WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Buff, Neck Gaiter, or Balaclava for Thru Hike

Typical Mid March Start on the AT in 2018. Already have a 1.05oz Schampa Polypro Silkweight Balaclava. Yet, I have seen so many Gear Vids and thru hike vids in which the Buff seems to be getting a lot of use. I am not sure of the difference between a neck gaiter vs. a Buff other than there are some merino MidWeight neck gators that seem to weight much more than my Balaclava. Just wondering what people think - Buff or Balaclava?
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Maybe all of the above.

I use my balaclave to sleep in and my buff for the trail. Buff can be adusted up over the ears and face or used just to keep the neck warm. A balaclava can serve the same function, but imfind when used as a neck gaiter, its a little more constricting around the throat.

Images

I'd go with the buff.One thing it does is keeps your jacket collars a bit cleaner.If you haven't been out in much cold weather a buff stops cold air from going down around your neck also.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

I've got a Hobo Hanky and a fleece neck "gaiter". The Hanky is much more flexible.
    A lite weight chest protector for shirts an jackets that gap open at the chest is what I'm aiming at.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

I think Buff I'd just a brand, my wife has a merino neck gater that is much nicer for camping than my "Buff" branded one. Same size and elasticity. I find mine holds moisture more. Will post what brand the merino one is as soon as I figure out where it is.

Beanie (AKA watch cap) and scarf. Cheap, light, effective, versatile.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

For cold weather, I say a polar Buff is better and way more versatile than a Buff. I use a polar buff for my head and a buff around my neck here in Canada and have never had any issue even in coldest days.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I use my balaclave to sleep in and my buff for the trail. Buff can be adusted up over the ears and face or used just to keep the neck warm. A balaclava can serve the same function, but imfind when used as a neck gaiter, its a little more constricting around the throat.
    This is exactly why I asked the question. I am also worried about the constriction around the throat and it being ruined by moisture during the day, making it less likely to be usable as sleep ware. I am just not sure it is worth the weight of a buff for daytime use instead of the balaclava.

Hulu, would love to hear your wife's brand name Smartwool gaiter if it is the same size, elasticity and close to the same weight as your Buff. On Amazon it seems to be an issue getting true Buff brand that is not just rough cut on the ends.

Hope to get a few more posts and comments. These have all helped keep me on the fence.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I have a Mountain Hardwear Neck gaiter. Never found it constricting and actually can use it as a balaclava, ear muffs, head scarf, etc. I love it. It's usually the only thing I carry for my head and it does a great job.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I'm going to go with a buff, neck gaiter, cap4 hat and fleece hat.

Ferris Bueller's dad recs wrapping a hot towel around your head.

Images

Balaclava would be over-kill. Take a Buff-style "neck gaiter." IMHO.

By the way, I have a balaclava and almost never take it backpacking, certainly not in March.

Treated buff can keep mosquitoes off you, even in the summer time.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Don't over look the tried and true...Skarf, superdeeduper versital.

I have both a half buff and a full buff and find them rather handy in most cool to cold weather applications. I use the half buff as a ear warmer/headband (usually wicking off moisture from a cotton kerchief under it), and the full one as a balaclava that if you pull the front edges out a little around the face, works rather well in reducing exposure problems on the cheeks and chin.

Just my $0.02

Half and full buffs here as well.. love them. Incredible versatile given the simplicity.. A true multi-function item.

Buff and beanie for sleep in a hammock.

I have only one Buff brand buff... the rest are no name versions from Amazon. Work just as well regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    . . .would love to hear your wife's brand name Smartwool gaiter if it is the same size, elasticity and close to the same weight as your Buff . . .
    The Buff brand merino wool buff is excellent! My favorite go-to piece of winter clothing after my gloves.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

Started 29 FEB 2016. Had this:
    Alaska Bear® Balaclava Windproof Hat Ski Face Mask Fleece Hood Sports Mask Unisex

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Currently unavailable but on the 3rd or 4th day of my thru when we had 3+ inches of snow on Blood Mt, I was HAPPY to have it. Mostly used up to and over the ears, but just around the neck was nice on cold days. Wore a ball cap under it to keep the eyes clear.
    Last edited by Old Hiker; 05-08-2017 at 20:11.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

The layering principle holds true: more pieces give you more versatility. I use a fleece beanie hat and a buff, separately or together as needed. A balaclava is great for really cold weather, but often stifling in milder temperatures. My beanie pulled down, and my buff pulled up over my chin, together give me pretty much the same coverage.

Take whatever is comfortable for you. I only used my neck gaiter for like two or three times while hiking. I used it more at night during the first few months of my hike so comfort was a must.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++