WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tacomakid01 View Post
    There are alot of threads about base weight, water weight etc. I am just curious as to what is the lightest total weight pack you guys have gotten down to? I have seen somewhere that UL is 18 lbs or less. I have gotten my pack down to just over 20 lbs total, that was for a 3 day trip.
    One member here Wolf - 23000, typically has posted that his base weight is under 5lbs. That's for fairly benign temperatures. I can't get near that. I don't have the experience, skill, and desire more "luxury" as well. The 23000 in his name is in reference to 23000 trail miles. There are others who are close. Often using cuben pack, cuben tarp, ultralight quilt, and minimalist pad.

That said, all discussions of weight have to consider the hiking environment. Location, climate, time of year, nature of hike (thru or LASH vs section/weekend, etc.) Otherwise you aren't comparing like things or events. My summer gear for short sections in the Whites and VT (7 - 8 lbs base depending upon if I use tarp, tent or hammock) is probably more like a shoulder season setup in the southern mountains. Typically I'm at around 15 lbs before food and water when the temperature is above freezing.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 01-23-2016 at 10:15.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    One member here Wolf - 23000, typically has posted that his base weight is under 5lbs. That's for fairly benign temperatures. I can't get near that. I don't have the experience, skill, and desire more "luxury" as well. The 23000 in his name is in reference to 23000 trail miles. There are others who are close. Often using cuben pack, cuben tarp, ultralight quilt, and minimalist pad.

I recall his pack being closer to half of 5 lbs.

Its all what you like at some point. Much moreso that than experience or skills. Thats relatively easy to get, just start using gear and read some tips.

I like 10 oz of air mattress and ccf, others are oK with 3 oz of CCF only.
    I like 2oz pot/stove combo. Others like 16oz, and some like no-cook.
    I like 10 oz rainsuit, others like 1 oz dime-store poncho, others like their 20oz raingear
    I like my 8 oz tarp, others like 32 oz tent
    I like hiking 15-22 mpd. Some like 10. Some like 25-40

If you are happy hiking the miles you hike, with the gear you have, that is all that matters.
    But if you want to hike farther, faster, then getting lighter is beneficial
    The difference can be having enough time to hike 500 mile trails on a few weeks vacation, and not being able to do that.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-23-2016 at 10:41.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I recall his pack being closer to half of 5 lbs.
    You are probably correct. He definitely has one of the lowest pack weights I've read about though.
    If you are happy hiking the miles you hike, with the gear you have, that is all that matters.
    Yep! It's supposed to bring you joy.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries

The Sierra is probably the most benign placed to practice going really light in the summer. Rain is usually infrequent and short, air is dry, minimal shelters and kits can be used.

If you want to try really UL, just bring the gear in addition to regular gear. Use the 1oz poncho when it rains, even though you have 20 oz of raingear in your pack. Sleep under a 5 oz tarp, even though you have a tent with you. Get the confidence that yes, you dont need as much as you have become accustomed too, and the extra wt is really minimal to give it a go, with a fallback.

I don't think lightest total weight is too meaningful, and to illustrate this, my lightest total weight was 5 pounds: Sleeping bag 2.5 lbs, daypack 1.5 lbs, water 1 lbs, ground sheet 2oz. This trip was less than 24 hours and i ate a good meal before i left and at a good meal when i returned to my car. Weather was perfect.

I can manage about 22-25 lb. total pack weight for a three or four day hike in benign New England three-season conditions.

That includes food and snacks, a liter of water, small camera.

When I started hiking as a 20-something, and when I walked the approach trail to Springer years ago, it was twice that weight. Didn't know any better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++