WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Custom hammock?

Default Custom hammock?

My options for a solo overnight that I wouldn't want to bring either one of my tents most likely in the snow has left me with a decision of either bivy or hammock. The wife said she'd think I'd prefer a hammock and I'd say I agree. I don't know where to start looking though. I'm 6' 2" 175ish. I'd like a removable bug net and I'm thinking a double layer to insert a pad or reflectix sheet. I'd like it to be a one stop purchase with fly and good hanging straps. I'd like to try out a silnylon fly as I have a Cuban tent. Anything pointing me in the right direction would be great and I'm not against anything on the cheap side. I'm very easy on my gear when I need to be. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

i bought the Hennesey Ultralight Explorer for that same reason 7 years ago, but no double layer and had tohave a zipper mod done. check hammock forum for other options
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

also how low in temp are you planning on going?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Honestly I haven't been very low on the ground so I cant say. I figured I could use my over bag to wrap myself and be ok in maybe the 20s considering no uq since I'm off the ground but just getting the base for now will lead me to understanding how they sleep

Quote Originally Posted by sethd513 View Post
    Honestly I haven't been very low on the ground so I cant say. I figured I could use my over bag to wrap myself and be ok in maybe the 20s considering no uq since I'm off the ground but just getting the base for now will lead me to understanding how they sleep
    Off the ground you need an UQ or pad for anything below 60 or so. Head over to hammockforums.com, there are tons of threads/faq's over there with more info than you will ever need. Of course you can keep asking here too. Welcome to hammocks.

I own 3 custom lightweight hammocks from Dream Hammocks. Made to order and customizable. Cottage vendor. I finally got to meet the owners last weekend. Check them out.

http://www.hiker63.com

Plus 1 for dream hammock. You can customize everything from the fabric, length, removable bug net or store it in the foot end, to even the stitching.

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    Off the ground you need an UQ or pad for anything below 60 or so. Head over to hammockforums.com, there are tons of threads/faq's over there with more info than you will ever need. Of course you can keep asking here too. Welcome to hammocks.
    So what's the general rule of thumb with your uq and outside temp? Maybe a scenario where it's 30* and -10*. I understand everyone sleeps different and there is no heat benefit like a tent.

Images

check out Dutch at Dutchware he has several light weight hammock options reasonably priced

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

If you're looking for one-stop shopping, try Warbonnet. Very highly regarded equipment, you'll see it mentioned and praised all over hammock forums, abbreviated as WBBB (WarBonnet Black Bird).

http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/

I know this thread is a few months out but wanted to comment on something said. You can hang in a hammock, an inch from the ground and use a tarp with doors. Pin that tarp straight to the ground if you want and it's just like a tent except you are hanging my brothers.

++ New Posts ++