WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmountainguy View Post
    There are many portable power packs such as "Juice Pack" but I am looking into a solar charger. Many are available for instance in catalogs and any EMS outlet (I have even seen cheap models in big retailers. I am told they work well for a cell phone at least, but do not have wider experience. I am planning to section hike the Long Trail this summer, and I am wondering if really powerful sunlight is needed pretty much always. The power packs (I have one) basically give me one full day of power. After that, I will be down to solar. I will probably take a Sierra Stove (formerly at least called a Zip Stove) and would like to recharge a battery or two for that as well.
    I gave up on the Sierra Stove. I am going with a canister.
    Solar chargers: I am informed are worthless in the northeast where canopy/tree cover is common and so is cloud cover. Reliable and experienced informants told me to give it up.
    I would still like to find one of the units I saw that permits a purchased disposable battery to be used to recharge a phone. I have not seen them in years however.

I googled "usb alkaline battery pack" and found this
    https://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-Charg.../dp/B00D2ZQ6ZI

Not too long ago, one of my kids had one of those "usefull hack" youtube videos up and they were showing how to make one that was powered with a 9 volt battery

I'll add this to the discussion of the solar options.
    I bought one of the panels by anker several years ago. Used it at Boy Scout summer camp 2 years ago for the 1st and only time so far.... well I tried to use it.
    I was stationary in "base camp", trying to charge my anker battery pack. It was a bit shady around, but I spent the time when actually sitting around camp trying to chase the sun with it. I found a stump that got full sun for a couple hours every day, then I had to move around to other bright but speckled shade areas.
    Well I could barely get any charge at all that way. I finally just gave up.

I'd guess to be useful, you really have to have full uninterrupted sun
    and you'd likely have to point the thing right at the sun angle...not just laying flat on the ground. Maybe ok hanging on a pack in the desert with full sun ALL day.....
    I keep mine, not for backpacking really...but more as a "disaster prep" option.

....duplicate post
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 08-27-2017 at 15:01.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmountainguy View Post
    I would still like to find one of the units I saw that permits a purchased disposable battery to be used to recharge a phone. I have not seen them in years however.
    Not worth it. They eat AA batteries like crazy. Might be handy if you can't get to mains power for weeks, but then you'd better have a big stash of AA's available.
    Not too long ago, one of my kids had one of those "usefull hack" youtube videos up and they were showing how to make one that was powered with a 9 volt battery
    9V batteries have a low mAh rating and are expensive. Definitely not worth the effort to use one of those.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

We have the Anker 10000 and love it. Works great. It's ridiculously heavy but we like to take videos which drains your phone battery. That and temperature.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++