WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Second guessing myself

The nerves are really starting to get to me. I am less than a month from the start of my thru-hike and it seams like I am second guessing every choice I have made. Did I save enough cash? This is a big one. I have a little over $4,500 saved and all year told myself that would be fine. Now I keep thinking. "sure would be nice to have 5-6,000. My gear is another big one. I did my best to keep it light. I am not going out there with a 50lb pack. But with food and water my pack gets up to 30lbs. I was fine with this until now. Last month before I take off and I look at each item I am taking and almost instantly start looking for a lighter item. And it never fails that I find one that I did not see before. Am I taking enough. lol I am telling you if I don't get out of here soon I will end up taking the kitchen sink.

Trail etiquette is a big one for me. I snore. I am not going to lie some times I sound like a pig eating another pig alive. I plan to stay out of shelters and sleep in my tent to let other get sleep. But what about the smoky mountains? You must sleep in a shelter if there is room. I don't want to make friends out there just to have them hate me after the smokies because they could not get any sleep. Or hostels? I want to stay in hostels. I want to be a part of that. I can't wait to get to Neel gap and hang out with people.

I wish it was March 1 now so I could just get out there and get over the nerves. Sorry for the rant. I just needed to get it out. Anyone else second guessing now that your trip is getting closer and closer? Seem to start for me the second I could see my start date on the calendar.

You won't be the only snorer. Relax. Have fun.

Within your lifetime some would have called a 30lb pack weight with food irresponsible.

Journal Entries

A pig eating a pig? Sounds pretty loud.

My husband snores. If I'm tired enough, I just sleep anyway. Hikers get tired, so it'll be okay.

Lots of hikers snore in hostels and, I'm sure, in shelters without the slightest self awareness so you are more considerate than most. Anyone who is really sensitive to snoring probably already carries ear plugs.

I once shared a hotel room with a guy who snored like a pig eating a pig while reciting lines from a Tarantino film. He warned me in advance. It was as ugly as it was described, I wore earplugs, I survived. Don't sweat it.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Your money is fine, your gear will be fine. It is nice of you to consider others with the shelter situation...but they'll survive a few nights in the Smokies. Consider it part of their journey ;-) You still may get the opportunity to tent through there anyway.

Sounds like you're prepared. Have fun!

Starting the first of March as well! You plan on staying at the Hiker Hostel by any chance?

People sleeping in groups expect there to be a snorer, and most likely you won't be the only one.

How's your fitness? Do some overnight trial hikes with your gear. People who think they will get into shape on the trail often quit before the Smokies because of injury.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    How's your fitness? Do some overnight trial hikes with your gear. People who think they will get into shape on the trail often quit before the Smokies because of injury.
    And sometimes they make it all the way to Katahdin and then some.

I got stuck between two guys with sleep apnea in a Smokies shelter one night. Didn't get much sleep that night. Most everyone snores a little at some point in the night, usually early on. But if your a really, really loud and consistent all night long snorer, tenting when ever possible is a considerate thing to do.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

No plans to stay at the Hiker hostel. I got a hotel room with the family for a few days before I start. My fitness is ok. I am a big guy and have been doing some overnight hikes to get ready for the trail. Lost about 10lbs so far. Thanks for all the kind words. All I thought about this year was the hike and how great its going to be. Now the reality of what I am about to do is setting in. I really want to enjoy my hike and at the same time not ruin another hikers good time. Its funny, The thing I have enjoyed the most getting ready for this hike has been the long distance hiking community.

There was a guy at Neels Gap who snored so damn loud.... it kept me up all night.

My advice.... carry a few pair of cheap earplugs and hand them out. It's not fun to deal with.

I carry my own earplug now.

Journal Entries

The moment you start walking, your anxiety will be gone. It really is just(strenuous) walking, and sleeping, and eating.

Don't stress too much. I started out with 41 pound pack at Amacolola Falls and tweaked it down to around 35 at Neel gap, then to 30-ish in Franklin. You can only plan so much but when you get out there, you'll most definitely see you don't really need this or that, can send items home, and maybe even forgot something. I saw a lot of those foamy type earplugs for people who have trouble sleeping with snorer's. You won't be the only one, it's almost comforting when someone is. When it's too quiet I wonder what the mice and random animals are up to.

Images

Over half of all people snore to some degree, and probably 1/4 are heavy snorers. It's an inevitable fact of life if you sleep in a shelter. Experienced hikers will carry earplugs if it annoys them. Most hikers will be so tired they will sleep through damn near anything. Carrying a few pairs of earplugs for others would be a nice gesture, but certainly isn't expected. Avoid the temptation to spend a lot of money partying in towns early on so it doesn't become a habit and you should be fine. Be frugal, but eat well when you can in towns. A 30 lb pack including food and water will be lighter than many you'll see and isn't out of the ordinary. Wait until you see what some people will be carrying - consider it trail entertainment.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I wouldn't sweat that pack weight at all. The average pack on Whiteblaze is a lot lighter than the average pack on the trail overall so the numbers on here can scare ya, most I see on the trail are high 20's-low to mid 30's out of town and people do fine. I knew of a couple folks who made it to Maine pushing 50 on a regular basis. $4500 doesn't leave a ton of wiggle room but fine if you're careful with spending.

Lots of folks snore, your avoiding of shelters will be appreciated but it's hard to separate yourself like that in a hostel and people are understanding. If it bothers someone that much they can spring for a private room. As for the Smokies you can plan on being able to tent every night during the bubble season because unless you get there very early the shelter will be close to or completely full. I prefer not to use shelters and every night in the Smokies I just peeked inside to make sure it was getting full then went about tenting.

if you're really concerned about the snoring, take a baggy of cheap foam ear plugs to handout. Perhaps you will earn a name such as Seth-snore-us.

Trying not to hijack a thread here, but since y'all are talking about earplugs can anyone recommend some that are comfortable. I hate things in my ears and the regular foam ones just don't fit either(I have really tiny ears).

Snoring.. Does anyone remember The Viking Fork from 2000 or 2001?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++