startling the replies are.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

When someone whips out a phone on a summit, like I experienced on Katahdin, to call their bff it ruins the wilderness for me. Perhaps we can agree on some phone etiquette on the trail. I carry a smart phone now and use it for the camera primarily while on the trail. And communicating in town. One of my favorite bumper stickers is " hang up and drive". Perhaps we need "hang up and hike" stickers!! -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lets see, an 18yo comes in here, first post, and asks about NOT using a phone? Any of you know of an 18yo that would even consider being without their phone, ever? Let alone for 6 months?

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    Lets see, an 18yo comes in here, first post, and asks about NOT using a phone? Any of you know of an 18yo that would even consider being without their phone, ever? Let alone for 6 months?
    Good point!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-

impossible, you will not even make it to neals WO a cell

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    to White Blaze!

A cheap Trac Phone can be charged, turned off, and then stowed in a Ziploc at the bottom of your pack. Only a few ounces. Might also come in handy if you start hiking with a group of people and then want to reconnect along the trail. .
    I agree that a phone is not a daily necessity. I leave my phone off for days at a time. I do, however, turn it on to occasionally check in with family, call a shuttle, or check the weather when it looks threatening - and I am deliberating on going to the next shelter (NOTE: there is not always someone around with a phone! - especially as you move further north and the huge bubble begins to drop out).

What the heck - get the cheap, light-weight (only a couple ounces) disposable phone. Charge it. Leave it off. It will be an emergency back-up -in case it is needed....

During a rain storm is not the time to be caught without a phone, without others who have a phone, and lack of ride to town.
    Forgive me if I'm missing something, but a rain storm is particularly dangerous? I would think a thunderstorm would be the time to not be caught without a ride to town, but are rain storms really to be avoided that badly?

- During a rain storm is not the time to be caught without a phone, without others who have a phone, and lack of ride to town.
    dumbest thing i've read in a while

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ronen.schatsky View Post
    I would like to thru-hike without my phone. I just like the freedom, plus don't want the extra pounds, and don't feel like worrying about keeping it dry and charged throughout my hike.
    I understand this course of action would mean a lot of hitch-hiking into town instead of calling a shuttle, but would that really be that bad?
    And is there any serious safety argument saying I should bring my phone?
    Is anyone else considering going phone-free?
    If your phone weighs pounds you need a new one. 5-6 oz is about norm.
    Battery packs and solar chargers are not a requirement.
    Nobody gonna twist your arm and make you use it.
    Leave it off and it lasts a long time.

I'm not taking a phone with me but I don't know anyone in America anyway.

Taking a cellphone is like any other piece of gear someone might bring. One person says they love Mini Bic lighters and there will be a bunch of people complaining that he or she isn't adhering to the essence of the trail. This is just an example and I'm not anti-mini Bic. To each their own and I will admit I'll be bringing a cellphone on the trail for various reasons. Some people bring a "Spot" to keep family abreast of their movements and I couldn't agree more. I sailed my sailboat up the Inside Passage from Washington to Alaska and I used a Spot to keep family and friends updated on my progress, when I was outside cellphone range. I won't be bringing a Spot along since I'll have convenient communication with my cellphone. To each their own and I believe this should be covered under "Hike your own hike".

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    dumbest thing i've read in a while
    Go re-read the thread about the proposed AMC hut...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++