WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I started with gaiters because I wanted to keep the rain out of my boots. That was until I realized that there's nothing that you can do to actually keep your feet dry. At that time, I was wearing goretex boots and had goretex gaiters. After several hundered miles, the goretex began to wear out in the boots and my feet began to get wet. Even days after it rained my feet were still wet because of those damn heavy leather boots. So I switched to running shoes and packcloth gaiters. No it doesn't keep the rain out (but neither did the other combo long term), but it does keep out pebbles, twigs, dirt, etc...and the entire combo will dry completely in the sun in just a couple of hours.

It's not about keeping your feet dry during the rain...it's about drying them out quickly after it stops raining.

-Howie

Quote Originally Posted by Heather
    Do they help prevent rain running down your legs and into your boots? I had this problem without gaiters and thought maybe gaiters would solve problem.
    I think it depends on whether the gairters are waterproof or not. When not wearing rain pants, and the rain runs down my legs, my feet still go squish squish, even when I'm wearing OR low crocks.

Other than that, remember that it's easier for scree to get into low cut shoes than high cut boots. So, gaiters are more useful when wearing low cut shoes.

You know, I don't think I stopped more than half a dozen times on my entire thruhike to remove pepples from my shoes and on the times that I did, I was grateful for the excuse to take a break. Unless your shoes are veritable pebble magnets that seems a weak reason for wearing gaiters.

wore very breathable low gaiters both times, kept stuff out of the shoes and the socks a bit cleaner.
    GA-ME 04
    GA-VA 05

I've never worn them, and like Mouse, have always welcomed the opportunity to take a break for a moment and pull the boot off. Digging out the occasional pebble or twig is not that big a deal.

I never really saw the need for gaiters, plus the tall ones make the wearer look positively goofy, especially the electric blue ones.

On the other hand, I know of a wonderful girl who did indeed get struck at by snakes more than once, and ended up with fang marks in her gaiters and not her shins, so you never know...

Perhaps chainmail?

I've gone w/short gaiters and w/o any, years each. While you might not always need them, I like gaiters more than not.

I wear OR short gaiters. They keep out foriegn matter, help keep socks clean, feet warm, rain/snow/sleet out. Protects a lot of the boots. Helps keep laces tied and protects most of the laces. The only negative is they tend to heat up the feet in the summer time. I also do not use gortex boots, this helps in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by hungryhowie
    I started with gaiters because I wanted to keep the rain out of my boots. That was until I realized that there's nothing that you can do to actually keep your feet dry. At that time, I was wearing goretex boots and had goretex gaiters. After several hundered miles, the goretex began to wear out in the boots and my feet began to get wet. Even days after it rained my feet were still wet because of those damn heavy leather boots. So I switched to running shoes and packcloth gaiters. No it doesn't keep the rain out (but neither did the other combo long term), but it does keep out pebbles, twigs, dirt, etc...and the entire combo will dry completely in the sun in just a couple of hours.

It's not about keeping your feet dry during the rain...it's about drying them out quickly after it stops raining.

-Howie

You must have had awfully cheap boots because the Goretex watrerproofing won't wear out after a couple hundred miles. I've put a thousand miles on my Vasque Sundowners and still work perfectly.

I'll say again that using high Goretex gaitors with light wt waterproof boots will keep you feet dry in extremely wet conditions. Anyone who claims otherwise does not know what they are talking about.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

I wear short ones...carry them and wear them when you need to. I wear them with Merrell gortex trail shoes.

Yes, I finally got tired of rocks in my shoes and went with OR low gaiters. They work great for me.

I may have posted this before, but, here's an idea for really cheap homemade set of gaiters from my buddy Rabbit.

Go to a nearby thrift store and buy a pair of really cheap sweat pants (50 cents or a dollar should do it). Cut the bottom part of the pant legs off (about 6 inches or so). Pull them up over your socks, then fold them back down and over your boot tops. They're not much to look at, but Rabbit says they're not hot and they do keep the rocks out.
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"] [I]"Mama always said there's an awful lot you can tell about a person by their shoes. Where they're going, where they've been. I've worn lots of shoes."
    (Forrest Gump; Greenbow, Alabama)[/I] [/COLOR]

Krewzer, did I meet you at the NOC in 02? Is that the same Rabbit that took me, Cooler and the 4 ladies up to his cabin near the trail? I drove by there last week and wondered if Rabbit was still there. Good people, good times, good memories

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default this topic is like religeon, very personal

and personally i like gaiters---
    pros- like having long pants while you're wearing shorts
    if you build up heat/cool off they are easierto pop on and off than
    pants including zip offs
    def. keep crap out of the socks and footwear
    def. keep the boots dry in tall grass/snow but rarely is that an AT prob.
    can be very lightweight and very breathable
    ex: http://www.orgear.com/home/style/hom...rs_trail/61100

cons- do look goofy as jack said but for me its function over anybodies opin.
    they aint free
    you do have to put them on and take them off so pay attention to which type of closure you get, from experience velcro is easier than snaps, though i've napped
    in a shelter with them on

i wouldnt wear them for snakebite protection though
    Start out slow, then slow down.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49

I'll say again that using high Goretex gaitors with light wt waterproof boots will keep you feet dry in extremely wet conditions. Anyone who claims otherwise does not know what they are talking about.
    really? that's pretty funny. are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    I never really saw the need for gaiters, plus the tall ones make the wearer look positively goofy...
    Well, I always look positively goofy, so. . .

I didn't wear them on my thru. And it had no effect on whether or not I finished. On the other hand, I have worn them on every other hike since, and I like them. Here's why (many points already made):

First, I am not a GoLite guy, so the extra weight doesn't bother me (though it may you).
    Second, they keep crap out of my shoes, and I know that I'm the kind of person that won't stop to take off my boots,and w/o gaiters I'll end up with blisters, 'cause I'm a moron.
    Third, they do keep my feet dryer in wet conditions than without them, even with long pants (you guys ever heard of blousing?) (Maybe not. After you put the gaiters on, you pull the pants out and over the gaiters. You get a whole 1776 breeches thing going on for free, which is very sexy -- just kidding, it's not -- and the rain runs down over the gaiters on the OUTSIDE).

Fourth, added warmth when it's cold.

I have OR high gaiters, but not the winter insulated kind. If I had the money I suppose I would buy the short ones for summer day hikes. But to each his own.

I dont wear gaitors. I have worn them during 100 mile trail races and found them to be more trouble then they are worth.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[quote=Jack Tarlin]I never really saw the need for gaiters, plus the tall ones make the wearer look positively goofy, especially the electric blue ones.
    =======================================

Jack ...is this just your opinion or has there been a survey to support the "goofy" claim ?? I don't really care much about what other people think when it comes to my looks ...but if I did your statement might offend me.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default gaiters

Never have hiked with GAITERS....i've hiked with many folks that LOVE 'em...but, like a load of hikers....i just use the time to sit on a log....take off the boots for a few minutes....& watch the world go by...while i take the miniscule piece of wood outta da boots....hehehehehehehe!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Geezer

For those of you who wore short gaiters, how tall were they? Moonbow Gear makes gear to size (something I need for my size 17 feet). They want to kow how high I want them made and I'm not sure. It seems to me that 8 inches should cover the space from the boot sole to above my boot, but should I get them made to go higher than my socks? I am thinking of wet socks wicking water down past the gaiter.

In other words, those of you who wore gaiters, if you could get them made any height, how tall would you have them made?
    Frosty

Taller than your socks Frosty. Short gaitors are just to keep dirt, twigs, pebbles, and some water out.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++