WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hot Springs, NC to Damascus, VA

Howdy folks,

My thru attempt will not be happening this year...So I am going to settle for a section hike between Hot Springs to Damascus. I think...

I think I would like to resupply 2 time during this hike. Or at least try to. Any suggestions about where I should resupply?

It looks like Erwin, TN is about a week away from Hot Springs. Would that be a good option? Or Elk Park, TN? Or what about Greasy Creek Hostel? What about one resupply and one mail drop?

I would like to hear suggestions about a shuttle as well.

I was thinking about leaving my car in Hot Springs and shuttling back from Damascus. I would rather walk to my car but having to drive back to Atlanta from Damascus after 200 miles doesnt seem very appealing.

So what say you WhiteBlaze?? I am open to any suggestions! Thanks yall.

i can provide the shuttle

I hiked that stretch as a section hike - resupplied at Erwin and Hampton, both via maildrops.

I hiked that section in the opposite direction, from Damascus to Hot Springs. I resupplied with mail drops that I sent to Black Bear Resort (at Dennis Cove Road near Hampton) and Uncle Johnny's in Erwin. If you don't want to mail drop, both the locations I mentioned have small camp stores, or you could get a ride into Hampton or Erwin for wider selections. Going NOBO as you are I believe your segments would be about 68 miles, 76 miles and 51 miles if you chose those two resupply points.

Bob Peoples' Kincora Hostel is another option at Dennis Cove Road -- I believe he accepts packages but has no camp store that I know of.
    Last edited by map man; 01-30-2016 at 09:47.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I hiked that stretch as a section hike - resupplied at Erwin and Hampton, both via maildrops.
    Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    I hiked that section in the opposite direction, from Damascus to Hot Springs. I resupplied with mail drops that I sent to Black Bear Resort (at Dennis Cove Road near Hampton) and Uncle Johnny's in Erwin. If you don't want to mail drop, both the locations I mentioned have small camp stores, or you could get a ride into Hampton or Erwin for wider selections. Going NOBO as you are I believe your segments would be about 68 miles, 76 miles and 51 miles if you chose those two resupply points.

How long did this section take to hike? I'm planning to do this section this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by B_Rizzle View Post
    How long did this section take to hike? I'm planning to do this section this summer.
    Everybody's different. I went in May and averaged 15 miles a day and hiked it in 13 days, but you will get lots of different answers to your question. The last 42 miles for a NOBO, from Hampton (US 321) to Damascus, is easier hiking than the rest of it.
    Last edited by map man; 01-30-2016 at 09:54.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Erwin TN and Hampton TN
    AT2015 GA-ME

Thats great! I plan to be in Damascus the first weekend of May. Unless you think I should wait for trail days?

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    Thats great! I plan to be in Damascus the first weekend of May. Unless you think I should wait for trail days?

That was suppose to be a response to LW's post.

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post

Bob Peoples' Kincora Hostel is another option at Dennis Cove Road -- I believe he accepts packages but has no camp store that I know of.

Yeah I definitely need to do 2 resupplies on this trip. Does Black Bear Resort and Uncle Johnnys have enough for full resupply?

Anyone have an experience with Greasy Creek? AWOL's guide says it has a "well stocked store including snacks and meals for multi-day resupply". Thats pretty much what I need. and possibly a shower. And its only 1.2 mi round trip off the AT.

Journal Entries

Id do maildrops at uncle johnnys and mountain harbor. Both right on trail. Both also have some limited items.
    Uncle johnnys is pretty ....basic (to use a polite word). MH is awesome.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-31-2016 at 23:44.

Images

Uncle Johnny's does free shuttles to the grocery store in Erwin for guests. Didn't stop at Greasy Creek.

Definitely recommend stopping at Mountain Harbour as well (the breakfast alone is worth it!) but I'm not sure about resupply options there.

Black Bear Resort is good for mail drops but not so much for resupply. However, you can get into Hampton pretty easily from the trail. Just north of the Laurel Fork shelter there's a blue blaze that drops you off on Hwy 321 right at the edge of town. It's only a short walk to the grocery store from there.

FWIW, I did the section from I-40 to Dennis Cove in 13 days with only one resupply.
    It's all good in the woods.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Erwin and Hampton are your best points.

You can also hit up Hemlock Hollow north of Allen Gap as well.

Erwin will have full grocery stores and convenience stores.

You can stop at 19E and go into Roan Mtn to Dollar General. There is a small market but I have never visited it. PO, gas stations, and few fast food joints.

Hampton has Dollar General, gas stations, PO, and Brown's Market. If you reach Kincora Thursday mornings, you can do maintenance with Bob and get into town. Or stay at Black Bear.

I believe Connie at GCF has a decent supply of hiker food. I don't know if she does runs to town.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Looks like I will be using Mountain Harbour after getting a few recommendations. Maybe I will take a nero at Mountain Harbour (eat and shower) and send a mail drop somewhere else.

Google A. T. Hike 200 for a good read for that section. Actually it covers from Standing Bear Hostel to Damascus.

Quote Originally Posted by mtntopper View Post
    Google A. T. Hike 200 for a good read for that section. Actually it covers from Standing Bear Hostel to Damascus.

Right on. Will do. Thanks for the suggestion

I am going to resupply in Erwin, TN and Hampton, TN. It definitely makes the most sense logistically. So I will aim at resupplying at those two points but I'm just gonna go with the flow. Plans change and Im not totally sure what kind of ground I will be covering.

Most likely gonna make stops at Uncle Johnnys (maildrop or resupply) and Kincora (maildrop). With a nero at Mountain Harbour to grab a shower and some food, but that really depends on when I would arrive.

Thanks for everyone's help and responses. It is much appreciated. Any other suggestions/must see's or do's are welcomed!

When you are finished drive up to Grayson Highlands to car camp at the state park. Hot showers and quick access to the highlands where you can day hike around and plan your next trip. Maybe rent a bike and ride the Creeper Trail.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++