WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

If you don't have your mountain legs yet, skip it.
    Flatfoot
    AT 2013, GA->ME
    PCT 2017, Mexico->Canada

I'm glad I did it on my attempt. And I will do it again on the next. Even though it isn't an official "start", so to speak, that's how I wanted my hike to begin. Just being under that arch was long (20 plus years) of hopeful planning. Amazing that a few stones and piece of wood had that much impact on me. The falls were pretty amazing, even in the tornado warning spewing out golf ball sized hail last April 19th. Haha Anyway, I don't know if this helps or not, but getting dropped off at Amacolola Falls was a great start for me. It's around 8.8 miles and 604 steps straight up the falls. Great photo op.

FWIW, if you take the approach trail and start early enough, you may well consider staying at Stover Creek shelter that evening, it's only a few miles north of Springer.

Journal Entries

We used the forest service parking lot (with no negative consequences) once for a short out-and-back weekend.
    When we did the Springer to Neels Gap section, we were shuttled to the parking lot and dropped off.
    I somewhat regret not having done the approach trail at the time, just because everyone says it's a beautiful hike. It's a long way to drive for an 8-mile dayhike. Maybe we will one day...

No joke in 2000 I was on the trail beyond the lodge for maybe ten minutes and found a complete pack just sitting the trail. no one around.

Quote Originally Posted by ChefATLTCT View Post
    No joke in 2000 I was on the trail beyond the lodge for maybe ten minutes and found a complete pack just sitting the trail. no one around.
    it was mine. i was in the woods droppin' a deuce

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    it was mine. i was in the woods droppin' a deuce
    see.... Ya should of just taken care of business on the trail like everyone else (or so the Hawk Mountain Shelter Thread might have you believe).

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Boo-Yah View Post
    still little confused, so if I don't want to do approach, what is best way to skip it. Where do we park or shuttle into to get to AT starting point?
    Here's a video of how to get to FS42 from Amicalola Falls SP using the 'preferred route'. Expand replies for driving directions. There's a few more videos showing general condition of the road and the parking area.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

some observations
    how to hike

no, I have read online stuff, I have Awol's guide, I have maps, I just wanted opinions? And see if people considered that a legit part of AT if we wanted to count that as part of a thru hike. I am a section hiker anyway, but wanted some opinions that can't be found in a book. Maybe I should of sifted through the search engine more. From what I have seen there are a lot of repetitive questions and answers on this forum, put mine in that long list.

Thank you

"I ain't as good as I once was, but I am as good once as I ever was"

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Since you're new here... I'll mention that the topic of the approach trail vs. the forest road comes up a lot. And to ask whether to hike it or not might just be seen as (or taken as) flame bait. There's no right or wrong answer.

In Slo's defense, not that he needs it: the logistics of getting to Springer summit are discussed in much of the literature, going back since... forever. Your opening post seemed to suggest you'd not done your homework.
    no, I have read online stuff, I have Awol's guide, I have maps, I just wanted opinions? And see if people considered that a legit part of AT if we wanted to count that as part of a thru hike. I am a section hiker anyway, but wanted some opinions that can't be found in a book. Maybe I should of sifted through the search engine more. From what I have seen there are a lot of repetitive questions and answers on this forum, put mine in that long list.

Thank you

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

I am little confused, is approach trail officially part of AT, how long is it? It is 8.8 miles Where does it start compared to where AT starts? The approach trail starts at Amicalola State Park and ends at the top of Springer. The AT starts at the top of Springer where the approach trail ends. What kind of hike is the approach trail, I am figuring straight up as with most starting points? It is similar to a lot of the AT in Georgia, but mostly uphill. Well maintained trail, for the most part.

Where is best play to stay if you want to do it? There are options inside the park, but I don't have any personal experience in this area. If you are planning to stop for the day at the top of Springer, you could stay outside of the park the night before, drive to the park and still make the hike in one day. Where if you want to skip it? I stayed at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega several years back, but they are still extremely popular for a launching spot. Nice place, nice people, breakfast in the morning and a shuttle ride to the FS 42 parking lot. You hike south 0.9 miles on the AT to the top of Springer, sign the book, then turn around and head north, retracing your path to parking lot, then heading north on new trail. Where do you come in at if skipping it? Whoops - answered above.

Driving down night before for early morning start, suggestions for hotel or cabin to rent? The Hike Hostel in Dahlonega - Josh and Leigh are former thru hikers and have launched a million hikers on their way. Well, not a million, they're still pretty young, but a lot of people start their hikes there.

Thanks for any and all answers
    Also, with apologies because I am OCD, you're quote is not quite correct. The actual lyric is "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    Also, with apologies because I am OCD, you're quote is not quite correct. The actual lyric is "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
    thanks and thanks

-

Thank you
    OK, my opinion - do the approach, easier drive/ drop off (the experience is supposed to be about walking not driving)
    go by / sign in at the visitor center - weigh your pack - peruse the sign in book for other hikers you will be meeting up with - see the falls - enjoy

What kind of hike is the approach trail...?
    It's exactly the same kind of hiking as on the AT, there's only two major differences: 1) On the Approach Trail you get to walk by the largest water fall in Georgia -- Amicalola Falls, which makes it worth it to me; 2) the blazes are blue vs. white, period. That's the only difference in the kind of hike on the Approach Trail.

Thank you
    If you were an actual troll you'd have to be pretty disappointed with the lack of flame posts with regard to your point about whether the approach trail was, as you put it, a "legit part of a thru hike". Pasts threads should give you tons of entertainment and some useful information.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    FWIW, if you take the approach trail and start early enough, you may well consider staying at Stover Creek shelter that evening, it's only a few miles north of Springer.
    That's what I did in '04 when I section hiked all of Georgia. Surprisingly, there was plenty of room at Stover Creek Shelter.

do the Approach Trail, it's a great hike and u see the waterfalls

drive down day before, get a room either at the AFSP lodge or the Super-8 motel in Dahlonega (about 20-30 min. drive to the park), there's a McDonalds right next to the Super-8

u can park your car long term at the AFSP visitor center parking lot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++