WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Winter storm

Default Winter storm

I'm hoping no one is on the AT with this storm moving in. Or they can hunker down in a shelter or, better yet, get off the trail for a few days!
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Journal Entries

My hope is that they've gotten the word.

Images

TiPi will be the only one out in this one. This will put a bit of adventure in the early starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    TiPi will be the only one out in this one. This will put a bit of adventure in the early starters.
    The brunt of the storm will be in northern Virginia and no one is that far north yet. I guess a few are in central NC now, like that speedy hiker girl trying to do the one year triple crown, who will be impacted to some extent by the storm.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I saw a report last night that the Shenandoah NP area could get 30-50 inches.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Funny, my first thought was "Man, if I had a hillenberg and a free week I'd grab my snowshoes and 7 days of food and head for the hills!"*

*Don't do what "Donnie Don't" does...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Funny, my first thought was "Man, if I had a hillenberg and a free week I'd grab my snowshoes and 7 days of food and head for the hills!"
    I'd prefer a cozy cabin with a nice big wood stove and a big pile of seasoned cordwood just outside the front door. A good book and enough candle light to read by.

Its weather like this were volunteers should meet the majority of folks at trailheads and ask two questions

Name?

Next of Kin?

The folks at Tuckermans reportedly used to ask this if the avalanche warnings were extremely high.

Nevertheless I expect some news reports of heroic rescues of clueless hikers on the news.

Images

Via Trail Journals, one hiker made it to Standing Bear hostel yesterday and another one had just made NOC.Two others were "taking a break" from the trail,one going back to Alabama and the other I don't know where he's at.All had 20* sleeping bags and canister stoves.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Images

Also I found this out the hard way when needing to call my ride home from an overlook with great cell service.Heavy snow blocks most cell service and I barely got a signal at a lower elevation before dropping into a hollow on the lower end of the trail.The snow turned into a 36* rain and my back got a bit wet.My ride was late and I was almost stage 1 hypothermic when he arrived.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I saw a report last night that the Shenandoah NP area could get 30-50 inches.
    This too was posted on their twitter. 20"-28" today and overnight with an additional 10-14 inches through midnight tomorrow.

Roanoke Valley expects 18-24 inches.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Sounds like ice will be the big story down though NC and into Georgia. Could turn the trail into quite the obstacle course.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Sounds like ice will be the big story down though NC and into Georgia. Could turn the trail into quite the obstacle course.
    as my football coach (or was it my math teacher) used to say..."if it was easy, everybody could do it". That has stuck with me all these years. I think you have to assume that if someone is out hiking the mountains in this storm that A) they either know what they are are doing or B) they don't. One hopes for the best for those in group B.

Therealhikingvilking is hiking Sobo, but he's still far enough north where hes going to miss it.

Funny, my first thought was "Man, if I had a hillenberg and a free week I'd grab my snowshoes and 7 days of food and head for the hills!"*
    I'm with ya - Nothing more peaceful than snowshoeing and camping in deep snow. A perfect layer of snow on your tent offers great insulation.

The Northern Ruck is occurring this weekend at Bear's Den - right in the midst of the heaviest forecast snowfall!

Images

FWIW the hiker NOBO near Davenport Gap has "Blizzard" for his trail name.

Blizzard's journal is great

Journal Entries

Funny, my first thought was "Man, if I had a hillenberg and a free week I'd grab my snowshoes and 7 days of food and head for the hills!"
    I wasn't quite so ambitious but I grabbed my snowshoes and did a 4-mile loop in our local county parks. It was so much fun!!!

Images

did the smokies in blizzard conditions in march 2004 (see my Pictures) post holing was a PIA so was finding the trail in certain spots just be prepared and hunker down when necessary One unprepared hiker was airlifted out of the shelter back then by the Tenn Air National guard he was a college kid and was wearing cotton cameo pants Not a AT hiker .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++