WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Weather can alter your trek thru SMNP. I spent 4 nights going thru SMNP (starting @ Fontana Dam Shelter): Russell Field Shelter (13.8M), Silers Bald Shelter (14.7M), Gatlinburg (12.5M), and Tricorner Knob Shelter (15.6M). The first night out of SMNP was @ Standing Bear Hostel (18.4M).

All mileages based on 2013 Awol Guide.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    35-40 pounds +
    Well Muddy, i've tried really hard to pare down my weight after all the advice you folks have given me. My big 3: pack=#2-5oz, hammock=13oz, winter UQ= #1-8oz
    winter TQ=#1-11oz for a total of #6-5oz. I still think I'll hit the 30+ range with medical necessities. for instance a wrist style BP cuff and the amount of meds I need to carry. then add in food,fuel, and water. I bet i'm close to what you call heavy.
    POWERED BY A DONATED HEART!

http://www.at-tinman.com

Images

early november can be a good time, still a bit of color down low and nice clear skies if weather cooperates.

Journal Entries

Ok, I am planning for 2nd week of May and I have 2 bags and a Snugpak Thermalon liner. One bag is rated at 45f. And the other bag at 15f. Which do you take through the park mid May? Thanks in advance!

Images

i would almost just take the 15 to be safe...........

ive been up at mount sterling in the middle of may when it got to the low 30's..............i had just a bag (no liner) rated for 45 and i was a bit chilly at night....

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Climate average is a low around 45 that time of year, and you can easily expect temps anywhere between freezing and 55ish at night.
    I use a 32 degree bag and wool hats that time of year in GSMNP.
    FYI, I've been at Ice Water in July when Temps got in the hi 30s.

I just got back from a walk through the Park (well, technically I did the north half and backtracked because I've done the southern half twice and didn't have the funds to pay a shuttle).
    I googled "Clingmans Dome weather 10 day forecast" before I left, and it was pretty close.

March 19, Cosby Knob Shelter, light rain in the evening that froze on my tent
    March 20, TriCorner Knob Shelter, 6" of snow overnight - low of about 15 degrees.
    March 21, Icewater Spring Shelter, Low of about 20
    March 22, Double Spring Gap Shelter, Low of about 30
    March 23, back to Icewater Spring Shelter, Low of about 30
    March 24, back to TriCorner Knob Shelter, Lows in lower 30's - rain all night. (we got 19 people in that 12 person shelter)
    March 25, hiked 17 miles to Davenport Gap, hung a right on the gravel road, hung a right to the Big Creek Ranger Station where I parked.

Two days after the snow fell, it would thaw in the afternoon, then refreeze at night, making icy conditions that put this Florida boy on his backpack 7 times in 2 days. I was fortunate to land on my backpack each time I slipped and fell. Bent my trekking poles, bent my fork, cracked my Katadyn Mini filter. Through hikers were kind enough to let me use their filters and/or drops - was able to straighten out the bent aluminum pieces. After the snow and ice melt, there's plenty of mud.

We just did it in 6 days (four women ages 55-70). We thought we would have enjoyed it more with one more day, but it was definitely doable in that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatgas View Post
    A week? Ten days?
    Goat Gas I met you at War Spur Shelter in VA 2 days before you flopped to Maine. Are you still headed south?

Tried to upload a picture of you but WB is not cooperating
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Did it in 6 days/5 nights as a section hiker, September 1999, split into in two sections SOBO and NOBO from Clingman's. Wasn't hurried, but weather was better than what NOBO thrus experience.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Time of year?

Summer hours I'm out early on the 4th day - 3 nights. Winter hours the morning of the 5th - 4 nights.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    The GSMNP thru-hiker permit only allows for 8 days to traverse the park.

You can obtain the permit upto 30 days before you enter the park. But once you enter the park within those 30 days, your permit expires after 8 days. So the only way your permit remains valid for the "upto 38 days" listed on the web site is if you enter the park on the 30th day after obtaining the permit.

If you plan to take longer, you would be required to obtain a general hiker permit where you are required to obtain a reservation for each camp site you plan to stay at.
    Would you be able to use a thru permit for the first 8 days then just use the general permit for the remaining sites? Or does a plan to take more than 8 days disqualify someone from a thru permit?

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    depends on how many days you get sucked into Gatlinburg.....
    If it can be done reasonably in 5 days then why is it common to go to Gatlinburg for a resupply from Clingman's Dome or Newfound Gap? That is 16 miles of slow, motion sickness inducing driving. I have done day hikes in the Smokies for decades but never an overnight trip. One thru hiker told me he had to take a cab back up the mountain because hitching a ride wasn't working. The grocery store there is also inconveniently located. I'm considering a thru hike and would like to plan doing the 74 miles over the Smokies without a town stop.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    If it can be done reasonably in 5 days then why is it common to go to Gatlinburg for a resupply from Clingman's Dome or Newfound Gap? That is 16 miles of slow, motion sickness inducing driving. I have done day hikes in the Smokies for decades but never an overnight trip. One thru hiker told me he had to take a cab back up the mountain because hitching a ride wasn't working. The grocery store there is also inconveniently located. I'm considering a thru hike and would like to plan doing the 74 miles over the Smokies without a town stop.
    Nobo You are also coming from a very limited and expensive resupply option (Fontana Dam), so one might decide to resupply in G-b simply from the limitations of Fontana that they find. The AT is full of that, making decisions from what they find at the moment. If Fontana had a better and cheaper resupply, then more may bypass G-b. SoBo has also limited resupply at Standing Bear - though I never hiked it that way.

Images

Much easier to send a supply box to Fontana Lodge, then walk straight thru the park to Standing Bear. Pick up enough food there to get to Hot Springs.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Would you be able to use a thru permit for the first 8 days then just use the general permit for the remaining sites? Or does a plan to take more than 8 days disqualify someone from a thru permit?
    A thru permit requires you to start and end your hike ON THE PERMIT at least 50 miles beyond the park boundary. So if you expect to take more than 8 days, you simply need a pair of general purpose permits. The bad news is that that requires you obtain a reservation for each camp site you expect to stay at. But the good news is that it won't cost more. The maximum fee for a general purpose permit is the same $20 as the cost of a thru permit... however, the maximum length of a general purpose permit is the same 8 days (7 nights) as the thru. So to remain in GSMNP for more than 8 days requires two separate back-to-back permits.

I spent 7 nights going through GSMNP. The first day climbing up to Mollie's Ridge is practically straight up. But once you are up there the trail isn't too bad. I started early and got there early afternoon and just spent the rest of the afternoon hanging out. Its a nice place to do that. Take your time and enjoy it. Its one of the most beautiful places you will ever see.

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    +1 to this..
    +1

We did 6 days but could have easily done 5.

“Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain.” — Unknown

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm heading out in late October and have planned 8 days from Fontana to Standing Bear with a zero in Gatlinburg. It can certainly be done faster, but the point of this hike is smiles.. not miles.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++