WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dipping....

A Special Breed of Crazy FFTorched's Avatar
    Images

Exclamation Dipping....

Does anybody smoke that hikes a lot? I am just curious, I recently quit smoking by switching to dipping. I was wondering if smoking seriously limits other members, I smoked a pack of camel non-filters a day and finally was at the point where walking a 1/4 mile to class was quite the chore, now that I've been dipping for several weeks now I quickly regained my stamina (it was embarrassing because I am a known hiker around school the fat kids would beat me and we wouldn't even be going to the cafeteria).

Yes I have gotten the lecture from girls, family, and friends on how gross this habbit is but I found after I switched the taste of a cigarette so disgusting I can't even finish one.
    " It's a fool's life, a rogue's life, and a good life if you keep laughing all the way to the grave." -- Edward Abbey

"Dipping" is a wonderful, healthy thing to do do. Maybe I'll start. Hike on.

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

it happens a lot. lots of thru-hikers that i ran into smoked. seemed like close to half the hikers were regular smokers. rolling tobacco and papers seemed to be the form of choice (cheaper, a pouch lasts longer than a pack of pre-rolled, and less trash -- no fiberglass butts!), although there were several pipes and regular cigarette smokers and even a guy who liked to light up a small cigar once in a while.

some folks only smoked at camp; most smoked on break; the crazy ones lit up while walking.

i hiked with some folks who did the dip once in a while, but it was hard for them to find in PA and NY and was more expensive. you might consider having someone mail-drop you some dip, if that's what you want, especially once you get up north.

that all said, you won't get far if you're smoking a pack of unfiltereds a day. but if you're focused on the hike you'll probably find yourself cutting back pretty quick.

hey Jester, what was that Billville chant? i heard it at Trail Days ... something about "we've all got lighters, but we don't all have cigarettes"? and "head? who said head?"

Journal Entries
    Images

"Dipping" is a wonderful, healthy thing to do do. Maybe I'll start. Hike on.
    Why not? Since you don't use Lekis you'll have a hand free for a LNT spit cup.

A Special Breed of Crazy FFTorched's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scotsghost
    you might consider having someone mail-drop you some dip, if that's what you want, especially once you get up north.
    Oh I'm from PA I know all about the high prices. My friends and I are pretty big hicks we call eachother when we find good deals on dip and where to go to get them. You know your a hick when your friend calls you at work excited like he just climbed out of bed with Heather Locklear just to say the guy at the gas station screwed up and gave him a roll of dip and only charged him for one.
    " It's a fool's life, a rogue's life, and a good life if you keep laughing all the way to the grave." -- Edward Abbey

I was lucky, my first dip came after a big dinner, which included 3 bean salad, 2 of which, later that evening, became lodged in my nose. I never dipped again and my Dad got a good laugh.

It might get you a shelter all to yourself. Having to be around that stuff was one of the few things about Army life that I truly loathed.

Journal Entries

The puzzle is why young people deliberately addict themselves to substances promoted and sold with the help of lies by companies so evil that they deliberately consign millions to horrible sickness and early deaths for the sake of profits.

Images

Default dipping

famous quote by my nephews and nieces Uncle jim dont give us no lip ,I smoke and I am down to 2-3 a day and have always smoked and hiked,but neither one is really good for you,I noticed that quitting the other funny tobbacco really has helped my hikes,by the way I have big lips so putting in some dip would really expand my horizon on the lip area ky

Images

the crazy ones lit up while walking.
    one of my ROTC instructors back in 1983 was an extremely fit green beret vietnam veteran. he used to run 5 miles before coming to PT (physical training) with us in the mornings... there he'd be, smoking while doing his situps, pushups, jumping jacks... then he'd go and run another 3-4 miles with us... and then light up again as soon as we'd finished... i don't know how he did it...

hey Jester, what was that Billville chant? i heard it at Trail Days ... something about "we've all got lighters, but we don't all have cigarettes"? and "head? who said head?"
    Well, as to the first line, it is from a poem I wrote entitled "Can I Bum a Cigarette." Maybe I'll post it on whiteblaze someday, but I don't want to encourage the poetry thing. Here's a quick one I wrote to explain why:

I've been to Trail Days and Gatherings and Rucks,
    And one thing I've learned is trail poetry sucks.

The second quote is from a chant given to us by Sloetoe, and is originally, I think, some sort of rugby thing. And of course, it being Billville, we've perverted it and made it our own.

By the by, I smoke, and I know I shouldn't.

Default I quit smoking

back in 1981. I used Skoal (man, I can't even remember how to spell it - I think that's right) to quit, as well as Copenhagen (I tried using it as snuff, but it burned my nose out!)

Realistically, for health's sake, consider trying to give up dipping (or "taking a rub") once you're over smoking. I haven't done either since about 1988.

I don't miss it now.

Save your spending money for beer - something friends will be glad to share with you!
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I just quit dipping Coppenhagen after using it for 28 years and it was hard. Everyone i talk to says it is harder than quitting smoking. You may think you downgraded your addiction but it may have been a major upgrade. Funny but true story, while i was in Peace Corps, my mother sent me 4 tins of Cope a month, then, one month, instead of my tobbaco supply, there was a Reader's digest with a story of some high school kid who was disfigured and died of Mouth Cancer. I had a major panic attack, started smoking and sent a letter to Grandma. Thank God my grandmother quickly became my supplier as there wasnt any chewing tobbaco anywhere in the country within a day's drive. I really loved my grandma...:-)

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

I took up smoking just so I could have the shelters to myself.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

I'll take some of that! I did and it was good!

Section Hiking to Maine. little bear's Avatar
    Images

I stopped smoking and started dipping and stopped dipping now i feel great no nicotine in the body
    Happy Hikes
    Little Bear

Lets see.....you got lectures from everybody near you, but you still want someone to say it is ok?

Blech...dipping is SO freaking nasty! Why, oh why would anyone willingly start it? Gum cancer? Tongue cancer? Gum disease? Yellow teeth? Yum! Oh now that is SEXY!

As an exsmoker, I can say, sure it is hard to quit-but it isn't THAT hard! Just do it, and know you are treating your body the way it should be treated!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Journal Entries
    Images

i just watched a program on dateline talking about the lesser of two evils, dipping is said by the pro's to be a whole lot less harmful........i dip, i've been dipping since i first set foot on the trail,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarbar
    ...As an exsmoker, I can say, sure it is hard to quit-but it isn't THAT hard! Just do it, and know you are treating your body the way it should be treated!
    I agree 100 percent. I smoked. I quit. It only took me three years of agony.

Weary

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

Far as I"m concerned....the hike is gonna be one hell of a way to go cold turkey!

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++