WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default modifying current pack

Let me start by saying that I love my lightweight pack. It weighs in at 12 oz. But it is 40L and I need just a bit more space. It has a top flap that includes a pocket on top and bottom of the flap. I do not want to lose this feature. Under the flap, the main compartment has a drawstring closure. The entire bag is rip stop. I am thinking about cutting the drawstring part off and flap off, adding material and then re-attaching the drawstring and flap. I hammock camp with a diy tarp. I am mainly looking at increasing pack capacity due to adding a sleeping bag that has been modified for an under/top quilt. The sleeping bag weighs in at around 2.5 lbs. My question is to all you more experienced diy-er's, how hard does this sound? And if I am only adding 2-3 lbs, would I need to re-position the shoulder straps? I will probably already have to reinforce them but not sure about placement.

My current weight packed minus water is just under 17 lbs. Also, I just don't have the money to buy a new pack or a lighter sleeping bag.

Also, how much material should I add?

Maybe you could just go with some kind of separate small pack that can act as a lid. You can just lash it to the top of the pack. For example, you could get a ZPacks Multipack, and then you could put it up there.

My pack has a lid, I called it a flap in the OP but it has a drawstring closure with a lid(the lid has a pocket on the top and a pocket on the underside).

Since the OP I have been thinking about something different. I think I may remove the "lid" and drawstring, add more material and make it a roll top closure. I have plenty of rip stop nylon.

I'd first test to see if you like carrying that extra weight with the pack as it is. If you dont like it now, you wont like it after you add extra space.

Images

I have modified every pack that I have purchased in the last ten years. If I follow your post, it sounds pretty straightforward. Cut a cross section and insert new piece. depending on the material and the age you might even be able to match the fabric. As far as how much, not sure how anyone could answer this with the info provided.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I have modified every pack that I have purchased in the last ten years. If I follow your post, it sounds pretty straightforward. Cut a cross section and insert new piece. depending on the material and the age you might even be able to match the fabric. As far as how much, not sure how anyone could answer this with the info provided.
    I hope it as easy as it sounds. I'm planning on looking over the pack in more detail tomorrow and make a list of what I will need. Maybe start on it this weekend. I will be sure to take pictures to share.

++ New Posts ++