WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Shuttle from Albert Mountain?

My family and I planning our first section hike from Springer (skipping the approach) to Albert Mountain in mid March. It doesn't appear that there is long term parking at Albert Mountain - do shuttles service this location? I would prefer hiking to our car and shuttling to the start, but would it make sense (or be possible) at this location to shuttle back to Amicacola after our hike?

Are there better options nearby? Standing Indian Campground maybe?

Just keep hiking until you get to US64 and shuttle to Hiawassee. There is a gravel forest service road which comes close to Mt Albert, but it's a very long road, you'll have to navigate a maze to get there and there is no parking there.

However, there is a place called Deep Gap just before Standing Indian which has a sizable parking lot. The few times I've passed through there I've seen small cars parked there. That is also where the only approach to the Standing Indian car campground via trail is (I took that short cut once and it's a really rough trail down to the campground and was under water at the bottom). Once pass Deep Gap you have to do the full loop to US64 which adds a couple of days to the hike. If you look at a map, you'll see the two end points (Deep Gap and US64) aren't very far apart, but by trail it's 30 some miles.

That first section in North Carolina is a real butt kicker which starts out with what I call "The stairway to Heaven" out of Bly gap and Mt Albert is the first really steep rock scramble climb on the AT, but it's fun and thankfully fairly short.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I would end before or after Albert as noted above. Easier to set up transportation that way.

Oh, another thing I just thought of, those forest service roads may not be open or impassable in March.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Awesome thanks for the suggestions. I don't think we'll have enough time to make it to US64 - so will plan on stopping/parking at Deep Gap. Any suggestions on shuttles from Deep Gap to Springer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lifetime Section Hiker Berry Belle's Avatar

IN 2014, we had great shuttles in this area from two ladies named Joyce and Sally, and also from a guy named Gene Roll. We found Joyce and Sally on the ATC's list of shuttle services, and they referred us to Gene for a shuttle they couldn't do because they were going out of town. I would highly recommend both.
    "Are we there yet?"

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

It is a 4 mile hike from Deep Gap to Standing Indian Campground vis the Kimsey Creek Trail.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

It's only about 6 miles from Albert Mtn to Rock Gap and that section of the trail is fairly easy to cover in just a few hours. If it were me, I'd go on to Rock Gap. The Deep Gap parking lot is accessible if the roads are open but I'm not sure I'd leave my car there for that long. I'd rather leave it in the Standing Indian Campground and hike down via Kimsey Creek (as suggested) or one of the FS roads. The trail crosses several FS roads just before Albert...one just before you start the climb up so if you have a good map you could hike down one of these. But again, if it were me, I'd either leave my car at Rock Gap or plan for a shuttle pickup there. And...Rock Gap is still accessible even if Standing Indian is closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Just keep hiking until you get to US64 and shuttle to Hiawassee. There is a gravel forest service road which comes close to Mt Albert, but it's a very long road, you'll have to navigate a maze to get there and there is no parking there.

However, there is a place called Deep Gap just before Standing Indian which has a sizable parking lot. The few times I've passed through there I've seen small cars parked there. That is also where the only approach to the Standing Indian car campground via trail is (I took that short cut once and it's a really rough trail down to the campground and was under water at the bottom). Once pass Deep Gap you have to do the full loop to US64 which adds a couple of days to the hike. If you look at a map, you'll see the two end points (Deep Gap and US64) aren't very far apart, but by trail it's 30 some miles.

That first section in North Carolina is a real butt kicker which starts out with what I call "The stairway to Heaven" out of Bly gap and Mt Albert is the first really steep rock scramble climb on the AT, but it's fun and thankfully fairly short.
    I think I agree?? I'm not good with US this and that, I know it by Gaps. I would suggest continuing to Winding stair Gap, it is going to be your cheapest option.By taking chuttles down these forrest roads it is not only more expensive, but it takes longer, its more wear and tear on shuttle driver vehicles and these roads are not pavements so there is wear and tear there too. As well it will set you up well for your next length of trip. I would avoid Deep Gap as it is a loooong 10 mile (maybe a little less) Forrest road. I don't like parking on these roads for fear of blow downs over the road while I'm on the trail. It would make for a very long Sunday/ exit to come home. I am pretty sure that Albert MT access is via a side trail that I am unfamiliar with its distance but probably more then a few hundred feet. I have made a practice of parking directly on the trail via a trailhead. If I'm gunna put the energy into walking the AT I'm gunna walk on it as soon as I can and not exert my energy on a getting to it. A mile walked on a blue blazed is one less on the AT.
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 02-03-2016 at 09:55.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

It is also only 5.4 miles from Albert to Standing Indian Campground by continuing on the AT 3.4 downhill miles to Glassmine Gap and 2 miles down the Long Branch Trail to Standing Indian Campground.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

A few more miles to Rock Gap is an easy hike and a MUCH cheaper shuttle, or a few more miles to Winding Stair

Thanks for all the great info. After a couple of shakedown hikes we decided to back off our original plan and set Dicks Creek Gap as our goal (and leave car there). Some of us might continue on to Winding Stair Gap but having the car centrally located allows for some to get off the trail earlier if needed.

Thanks again for the advice!

++ New Posts ++