Default Men's vs. Women's Sleeping Bags

I was looking at sleeping bags on REI and noticed they provide an "EN Lower Limit (Rating for Men)" and an "EN Comfort (Rating for Women)". Naturally my first impulse was to scoff at the patriarchy for thinking I'm not tough enough to handle the same temperatures as a man. But then I remembered that when it comes to the cold I am actually a pansy. I've always attributed this to being Floridian, not being female, but in either case I have to acknowledge that I am a wimp. So, before applying the feminist war paint I checked out the REI Expert Advice article on sleeping bags, and I learned that there is real scientific research indicating that I'm not tough enough to handle the same temperatures as a man. *sigh of disappointment with my own biology*

Anyway, my question to other lady hikers out there is this: what sleeping bag do you use? Are you warm enough down to the lower limit, or only to the "comfort" limit? Do you use a sleeping bag specifically made for women, or a men's/unisex one? Sites other than REI seem to give only the lower temp limit, and now I'm concerned that if those ratings are meant for men, perhaps I should buy a bag with a lower rating than I originally imagined. I think as both a Floridian and a female, I should err on the side of overpreparedness. I've lived in Virginia for long enough to toughen up a little, but my northern friends still laugh at my multitude of layers in the winter time.

Thanks for any input!

Images

to White Blaze!

You will receive many answers to your question, but there really is only one correct answer - The sleeping bag has to be comfortable for you. Many women sleep colder than men. That is just the design of our bodies. Then you have the variable of how cold do you normally sleep, amount of body fat, etc.

There are very few sleeping bags out that that are actually comfortable at the lower limit. Depending on brand, as well as how you store the sleeping bag when not in use, you will generally want to add 5-10* to find where the true lower end of where a sleeping bag is comfortable. Then you need to take into account how cold you normally sleep.

Due to all this, it is better to go with a bag that is rated for colder temps than you will actually use it. It is far easier to cool off, than it is to get warm once you are cold. Sleep is essential to staying healthy on your hike - That is the time when your body recuperates and gets ready for the next day. The less sleep you get, the less fun you will have on your hike!

Do you have any friends with sleeping bags? You might start by borrowing one of their bags and testing various temps so you can get a better idea of what sleeping bag will be right for you. You could also go the route of a backpacking quilt with a really low rating - They often do not have the bulk of a bag, and it is easy to kick it off when you get a little too warm at night.

As a female who did a lot of research before buying a bag that research is pretty solid. Men just tend to be warmer than women for the most part (they always seem to raost me out of bed actually).

Since I am a colder sleeper, and also a pansy in the cold (God only knows why I live in Wyoming), I did opt for a 10* colder bag than I thought I wanted...a 10* bag instead of a 20* bag (quilt/bag convert actually). I would rather be too warm and vent the bag slightly than be cold with no way to get warmer...which is also why I went with a convertible bag/quilt so I can use it across a larger variety of temperatures. Mine is a unisex quilt/bag from Enlightened Equipment but I originally did look at women's bags from Kelty, Big Agnes and Thermarest. They add extra insulation to the bag to get to the same rating, and give a little more room around the hip and foot area. They are also often offered in two lengths so short girls, like me, aren't trying to warm up the foot box of an X-Long bag.

I use a 0*-rated bag when horse camping in a bedroll, on a cot, and have been warm in that down to 20*, and that was rated for men. I do bury myself in it since it is synthetic and not down, and also huge.

I would definitely recommend erring on the side of caution and buy a bag slightly too warm so you have the option to vent it if needed. Hope this info helps.

Wish this forum had an edit option for a post!

I meant the women's specific sleeping bags have more insulation in the hip, chest and foot area, more room in the hip area and a narrower footbox.

And "roast" not "raost"

There's some recent science that women have more nerve endings than men, and that they also have the greater mental capacity to ignore pain. Granted, I haven't explored these claims in any kind of detail.

This fits in with my anecdotal evidence that my ex wife was the biggest complainer ever when it came to tiny pains that I'd routinely ignore (splinters, bee stings, cold and flu symptoms, etc.)... yet she gave birth twice without making the slightest complaint. So, don't think of it as being wimpier. It's not particularly impressive for men to ignore pain that they barely feel.

Completely unrelated but interesting.

When you're cold, your body stops pumping as much blood to your extremities to keep your core temperature up.

I read that women start doing that 2 degrees before men do. So when we moan that your feet are like ice in bed, it's because they bloody are!

Check out the specs page about length, shoulder width, hip width, along the down rating.

I too have been doing research on men's vs women's bag. Women's tend to be cut smaller around the shoulders but more room In the hips. They often have extra insulation in the foot box.
    I plan to buy a bag 10* colder than what I anticipate will be my coldest.
    As far as the body shunting blood when it's cold this is true. When we are cold the body begins to keep a larger volume of blood in the trunk trying to protect and preserve the vital organs. This the extremities get less blood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

My husband uses a 30° bag while I use a 15° bag + a down or fleece jacket or both used like blankets inside the sleeping bag. And of course long johns, long sleeves, and wool socks or down booties. With all that I still might lay there shivering for a while until my body finally warms up. Snuggling a little helps a lot.

EN ratings are an effective method to compare manufacturers or models. They don't necessarily calibrate to an individual. Almost all manufacturers assume the sleeper is wearing at least a baselayer and headwear. I think the EN testing is set up that way.

Better to be too warm than too cold, you can always remove layers or vent a sleeping bag or quilts. Quilts are more versatile over a wider range of temps, but not as well suited, by many, for very low temps.

My wife and daughters are typically in 15 deg bags at nighttime temps ranging from low to mid 30's to mid to low 40's. They use puffys and beanies to handle the lower temps.

++ New Posts ++