Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Default Jarrard Gap Recommendations Please....oh, and biker-bar info

    Anyone have recent info on Jarrard Gap? Is there camping? Is a bear cannister required in October? Any warnings or advice?

    Also, just shy of Jarrard, at Henry Gap there appears to be a place called the 180 Diner about 1000-1500 feet off the trail. It advertises as biker-friendly, but that's not necessarily a bad thing (ie Dog Patch in MD is a friendly, wonderful place). Is there a way to get there from the trail and does anyone recommend or have a problem with the idea for an old lady?
    ...the maddest of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

  2. #2

    Default

    "The USDA Forest Service and Appalachian Trail hikers are experiencing fewer black bear conflicts along a 5-mile section of trail from Jarrard Gap to Neels Gap in the Chattahoochee National Forest after implementation of a seasonal requirement for all overnight campers to carry bear-resistant canisters to contain personal garbage, toiletries and foods. The requirement goes into effect again this year beginning March 1 and ends June 1." CLICK HERE FOR FULL DETAILS

    Henry Gap/ 180 Diner - Is there a trail to it? I don't recall seeing any advertisements for it although I was doing 20-24 miles through GA so I can see how I would have missed it. Ide say if its anything short of bush wacking it northwest from Henry Gap to get to it. I would ignore the "biker friendly" statement as if they are friendly to bikers they will be friendly to anyone willing to spend their money at 180 diner lol
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 02-02-2016 at 10:11. Reason: I was incorrect!
    Trail Miles: 4,007.6 - AT Trips: 70
    AT Map 1: 2004.8
    AT Map 2: 265.0
    Sheltowee Trace Map: 84.0
    BMT Map: 57.7
    Pinhoti Trail Map: 0.0

  3. #3
    Registered User FatMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-28-2004
    Location
    Grassy Gap - AT
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    There is plenty of tent space at Jarrard Gap right by the trail and water is available a short distance down the Jarrard Gap trail towards Lake Winfield Scott. There is also a dirt road that goes down to LWS. No canister needed in October.

    To the best of my knowledge the diner down from Henry Gap is closed. But it seems to come and go. You would also be crossing some private property to leave the trail at Henry Gap but I do not believe the owner has ever made an issue of it. There is a great biker place in Suches called "Two Wheels of Suches". It has camping too. But it is closer to Woody Gap than Henry Gap. It is open from March through November.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    There is plenty of tent space at Jarrard Gap right by the trail and water is available a short distance down the Jarrard Gap trail towards Lake Winfield Scott. There is also a dirt road that goes down to LWS. No canister needed in October.

    To the best of my knowledge the diner down from Henry Gap is closed. But it seems to come and go. You would also be crossing some private property to leave the trail at Henry Gap but I do not believe the owner has ever made an issue of it. There is a great biker place in Suches called "Two Wheels of Suches". It has camping too. But it is closer to Woody Gap than Henry Gap. It is open from March through November.
    Being at the end of a road (Dick Creek Rd), is it a less-desirable camping location or it that not really a factor? As for the diner, I'm not actually looking for a biking bar as I have no bike , but am wondering if this was a conveniently placed meal opportunity.

    Thanks Gambit, and FatMan for your info and advice. Fatman, you were away when Snacktime and I last ventured to GA, but maybe this time we'll find the opportunity to meet!
    ...the maddest of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Being at the end of a road (Dick Creek Rd), is it a less-desirable camping location or it that not really a factor? As for the diner, I'm not actually looking for a biking bar as I have no bike , but am wondering if this was a conveniently placed meal opportunity.

    Thanks Gambit, and FatMan for your info and advice. Fatman, you were away when Snacktime and I last ventured to GA, but maybe this time we'll find the opportunity to meet!
    In general, I frown upon camping next to a road.. My rule of thumb is at lease a mile from a road...Ive had a few (2-3) iffy road stays that I wouldn't want to repeat so my rule for about a year now is no road camping.

    Have a great trip!
    Trail Miles: 4,007.6 - AT Trips: 70
    AT Map 1: 2004.8
    AT Map 2: 265.0
    Sheltowee Trace Map: 84.0
    BMT Map: 57.7
    Pinhoti Trail Map: 0.0

  6. #6

    Default

    The road through Jarrard Gap is not open to the public. It is gated and only open to a property owner that owns land on the other side that isn't accessable from any other road. I think he don't even live there, and it is rare that he comes through. People camp there all the time.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-25-2015
    Location
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Age
    54
    Posts
    920

    Default

    Exactly. Jarrard Gap looks like any other gap. The "road" is little more than double-track crossing the trail. There is ample level ground for many tents there. Woods Hole Shelter is about 1.5mi further but feels more like 2mi as I'm convinced that it's a lot further than .2mi off the trail. There is some clearing for camping at the turn-off there too.
    Last edited by Uncle Joe; 02-02-2016 at 13:46.

  8. #8
    Registered User FatMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-28-2004
    Location
    Grassy Gap - AT
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    The road through Jarrard Gap is not open to the public. It is gated and only open to a property owner that owns land on the other side that isn't accessable from any other road. I think he don't even live there, and it is rare that he comes through. People camp there all the time.
    I concur.

    Teacher, let me know your plans when time nears and I will plan on meeting you.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    I concur.

    Teacher, let me know your plans when time nears and I will plan on meeting you.
    I will absolutely do so!
    ...the maddest of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •