WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: grits

Default grits

Somehow the thread about mail drops got twisted into a conversation about grits. So I'll talk about grits.
    When my son was from early toddler to late toddler stage we fed him "baby grits" : grits, an egg, cheddar cheese, bit of salt & pepper, garlic, spinach enough butter. Baked would be great with the egg dropped in the center and not stirred in. a bit of cilantro. olive oil instead of butter??
    now at 21 he makes them for himself.
    Enjoy!

You'll like my grits!!!

Grits are a staple, must have food that is good any time of the day. Never added spinach and garlic before... gotta try that!

Fried grits are a specialty is some Southern Restaurants......

We eat grits as a side dish to fried fish. Yum! Fried catfish or mullet, hushpuppies, grits, and fried potatoes! Shut yo' mouth!

You can add tasty food to kindergarten paste too, but I'm not sure why you would. Enjoy your grits, cream of wheat or mushy oatmeal.

mini_154.jpg

Corned beef hash is far superior than grits... and none of that canned stuff.

Images

Shrimp and grits are the traditional Low Country fisherman's breakfast. Works for dinner, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    You can add tasty food to kindergarten paste too, but I'm not sure why you would. Enjoy your grits, cream of wheat or mushy oatmeal.

mini_154.jpg

Corned beef hash is mighty fine but not in the same food group as grits, an unfair comparison. Now, if you said crispy hash-browns are better than grits that would be fair.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

mini_154.jpg

just what we all need more animal fat

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    just what we all need more animal fat
    I was commenting on another thread how so many grits fans seem determined to convert me to being a grits fan. It's just amusing to me how they're absolutely certain that I'll like their recipe for grits.

So, coming from that angle... You'd love how I prepare my animal fat!

I was commenting on another thread how so many grits fans seem determined to convert me to being a grits fan. It's just amusing to me how they're absolutely certain that I'll like their recipe for grits.

So, coming from that angle... You'd love how I prepare my animal fat!
    whuld they come with a free stint ? ;0)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    whuld they come with a free stint ? ;0)
    I tend to remove most traces of the fat before serving my corned beef, so only a small stint is needed.

Most days I have a small bit of unsweetened plain Greek yogurt and a piece of fruit for breakfast. Once a week, I'll go crazy and have unsweetened plain old fashioned oatmeal instead. I like to live dangerously like that.

Images

Most days I have a small bit of unsweetened plain Greek yogurt and a piece of fruit for breakfast. Once a week, I'll go crazy and have unsweetened plain old fashioned oatmeal instead. I like to live dangerously like that.
    Talk about walking on the edge!!!
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    ... grits, an egg, cheddar cheese, bit of salt & pepper, garlic, spinach enough butter. Baked would be great with the egg dropped in the center and not stirred in. a bit of cilantro. olive oil instead of butter??
    Grits are amazingly versatile indeed. Just about anything can be added. And, they do need to be spiced up. Otherwise, ... bland.

Quote Originally Posted by ultrajoey View Post
    Grits are a staple, must have food that is good any time of the day. Never added spinach and garlic before... gotta try that!
    Agree they can be a staple... and much more adaptable than oatmeal or whatever that cream o' wheat stuff is.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Hillbilly pasta .

Thom

Next for the island people we'll discuss salted dried squid.

Never like grits. I think the first time I tasted them was in Basic Training, I thought it was cream of wheat. I watched a bunch of people putting salt and pepper on their cream of wheat and thought ***? I took a big ole bite, expecting creaming wheaty goodness and tasted...creamed corn. Complete turn off. Blech!

I was paid a compliment by a waitress in South Carolina when I ordered grits with my breakfast:

"My word...a northerner who likes grits! Now I have seen everything!"

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    I was paid a compliment by a waitress in South Carolina when I ordered grits with my breakfast:

"My word...a northerner who likes grits! Now I have seen everything!"
    Next you'll be telling us that you've figured out the Atlanta waitress Coke code!

Me: An iced tea please.
    Waitress: One sweet tea, coming up!
    Me: Can I get that unsweetened please?
    Waitress: Huh?
    Me: You know, without sugar?
    Waitress: I don't think we can make that.
    Me: Never mind, just a coke please.
    Waitress: What kind?
    Me: Huh?
    Waitress: What kind of coke?
    Me: What kind?
    Waitress: Orange coke, Cherry coke, Sprite coke, coke coke...

I love travelling for this kind of stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Never like grits. I think the first time I tasted them was in Basic Training, I thought it was cream of wheat. I watched a bunch of people putting salt and pepper on their cream of wheat and thought ***? I took a big ole bite, expecting creaming wheaty goodness and tasted...creamed corn. Complete turn off. Blech!
    Like a fine wine, grits are an acquired taste. You must havesalt, pepper, and butter as a basic. Plain old grits are terrible. Most of us feel your belch, if you tried them straight.

One thing you will learn about most grit eaters and that iswe have the ability to laugh at ourselves. We also don’t go all crazy when northerners make nasty jokes about our grits. I hope we never change.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++